Everyone in a Cult, Doesn't Know They Are in a Cult

by The Bethelite 26 Replies latest jw friends

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    I don’t think Charles Taze Russell meant to start a cult, I think it evolved into one over time

I don't know what he thought he was starting at the time, but he created an (Un)Holy mess

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

C T Russell was influenced by Pyramidology as was the Astronomer Royal for Scotland, Charles Piazzi Smyth.

Because the British used imperial measurements (construed as godly becuase the pyramids were built using an almost similar kind of inch which was supposedly in harmony with the entire universe), that meant they (the British) had the right to rule Egypt instead of the atheistic French who used the centimeter and were therefore cut off from ever being in harmony with the universe.

FYI John Taylor came up with the idea of the "pyramid inch". Taylor said the "pyramid inch" was 1/25 of the "sacred cubit" whose existence had earlier been postulated by Isaac Newton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Taylor_(English_publisher)

Then of course there was Adventism and the British Israelites. Piazzi Smyth (Uncle of Baden Powell who founded the Scouts) was a British Israelite.

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

Oops. I accidentally thumbed down Xanthippe's comment. I was trying to thumb it up. That's the first time that's happened to me. Sorry. I take thumbs pointing in any direction very seriously. I've played some of the best video games with my thumbs.

Edit: Okay so it seems like I cancelled out the thumb down with a thumb up. I'll be able to sleep tonight.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

The only way to make someone realize that they are in a cult is to describe another cult to them and let them connect the dots.

• blondie
    blondie

Shirley W, quite a few religions popped during the time Russell, started a bible study group with a few people looking at the scriptures that many felt talked about the end being near. The Millerites are one group that comes to mind who set the date as 1844, which did not come true, to their disappointment. Some of those religions survive till today in an altered form. Russell was not unique in his ideas. As some have said on the board, Russell would not recognize the WTS today and would probably be df'd if he were alive today.

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

@StephaneLaliberte

That Leah Remini interview with Joe Rogan is powerful in that regard. I swear, everything she says just hits home.

Points I remember:

1. Scientology discourages secular/higher education.

2. Scientologists are obligated to devote a certain amount of "time" to the "religion".

3. Scientologists learn to speak the same "language".

4. Scientologists are required to report the transgressions of other members to the leaders, lest they be held accountable.

5. Scientology has a culture of handling CSA internally.

6. Leah said that she always heard Scientology referred to as a cult growing up, and it offended her. I'm sure a lot of us can relate to that.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, but you get the point.

Edit: This wasn't in the interview, but I once heard John Travolta refer to Scientology as "the truth". He said something along the lines of, "I know I've found the truth".

• TD
    TD

It's been a few years, but a small experiment right here on this discussion board was really quite striking

(i.e. If your thinking had been short-circuited by double-think, would you even know it?)

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/195895/thought-control-simple-test-jws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit