The Label Of "Apostate" And It's Effects

by pale.emperor 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

In my psychology studies we've been examining the use of "labels" and how they influence peoples behaviour. I sometimes wonder if the GB or their helpers know exactly what they're doing when it comes to psychological manipulation.

It's been observed that by labeling someone or something it changes your entire perception of that person or thing. It colours it entirely, quite unfairly in some cases. For example, if we asks someone about Bob, and someone says "Bob is an alcoholic" what do we now think about Bob? Perhaps we imagine his home strewn with beer bottles. A man who lacks self control, most likely ill and selfish to his own desires rather than providing for his family. Alcoholics sometimes hide their addiction, so maybe Bob is hiding alcohol right now?

Is this an unfair label? I'd say so. Nothing is said of the fact that Bob is a recovering alcoholic. He's been sober for 18 years and works as a teacher in a blind school. He raises money for those affected by alcoholism and runs recovery groups.

Now lets take most of us on here. The GB have given us the label of "apostate". Fortunately for the JWs, the GB have lovingly told them their definition of an apostate:

“Suppose that a doctor told you to avoid contact with someone who is infected with a contagious, deadly disease. You would know what the doctor means, and you would strictly heed his warning. Well, apostates are ‘mentally diseased’, and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings.” - Watchtower 15 July 2011

Now, think back to when we were JWs, what images were conjured up when you heard that word? Placards, angry faces, liars, dangerous, mentally diseased? Little was ever said of that fact that more than half of us were converts, meaning we were apostates according to other religions. Or that Jesus himself is regarded as an apostate by the majority of Judaism.

This is why it's vital that the Watchtower society keep on throwing that label around. Why it's important for them to liken us to Korah when in fact it's the GB themselves who are Korah, putting themselves in place of Moses (anti-type for Jesus).

We're a lot of things, not just one label. If we pay attention to what labels we're using it changes our entire perception. The further into my degree I go, and the more I learn, I wonder more and more if the GB have actually studied psychology themselves. Even when I did my hypnosis course, there were things there like loaded language and misdirecting the audience which the GB use all the time.

Notice the language the magazines use... "we" and "true Christians think such and such"... directing the reader to a conclusion.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

paley - I'm glad you're studying such interesting and useful things. It's a smack in the gob for the WBT$.

I sometimes wonder if the GB or their helpers know exactly what they're doing when it comes to psychological manipulation.

I'm in 2 minds about this. I don't think it can be proven either way. However, I lean more to the idea that they are very well aware how to manipulate thinking. Whether they cam across it by accident or not. They are, after all running a scam, so they'll use all the propaganda techniques they can to con people out of their money.

Loaded language is one tool they use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjQliiPtVTE

• sir82
    sir82

My opinion (valuable or valueless as it might be) is that the GB have not studied psychology. They are, for the most part, nitwits.

JWs are far from the only group who use labeling to vilify their opposers. In fact, I'd say it is a hallmark of virtually any high-control group.

I think it just sort of comes "organically". Leaders of high-control groups tend to have similar psychological & emotional profiles - that sort of person is "drawn" toward trying to control the thoughts & actions of others. I.e., such people tend to join, then "float" to the top of, such organizations.

The methods for exercising control, including pejorative labeling of opposers, is something that "just happens naturally" - there is a path that virtually every such person or group stumbles across, that works for them.

Those on the outside, looking in, such as the professor in your class, can identify these commonalities. Stating it in stark terms makes it look premeditated, but I suspect (as described above) it is just a well-worn path that virtually all high-control group leaders eventually, organically find.

There's my analysis. That and a 5 pound note will get you a Starbucks latte.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Using labels is used by many to obtain an objective. In Nazi Germany, "dirty Jews" was used to dehumanize them and make it easier for Hitler to use them as a scapegoat.

The WT does know how to use it to. Whether it's the GB or the ones that run the show in the background - they've used it to destroy the credibility of anyone that has learned the truth about them and the organization.

I wonder how many JW's use labels in everyday life? My sister does. She uses it to elevate herself over others. So does another "anointed" sister. While driving by a trailer park, she would say it was full of "trailer trash". Funny how things turn out tho - she now lives in one and would be furious if she was called "trailer trash" But if the WT uses labels, then some that follow, would also be comfortable doing it too.

My favorite "apostate" talk said this "they work in satan's kitchen making ecoli burgers" meaning deadly burgers.

LOL Heap it on Satan's little helpers = GB (oh no! I labeled them)

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

My opinion (valuable or valueless as it might be) is that the GB have not studied psychology. They are, for the most part, nitwits.

Yeah, i think we can all agree there.

I think it just sort of comes "organically". Leaders of high-control groups tend to have similar psychological & emotional profiles - that sort of person is "drawn" toward trying to control the thoughts & actions of others. I.e., such people tend to join, then "float" to the top of, such organizations.

I think you're probably right actually. I dont think this religion set itself out to become what it has now become. It's evolved over time with the right (or should i say, the "wrong") people with the biggest egos and bigger personalities finding themselves in the driving seat.

Have you noticed how they always insert their own adjectives into statements to?

"The Russian government have unjustly banned our work." - well, according to the Russian government it wasn't unjust at all.

"The unscriptural misuse of blood".

Take out the adjectives and you're left with simple statements. Add an adjective and you're directing someones thinking.

"The wonderful forum writer Sir82 bought me a Starbucks".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

As I understand it the insight of labelling theory is that if you label someone as something then it prompts future behaviour in line with the label. It’s the reason, for example, why the justice system is sensitive about prematurely labelling young people as criminals. Young people who are labelled as criminals become criminals, whereas young people who are categorised as needing social support are less likely to become criminals. Labels are powerful.

In this sense I think JW use of labels is pretty dumb actually. They prematurely label people who have doubts and questions as “apostate” ironically ensuring that they do in fact become “apostate”. This may have worked during a period of growth when they could afford to lose large numbers of members, but as decline sets in I think it’s a policy that will increasingly backfire.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

sir82 - I think your right about the GB - it is the conclusion I came to.

My favorite "apostate" talk said this "they work in satan's kitchen making ecoli burgers" meaning deadly burgers.

A great example of a Hack of a speaker who thinks he is clever and witty.

p.s. if you properly cook an ecoli burger - it is perfectly safe to eat.
    But who cares about accuracy.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

After reading Steven Hassan’s book, “Combatting Cult Mind Control”I am now convinced that they (G.O.D.s) are completely aware of what they are doing.

The Borg Business plan exactly follows the techniques used by any Cult as described by Hassan. They are the “poster child“ for Cults. This could not happen but I accident or by coincidence. They have a clear and determined plan.

This book is a must.Read.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Good thread Pale it is very thought provoking. I remember many years ago a person we all knew who was labeled a apostate ask for reinstatement. This was in the late 1990's and it was very unusual for someone to be df for apostacy and he was reinstated. This stigma of once being a apostate stuck with him even years after he was reinstated. If I remember correctly the wt. rules were he could never be appointed as a Ms or elder again and used very limited on any minor responsibility's. Even though he repented there was a invisible wall built up around him for life. Just for not agreeing with some of the teachings of the wt.

At the time I was in total agreement with this arrangement but now I can see how this stigma could have a very detrimental emotional effect on someone. As a born-in this was a very normal thinking for me but now I see it contrary to normal human emotions. Cults like the wt. seem to know how to control people. Still Totally ADD

• Simon
    Simon

We should totally 'Trump' the Governing Body ... come up with a label and hammer it. Who doesn't think "crooked!" when they hear the name "Clinton" now?

The dishonest governing body ...

The lying governing body ...

The crime-riddled governing body ...

Or hey, why not the apostate governing body ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit