YOUNG PEOPLE ASK Should I Grow a Beard?

by neat blue dog 33 Replies latest social humour

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

When I was "in" for 32 years a couple of times I grew a beard and each time after a couple of months at the most I would get a visit from an Elder being polite and explaining I shouldn`t have one and when i would put my 2 cents worth in defending my having one they would then take a hard line with me.

Then one Elder tried to get to me by saying words to the effect that I`m being a narcissist spending more time looking in a mirror grooming my beard whereas when he shaves its over in a few minutes ? I kid you not that`s how it came across what he said.

And of course that I wouldn`t be given any privileges in the congregation if I kept it on.

Back then I was still indoctrinated and got rid of it.

However when I left in 1992-3 ,the first thing I did was grow a beard and I still have it to this day.

• littlerockguy
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

YOUNG PEOPLE ASK Should I Grow a Beard? - er, not if you're a Spanish woman ...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    smiddy - "I wouldn`t be given any privileges in the congregation if I kept it on."

Oddly enough, that was never an issue with me.

I could care less about "privileges"; I just wanted to look good...

...and well-kept facial hair can look really good on the right guy.

I've long theorized - even for years before I left - that one of the underlying reasons the Org didn't like beards was that (regardless of its Rutherford-vs-Russel origin), the WTS didn't want male rank-and-filers to look too pretty... a suspicion regularly and strongly bolstered by how bland and unattractive-appearing "spiritual" young guys were portrayed in the publications (hell, the prospect of having to deliberately look like the kids in those pics would actually put me in a funk sometimes).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit