Brexit...

by The Rebel 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

When I woke up to the result last Friday morning I wondered how long it would be before the Leave voters would regret their decision when the promises fail to materialise and the price of Brexit comes to their doors. Well it didn’t take long, but for different reasons. It would appear that some Brexit cretins thought they were voting for migrants to Leave the UK rather than the UK to leave the EU, so quite a few examples of racial hatred have resulted as many migrants have been told to “f**k off back to your own country, cos we voted to get our country back”. One voter said she now bitterly regrets voting Leave because of this. I have no doubt that many more will live to have similar regrets – this was far too important a matter to use it to send a protest vote to the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels, but many did just that.

As the Boris/Farage campaign was based on half truths and lies it was clear to anyone with even half a brain that the £350 million could not be spent on the NHS, for they had already promised that all currently EU supported sectors would continue to receive that support (that way they could appease the farmers etc who rely heavily on EU funding). And anyway, we know only too well from experience that even if the Tories had extra money in the coffers, their first priority would be tax cuts for the rich, with the NHS a long was down the list.

However, what I want to know is this, how does all this fit in with the King of the North v King of the South prophecy? Especially as we could be heading for an Anglo-American World Power headed by a pair of buffoons.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

You mean, how does global politics fit in with a fairy story?

Answer - it doesn't.

To your average dub however any and all political shenanigans are evidence of the nearness of the end and fulfilment of prophecies like KOTN even though the WTS has no fecking clue who the KOTN is.

• bohm
    bohm

Ultimate Axiom: The really strange this is that the UK is already in control of immigration from non-EU countries, and immigration from EU countries is a benefit to the UK when viewed in the big picture...

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"and immigration from EU countries is a benefit to the UK when viewed in the big picture..."

What is this big picture?

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Cameron called the referendum. He should have made preparations in case the Leavers won. They did and he didn't.

All the British power bases, the USA president, our Civil Service, most of our MP's, pretty well "The Establishment", wanted to remain.

The people voted to leave.

Now the establishment is reeling around in horror, looking for someone to blame and in total denial, ably assisted by the UK press doing their shock horror routine.

They should have had their bases covered.

And some people are hoping for another referendum???

I don't think so!

• John Free
    John Free
    • £227bn UK exports to EU

• £288bn UK imports from EU

It isn't in anyone's interest to tax imports. The UK will not likely get free trade deal, but it'll get a good deal that reflects the above. The markets seem to think so, the FTSE 100 is already above last Thursday's levels.

• Gargamel
    Gargamel
    • £227bn UK exports to EU

• £288bn UK imports from EU

I'm wondering how much of that export number is for financial services, because they are discussing moving that away from the UK.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I can't believe what England has done. I'm still in shock.

• bohm
    bohm

Whatshallcallmyself: "The big picture" is expenditures vs. revenue from immigrants, i.e. how much they benefit the UK economy. Here is one quote:

European immigrants who arrived in the UK since 2000 have contributed more than £20bn to UK public finances between 2001 and 2011. Moreover, they have endowed the country with productive human capital that would have cost the UK £6.8bn in spending on education.
    Over the period from 2001 to 2011, European immigrants from the EU-15 countries contributed 64% more in taxes than they received in benefits. Immigrants from the Central and East European ‘accession’ countries (the ‘A10’) contributed 12% more than they received.
    - See more at: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1114/051114-economic-impact-EU-immigration#sthash.5ekm1IGi.dpuf

Notice this is talking about immigration from EU countries, the UK is in control of it's borders and immigration from non-EU countries.

• bohm
    bohm
    Now the establishment is reeling around in horror, looking for someone to blame and in total denial, ably assisted by the UK press doing their shock horror routine.
    They should have had their bases covered.

Interesting theory. The wast number of experts concluded that leaving the EU would hurt the UK economy. More than half of the voters disregarded that advice and now the UK government is trying to deal with the fallout. It's a bit like taking a stupid decision and then blaming others for the decision being stupid...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit