JWs Changing "Baptism Questions" Effective May 13?

by Room 215 79 Replies latest watchtower bible

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I was Baptized along with my GF who is now my wife in 1960 ,I DA sometime back however my wife never has ,I`m confused as to what our status is according to the Borg?

Not that i`m worried about it just curious as to how they would view us ?

• waton
    waton
    yes, faithful brothers and sisters of the other sheep class can share equally with anointed ones in receiving God’s holy spirit.—John 10:16....The Lord’s spirit is available in equal portions to both classes,

fastJehu,

The baptism question is about God's spirt directed organization, not he individuals captured by it. There are a few rare souls that have not been tainted by wt woes, and produce the " fruitage of the spirit" despite the dominant suppressing attitude in it. .

• newsheep
    newsheep

Since the cult is no longer spirit directed does that mean Jesus isn't directing them anymore? Wasn't it Jesus and his holy spirit that picked them in 1914??? Invisibly???? Another ends to the 1914 dogma yet sad for the followers who want to live these drunken fat pigs fantasies.

• dozy
    dozy

It's an odd one - can't really figure this one out. A biggie - as the baptismal questions don't get changed very often and are viewed as very important by the Society. Well - candidates have till May 13th to be identified with a "spirit-directed" organisation - so queue up for the next 10 days while the window is still open.

I had always understood that the formulation was in harmony with the scriptural command to be baptised "in the name of the Father , Son & holy spirit". Now that the HS is no longer in the frame - where do they go with that one?

Is there some kind of change of "new thought" terminology coming up whereby the Society say they aren't completely spirit directed any longer ( which patently they never have been , anyway , as by theological definition the Spirit is perfect whereas the Society have made numerous mistakes ) , but kind of have "some of the spirit but not the full 100% holy spirit package" - or a kind of "time share" on-off spirit arrangement - kind of we have the spirit on Tuesdays , weekends and Public Holidays?

• eyeslice2
    eyeslice2

See summary below which I copy and pasted from an old thread on this subject.

I was baptised in the early 60s, so it wasn't a dedication to an organisation. I haven't associated for 20 years but as my wife is still in, I do occasionally bump into members of the congregation, besides which my mom and dad and other family members are still in. However, if I were to be pushed by the elders into saying that I no longer considered myself one Jehovah's Witnesses after all this time then they would announce that at the hall and those I do currently speak with would avoid me like the plague.

On the other hand, I was baptised as a Catholic at about 1 month old and have never practiced but I am sure that if I said I no longer consider my a Catholic, it won't mean that all the Catholics in my town would suddenly start avoiding me.

Baptismal questions from the August 1, 1966 Watchtower, p. 465:

(1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

Baptismal questions from the May 15, 1970 Watchtower, p. 309:

(1) Have you recognized yourself as a sinner and needing salvation from Jehovah God? And have you acknowledged that this salvation proceeds from him and through his ransomer, Christ Jesus?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for redemption have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to Jehovah God, to do his will henceforth as that will is revealed to you through Christ Jesus and through God's Word as his holy spirit makes it plain?

Baptismal questions from the May 1, 1973 Watchtower, p. 280:

(1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

The newest baptismal questions, from the June 1, 1985 Watchtower:

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There was a period in the 1930s when Rutherford tought that the Holy Spirit was no longer active in the world and Jehovah used angels to accomplish his wishes instead. Interestingly this resembles the Christadelphian teaching on the Holy Spirit because they traditionally hold that the Holy Spirit is no longer active on earth since the death of the apostles, except through the pages of the inspired scriptures.

• eyeslice2
    eyeslice2

.... also will this mean that elders will no longer be 'spirit appointed'? Given the track record of many, it is blatantly obvious they aren't.

• tiki
    tiki

So...given the nature of changes to the questions...I am thinking that my dunk in 1966 is no longer valid. Excellent!

• newsheep
    newsheep

Could it be the holy spirit is now holy spirited fractions?

• dougobrien2019
    dougobrien2019

Hmm? Interesting observation. I was baptized in 1971 when the second question involved being baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. It was changed in 1985 and I didn't even notice, shame on me. The change to include "spirit directed organization" put a new spin on matters. The removal of "spirit directed" in the question leaves me scratching my head. I would be afraid to ask an elder why for fear of reprisal. Would the change in wording nullify my dedication? I have never made any formal declaration verbally or in writing.

In view of the recent scandal against WT regarding child abuse mishandling, I wonder if this would be the reason for WT to drop the spirit directed wording from the question? I do not have arguments or debates over certain doctrinal issues such as the sanctity of God's name, the position of Jesus Christ and his role, the power of Holy Spirit, the fulfilling of God's purpose for the earth etc.

I do take issue on the way WT has been endeavoring to make the GB a undisputable power over it's members, using bullying tactics and threats of expulsion and destruction of members who dare question their teachings or authority. I have been witness to the bullying tactics of several appointed men who have left a lot of damage in their wake, all in the name of Jehovah. Where, I ask, is the quality of love, compassion and mercy being displayed? I have been inactive due to poor health for over two years and have yet to get a "shepherding" visit. Love appears to be conditional only if you are a regular attendee and active in other pursuits. I have given much of my life to serve Jehovah without making waves. Now that I am sick and unable to participate as they think I should, I am a forgotten one. With so much emphasis being placed on making new converts, little effort is made to render assistance to those who have become inactive through no fault of their own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit