I think Limbaugh is out and out wrong on this

by JimmyYoung 35 Replies latest social current

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

I listen to Rush most days for entertainment. I agree with him on some issues and disagree on others. But today he said something I believe is an out and out lie. He said there is no such thing as a flu vaccine. He then said there is a shot you can get that makes it less likely you will get the flu but no vaccine. I have to call a huge BS on this. I am not in immunology or any related area so can not be an expert voice on this but from all I have ever read the flu vaccine is a weakened or dead form of the virus that makes your body create antibodies so if you come in contact with the virus your body has a ready defense before it gets started. This is the definition of a vaccine. He also said in years past that the SG saying smoking is dangerous was over blown and now he has stage 4 lung cancer. As I said above I agree with him on some issues others IMO he is in the fringe crazy area in some of his talking points.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

He also said in years past that the SG saying smoking is dangerous was over blown and now he has stage 4 lung cancer.

At least he is not gloating anymore about how large the cigars he smokes are.

Rub a Dub

• TD
    TD

I think what he was probably trying to say is that flu shots are prepared for the strain(s) that are anticipated to be active during flu season.

Since this is simply an educated case, it's sometimes wrong and the strain you're inoculated against is not the strain that people become infected with.

After all the goofy and just plain wrong things he's said about the Covid-19 outbreak and SARS-CoV-2 in the last month, you would think he would be embarrassed and perhaps stick to topics he understands.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

After all the goofy and just plain wrong things he's said about the Covid-19 .... you would think he would be embarrassed and perhaps stick to topics he understands.

TD ...

I agree. But I think he could still squeeze a couple weeks worth of shows out of Hillary's email server and bleaching the hard drives. Then add a could weeks of Hunter Biden and he's got a month's worth of stuff to regurgitate.

Rub a Dub

• LV101
    LV101

I've heard couple doctors say it's hit and miss with vaccines for yearly flus. They're not down to a science like for diseases as polio, small pox, etc., etc., unfortunately. They might help one not have such a severe case - they're always saying the flu vaccine was ineffective this yr. etc., but the elderly should not miss getting one in my opinion.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

he is in the fringe crazy area in some of his talking points.

Rush has always been a loudmouth idiot who spouted off his opinions diverse from intellectually integrity.

That's probably why he got to be a popular radio journalist.

He proved outspoken controversial stupidity does sell in the market place.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I get my annual flu shots at my local Rite-Aid store. They always check with my primary physician and my cardiologist before approving it. I usually wander around the store for a few minutes while they check and then they call my name. It takes about 15-20 minutes altogether and the shots are covered by my medical insurance.

Most of the time the annual flu shots are combinations that cover all the common and expected strains for the coming year. Some are just boosters that extend the coverage for shots you had the previous season.

Because I have heart issues, my regular physician will always check with my cardiologist it she thinks that a new version might have consequences. So far I've not encountered any problems getting any annual new or booster shots. I've not suffered any major colds or flues over the past 15 years thanks to my doctors and Rite-Aid being on top of this.

I am hopeful that our current scientists and doctors will come up with a flu shot or combination shot that will reduce the chance that we get the Corona strain later this year and in future years. Remember that they have to get a broad sample of antibodies from prior flu survivors in order to create a preventive injection mix that can be counted on to work for most people.

I used to listen to Rush Limbaugh way back in the day and thought he was on the mark most of the time. But in those days he was more of a general reporter and commentator on the news. When he began to swing far to the right because he was carried by mostly uber-Republican leaning radio stations and he was trying to prove that the "left-wingers" were trying to take him down in order to cover up his drug abuse and other indiscretions.

Recently, I had to make a car trip from my home on the west coast to Colorado to visit with my brother prior to his passing. One of the few radio stations I could get out in the wide-open spaces in Utah and Colorado was Rush's show. I was shocked at how far to right he had actually gone since I last listened to him. It was almost like his script and talking points were written by our most high President Trump himself. Even some of the word combinations did not sound like Rush at all, but rather by something dictated directly by Trump.

My comments are not party related as I have been both a registered Republican (Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagan x 2) and have tended to lean conservative most of my adult life, but have also voted Democrat at times when I thought the candidate was more in line with my thinking. But our current President's approach to voting rights and dealing with the Corona virus are inexplicable and can not be supported. That has nothing to do with his party or whether he is favored by Rush Limbaugh or not. His positions on health issues are just dangerious.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I used to listen to Rush Limbaugh way back in the day ... But in those days he was more of a general reporter and commentator on the news.

Juan ...

I could not agree more. I used to listen to him on and off "back in the day" and found him somewhat entertaining. He was at times funny, played some parodies, etc.

I remember sitting in a parking lot at a client's location, having a late lunch in the car, when he reported that he was checking into therapy for his Opioid addiction. I can tell you, after he returned, he came back angry and it has only gotten worse ever since. I am not sure what he is angry at, maybe himself, but he has definitely become an angry, miserable person.

I may tune in for an hour or so once a week, but that's about it. Just like Hannity, angry men, no longer entertaining. Why even listen when it is just anger and you know what they are going to say. No real analysis, perspective, or a novel point of view, just anger.

But some people continue to like it.

Rub a Dub

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

His statement is at about 1 hour and 2 mins to about 1 hour and 4 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYBUdtIfCZs

• LV101
    LV101

I've only heard him speak on news clips but know many liberals who all have views like on here so it's a political preference more than anything else. I've heard he's changed a few viewpoints.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit