Harmagedon backpack... Are we retarded??

by sp74bb 30 Replies latest jw friends

• oppostate
    oppostate

Having survived several major earthquakes, in the 5 and 6, one in 7 and an 8 richter scale during my lifetime I can vouch for the necessity of knowing what to do and where to go, but this carrying of go-bags was never something our family did. the important thing was helping your neighbor and getting in touch with family.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Emergency supplies are reasonable to carry. But, be realistic. In some places, a blackout is the biggest likely emergency--right at the Big Boasting Session. Or, you could be plunged in pitch dark while in field circus, if you are in a hall and the lights go out. Do you have a flashlight? Such as a good quality one that will not crap out after a few minutes? A Fenix LD22, or its equivalent, will come in handy and they are easy to carry right in your field circus bag. Bonus: They take NiMH batteries, which are easy to find and can last thousands of charges.

And what about knowing when to cancel the boasting session? A blizzard, earthquake, tornado, hurricane, tsunami, or major wildfire should cancel one. If you are reasonably certain there is going to be a problem making it back safely, don't go to the damn boasting session. You are better off at home with lanterns, flashlights, and rechargeable batteries than at the boasting session. (And the NiMH batteries can be charged repeatedly, so even if the blackout you planned for is a false alarm, next windstorm or flood could give you the blackout you prepared for--and I charge my batteries during a high wind watch or severe storm watch.)

For major disasters, I recommend knowing what is most probable for your area. You cannot be prepared for every possible scenario. But, I recommend preparing for the more likely ones. The dollar is long past due for a crash, so I suggest preparing with gold and silver. The power grid is not perfectly reliable--many saw a small thunderstorm result in a major regional blackout in August 2003. A basic knife, basic hatchet, fire starter kit, and similar supplies are easy to secure and will be worthwhile if you have to survive on rats and mice for a brief time. You may be prone to earthquakes, or tornadoes, or blizzards, or flooding. Best to prepare well for what is most likely in your area and not worry too much about scenarios that may happen once per sextillion years.

• Londo111
    Londo111

On the plus side, this reminds me of meeting demos as they used to be on occasion, that is something not scripted from HQ. It is livelier than most meetings are, with lots of humor. Watchtower could learn from emulating this demo.

• I quit!
    I quit!

This might be the most useful thing ever done at a Kingdom Hall. Most of your time there is wasted learning religious nonsense about the end of the world and how you will only survive by doing what doing whatever the nut jobs in Brooklyn come up with. At least this is practical information that might help you in the real world disaster.

• John Free
    John Free

The 25 people in attendance greatly benefited from this timely scaremongering.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver
    Hi John Free!

The 25 people in attendance greatly benefited from this timely scaremongering

plus the 7,215, and counting, video views....

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

@WTwizard , i could read your posts all day long.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

@WTWizard: I recently purchased a Fenix PD35 and I have to report I am very happy with the results.

• Scully
    Scully

Why is a bug out bag a great idea?

For instance, if there's a local disaster, every family member should have an emergency supply bag, containing some non-perishable food, water, a change of clothes, essential toiletries, some cash (or a way to acquire cash, like an ATM card to your emergency savings account) or gift cards, map, copies of medical records and ID, flashlights, essential medication and the like.

For someone in an abusive relationship, it's a very good idea to have one in a safe place outside the home (as well as a savings account the partner doesn't know about) in the event that they have to leave suddenly.

• Scully
    Scully

When I was a kid, the first demonstration I participated in involved being prepared for preaching under ban. I was pretending to be going Door-to-Door™ with an elderly Sister™. In addition to her sticks-out-like-a-sore-thumb green NWT Bible™ she carried a shopping bag on her arm, with some light groceries in it. She wore a kerchief on her head and was wearing a green sweater over top of her skirt and blouse. I was in a jumper with a white shirt with the long sleeves rolled up.

We went up to a "house" and heard someone yell from inside "Call the police, the Jehovah's are here!" (everyone laughed!) The Sister™ grabbed me and we hid behind a parked car in the alley (the podium) - she pulled my sleeves down. She took off the kerchief and put it around my neck, then she took off her green sweater and told me to put it on (it was like a long coat on me). Next she pulled out a *blue* sweater from the bottom of the shopping bag and put it on herself.

We came out of the "alley" and those "cops" couldn't find us anywhere!

We sure foiled those bastards!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit