Dumb things JWs believed

by JimmyYoung 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

If I opened up the waters of my entire memory banks, I could turn the flood myth into a reality

Chiropractic, acupuncture and homeopathy were very common amongst my JW friends. Questioning those practices often led to similar emotional responses as if I had questioned the authority of the GB themselves. "It's from Jehovah!" They say. One particular alternative medicine "doctor" was very popular because he was, himself, a JW. I don't know what the actual connection was, but I was told that "Bethel sent" brothers and sisters to him. The friends would tell me about how he miraculously cured absolutely everything, by using all sorts of thoroughly debunked pseudoscience. It was embarrassing and depressing.

Several friends tried to get into multi-level marketing schemes, expecting that Jehovah would bless them with success and they could set their own part time hours and pioneer. Sometimes, they'd try to push the product on other JWs despite clear direction not to do so. It seems they were desperate to have success despite having no verifiable skills.

In similar vain, there is a huge racket for need-greaters to use phony academic credentials, including diploma mill degrees, in order to secure jobs and maintain visas. Thing is, many of them actually believe that their degrees are legit. Often, people who get these phony degrees know they're being dishonest, but these JWs, somehow, are completely clueless.

Lastly, for now, allow me to recount something a seemingly intelligent sister once told me. She told me that she had heard a talk where the speaker made a linguistics argument against evolution. The speaker explained that older languages used to be "richer" and more "complex" than current languages, demonstrating that human beings are actually devolving instead of evolving.

I kept quiet, knowing how well any objection would have been taken. I wanted to scream "THAT'S NOT HOW LINGUISTICS WORKS, THAT'S NOT HOW EVOLUTION WORKS AND THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS DEVOLVING!!!!!"

*sigh* Why was it not obvious? I guess I'm not one to talk. Despite knowing that things were not as they seemed, it wasn't always obvious to me that this religion can't be the truth. Also, when I was a teenager, I believed in the moon landing hoax conspiracy and was a devoted student of herbal remedies.

At least I can say I grew out of it all, and learned tremendously from my mistakes.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Poorly educated people who are under emotional stress are fodder for quack pseudo scientific medical procedures .

I knew of JWS who were heavily into chiropractors and homeopathy and whole bunch of quackery things, its like they didn't have any scrutinizing critical thinking skills at all.

....but then again its these kind of people who get into religious cults like the quack religion known as the JWS.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Don't discount the benefits of cutting an onion and putting it on your nightstand while you sleep. There is more to this folk medicine than you know.

Or it could be that the onion kept people (and their germs) a safe distance away?

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

How about that after every City, army, nation are destroyed and turned to rubble, that the Earth will be a really nice place to live on.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

HAPPY DAD:

Yes, the one about the cut onion next to a bedside is that it supposedly absorbs the bacteria/spores floating in the air. Then you throw the contaminated onion away. There may be some truth to this.

As far as all those other JW urban legends, beliefs, superstitions - I heard some of them. I also remember somebody in the congregation who wouldn’t eat Devil Dogs (cream filled chocolate cakes).. I found this out when we went to a deli to get lunch and they saw I purchased Devil Dogs with my sandwich and coffee. I was admonished that I shouldn’t do that 🙄. I got them anyway. Now, I’ll always remember that whenever I see this item in a store!

All these Witness beliefs are the result of several generations of people’s opinions in a ridiculous religion!

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

In the early 1970s, Nobel Prize winner Dr. Linus Pauling made some extraordinary (and unsubstantiated) claims about Vitamin C and the common cold virus. As quoted in that scientific journal Awake, Dr. Pauling is said to have recommended the consumption of mega-doses of this vitamin to "cure" the common cold, and the regular consumption of smaller (but still heavy) measures of Vitamin C to prevent ever contracting that disease.

Following this, there were those in the JW camp who took it to mean that "The Society endorses Linus Pauling", and commenced to pump themselves full of heavy doses of Vitamin C. In fact, excessive consumption of Vitamin C - certainly of the levels "recommended" by Linus Pauling - tends to the development of kidney stones (I knew of at least one case in which that happened).

Aside from the Vitamin C cult, an article in that other scientific journal, Golden Age (forerunner of Awake), once expounded the benefits of reverse-flushing oneself with the garden hose!

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

Alternative quack medicine.

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

Crap I had forgotten about Homeopathy. My wife almost died when we were dating because her mother and father would not take her to a Dr or hospital when she had rheumatic fever. They lived away in the country and had lived in a big city where there was a dipshit dr Rude who was a Homeopathy dr. He quit his job at GM to move to where the need was great and had no money in 1980 and had no good car to take her even to that Dr. I loaned him my 76 Chevy to take her to that Dr. She went down to 84 pounds. She obviously survived but it could have been different. I knew nothing of Homeopathy and thought it was a legit thing. Once we were married I took a look into it and found that the meds was like putting a drop of the herb or what ever the med was in the ocean. And the even dumber thing was that the more you diluted it the stronger it was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Of course the biggest and most dumbest thing the JWS believe is that the writings of the bible are inherently factual and not fictional ancient mythology.

Some have broken up their families, made themselves into human sacrifices for not accepting a blood transfusion and some have even committed suicide over these ancient writings promoted by corrupt devious religoius charlatans..(WTS)

How dumb and foolish is that ?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Old family ties. To this day I have an aversion to aluminum cookware. Poison

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit