Do JW get counseled for buying a home?

by thedepressedsoul 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I was curious, I couldn't find much on it. If anything, there are a few articles that give advice on how to properly buy a home, mortgage, good location etc...

Do you know if the elders can counsel on this matter or remove privileges over it?

I know a lot of JW that have bought homes but I never heard anything.

I'm wondering because I heard a pioneer say that it's "unwise" to buy a home.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

who cares what they think. give them power and there thoughts mean something. give them no power and they are like a fart in the wind.

• sir82
    sir82

Maybe it depends on the country?

In the US, I'd say the JW population mirrors the general population, the majority own a house rather than rent.

I'd say easily 90%+ of all elders & pioneers I know own their home.

• Landy
    Landy
    No
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99
    An individual may have a view but the WTS has no view other than doing what you can to "keep your eye simple" which might include unwisely getting into debt.
  • Clambake
    Clambake

The majority of Elders in my wife’s hall are renters. They are in their 50s and wouldn’t have more than 1500 dollars to their name.

At least you can get that rug cleaning and window washing contract for your apartment building.

Finical or investment advice from an elder .............LMFAO

• label licker
    label licker

We had a fill-in co give a local needs on putting everything into the ministry and in this time of the end it wouldn't be wise in investing in buying homes as well as limiting our recreational vacations and hobbies. Right after that him and his snotty wife bought a house, whom by the way was living outside the territory at that time like us and had the po(he was head of the RBC) round up all the young pioneers in the hall to go and gut out the whole house, supply a ton of meals and call in tradesmen to finish it off.

The young ones were pissed because during the week the trades brothers were getting paid yet on weekends the poor young pioneers had to come and paint and clean and not get paid a cent. They didn't know how they were going to get their time in along with making ends meet on the little wages they were earning from their carpet cleaning and window cleaning jobs. They were all working for elders who had big businesses and not paying much.

After that, you didn't hear a peep out of that fillin co and his wife and he never gave another local needs on not wasteing time on material things like buying houses and vacations. The elders did this for one other couple who were best friends with the fillin and his wife. Their apartment was owned by his mother who had her whole building fixed up with all free pioneer labor all the while collecting rent from seven apartments total and not one cent went to the pioneers who did all the work. It was really pathetic to listen to when you had to work with one of these ones in service. All they did was complain about it.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    No.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Eldubs couldn't possibly give counsel on buying a home.

Some of these big Elders live in homes that you might see in Beverly Hills, U.S.A. or a small castle on the countryside of France.

• freddo
    freddo

In the glorious decade before 1975 there were hints and comments about not buying "so close to the end". Couched in terms of "Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes ... [to] pioneer ... Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end. - 1 John 2 v 17." (KM5/74 p.3)

Mind you some also mortgaged to the hilt thinking they wouldn't have to pay it back cuz armaggeddy was a'comin'! Ha!

But after the '75 debacle there were enough with their fingers burned to warn their kids. So no aggro round here about buying a property since then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit