Everyone in a Cult, Doesn't Know They Are in a Cult

by The Bethelite 26 Replies latest jw friends

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate
    We need to spread that definition around. I'm so sick of the same old, "single charismatic leader", "single human leader" nonsense. Obviously there can be more than one leader, and using the word "human" is redundant. We can't give these cults any room to point at a mainstream definition and say, "That doesn't apply to us".
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Russell was kind of anti-organization and didn't like the idea of groups enforcing unity of thought and expression.

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

@Vanderhoven7: Yes. From what I can tell, CTR isn't really to blame. It's Rutherford who came along and started enforcing the culty stuff, and then everyone after him followed suit. A lot of elders could be cult leaders in their own right. I'm not saying every elder is that way, but a lot of them take themselves way too seriously. Once you can take yourself that seriously as a cult enforcer, you might as well take it a step further and become a cult leader.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

They fiddle with words and use semantic shift - yes mind control. They do conjuring tricks with words. They tell very clever lies that are designed to trap the unwary. They are a man-trap for Christians. Here's a YouTube I did touching on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW6I9TdA8kY

•  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

Yes I agree it was Rutherford who had no problem turning it into a cult. Knorr jumped on the band wagon until the they (not he) dreamed up the governing body idea.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''@Vanderhoven7: Yes. From what I can tell, CTR isn't really to blame. It's Rutherford who came along and started enforcing the culty stuff, and then everyone after him followed suit. A lot of elders could be cult leaders in their own right. I'm not saying every elder is that way, but a lot of them take themselves way too seriously. Once you can take yourself that seriously as a cult enforcer, you might as well take it a step further and become a cult leader.''

And I concur. In Crisis of Conscience, Ray wrote that C.T. Russell actually discouraged ''organization''. I can't remember exactly where it that wonderful book, but I did read that at least once or twice somewhere in there.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

We can thank the Hare Krishnas for the stereotypical characteristics that - up until recently - defined a "cult" in the public eye...

...these days, a cult is actually unlikely to involve robes, shaved heads, and chanting.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

No cult member would believe they are in a cult. They don’t know the real attributes of a cult, else why would they be entrapped in a cult.

All cults have a basic common thread. Us verse them. Meaning, we are special and god protected. The world is evil. If you leave, you would be destroyed.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

To me a cult means having total control over people's lives. This has evolved gradually. We had Russell predicting dates that didn't bring Armageddon. I agree he didn't mean to start a cult but other leaders followed him and the end didn't come so they demanded total obedience, unquestioning loyalty in the face of failed prophecies.

The GB seem to think any loosening of the bonds of obedience to doctrine and lifestyle rules would mean the religon would collapse. Also rewriting the history of the Borg and getting rid of old literature so they're living in a time warp.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Xanthippe - "The GB seem to think any loosening of the bonds of obedience to doctrine and lifestyle rules would mean the religion would collapse."

More a case of not believing that the majority of the rank-and-file would behave themselves without a short leash, actually. Ray Franz as much as confirmed this in COC.

That being said, I do think you're partly right...

...fakers, faders, and fence-sitters would leave much more readily and quickly if the WT leadership did loosen said leash...

...and if that happened too quickly, the bOrg would experience serious problems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit