Is most of the promotion of creationism, not just that by the WT, charlatanism?

by Disillusioned JW 86 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hooberus
    hooberus

Interest

Even if the "Precambrian rabbits" turned out to be genuine, they would not instantly refute the theory of evolution, because that theory is a large package of ideas, including: that life on Earth has evolved over billions of years; that this evolution is driven by certain mechanisms; and that these mechanisms have produced a specific "family tree" that defines the relationships among species and the order in which they appeared. Hence, "Precambrian rabbits" would prove that there were one or more serious errors somewhere in this package, and the next task would be to identify those errors.[2] '

Interesting acknowledgment. I would also add that undoubted “fossil rabbits in the Precambrian” could also be explained by moving the date of rabbit evolution back in time. This is already done (on a less dramatic scale) when fossils are found in strata believed to be older than when it was previously believed that they evolved. This is sometimes called a “range extension.”

It would be a large time adjustment (within evolutionary geology) for rabbits, possibly requiring the assumption that all mammal, and reptile evolution had occurred much earlier than believed previously, so it could require significant, huge adjustment.

But evolutionary theory itself doesn’t exclude early fossils found from being complex, or being mammals,

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350
    Evolution can not explain

Well, yes it can, whether you accept it or not.
    And then the question is whether you accept, or don't accept it, based on knowing what the explanations are, or based on refusing to know what the explanations are.

But they never do. All evolutionists do is say it happened and is true, but they can not explain how anything happened. If it is true, then explain it.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I don't care about the use of the word 'creationist'. I'm just saying that JWs are not followers of the movement that says the earth is 6000 years old.

I haven't look into the Creation book since 1986. I have my own ideas about how it happened.

I believe there were 2 creations, one prior to what was written in Genesis.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Is most of the promotion of creationism, not just that by the WT, charlatanism?"

Yes, be it J.W org taking Genesis far too literally or 100 % Creationists even more so, both groups are Charlatans. They KNOW they are not promoting Truth.

• hooberus
    hooberus

“Precambrian rabbit[edit]

a precambrian rabbit not disproving anything

J. B. S. Haldane famously stated that "fossil rabbits in the Precambrian" would disprove evolution — and this has been a talking point in philosophy of science for some time. This phrase is reported to be a rebuttal to the accusations that evolution is not falsifiable. However, the reality of disproving evolution in this manner is quite complicated. As science is based on an interplay between theory and evidence a single point of data is not enough to completely destroy a theory - just as much as an excellent theory can't win out against overwhelming data. Such a thing as finding fossilised rabbits wouldn't cause scientists to throw the theory of evolution out completely and immediately, so a little more explanation is needed.

First of all, it must be remembered that the fossil record is merely supporting evidence for evolution. This is contrary to the ideas put forward by creationists that state the gaps in the fossil record prove evolution to be false. If the fossil record simply did not exist it would make no difference to the validity of the theory of evolution — indeed, natural selection was initially formulated without the aid of fossil record, and subsequent DNA evidence can stand completely without it. The simple truth is that a single strange fossil would probably not make much difference. In practice, the evidence in the fossil record which supports evolution is so overwhelming that a single fossil would be regarded as curious certainly, but compared to the mountain of evidence in favor of evolution it would probably be regarded as an anomaly while more data was awaited. Imagining the fossil rabbit in the Precambrian as disproving all of natural selection would confuse the specifics of an individual evolutionary pathway with the falsification of the whole theory itself, as mentioned above.

However, the existence of entire groups of anomalous fossils would be a different thing — Haldane did say rabbits after all. Again, in practice an effort would initially be made to fit the new data into the existing framework — this is not cheating but simply the way science works. But still, in principle some quite major revisions to the theory may be needed to explain them. Such a situation would not immediately and conclusively prove a special creation over a naturalistic evolution, however, a key point that creation proponents tend to stubbornly overlook. Eventually, a new theory would develop to include these oddities, but this isn't necessarily a special young Earth creation as this assertion would also require supporting evidence, and lots of it. Perhaps this anomalous group was due to a now extinct second genesis, which would be a remarkable find, but unlikely to disprove evolution outright. Regardless of what it was, this new theory would explain both the evidence we have now and the hypothetical rabbit fossils and would indeed be science fully supported by evidence.”

The above is from:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Falsifiability_of_evolution

• hooberus
    hooberus

So we see that evolutionary theory is flexible enough to accommodate “Precambrian rabbits”.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

markweatherill, would you like to make a post which gives an explanation from an evolutionary perspective to Rattigan's comments/questions about the two sexes? I would like to read it.

Rattigan are you truly wishing to have an explanation from an evolutionary perspective in regards to your comments/questions about the two sexes?

I think that if I think about the subject for awhile and especially if I do some research on it, I can probably come up with an explanation, at least a partial explanation. I already have some ideas (based upon facts known to me) which could contribute to the explanation. But I would only be willing to provide an explanation if I knew the effort was worthwhile, namely if I knew you really want an explanation and if I knew that such an explanation had a good chance of changing your belief on the matter.

• hooberus
    hooberus

From the bottom post on page 4.

The act of creation as defined in creation science is not falsifiable because no testable bounds can be imposed on the creator. In creation science, the creator is defined as limitless, with the capacity to create (or not), through fiat alone, infinite universes, not just one, and endow each one with its own unique, unimaginable and incomparable character. It is impossible to disprove a claim when that claim as defined encompasses every conceivable contingency.

How does a person test ‘natural selection’? ReMine documents how natural selection is composed of numerous mechanisms operating discordantly over a complex “fitness terrain”. Making the theory untestable.

Also countless (trillions) of universes are now another part of the evolutionary theory smorgasbord. These are conjured up to try to provide a rescue device for mathematical probabilities that point to the universe or origin of life being designed. Other universes aren’t testable, so it’s not a scientific explanation according to evolutionists criteria thst they try to apply to creation.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/sciences-alternative-to-an-intelligent-creator-the-multiverse-theory

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

hooberus, when I made the post (on page 6 of this topic) that Haldane and Dawkins said that Precambrian rabbits would disprove evolution, it was not just to say that they think such. It was also because for me it would be a huge problem for the idea of biological evolution being a fact and of the idea of the correctness of the prevailing Modern Synthesis theory (and its proposed extension) of biological evolution being correct. [I would also consider it as further disproof of the Genesis chapter one account of creation, since that account says that the first land animals were created after the first fish and not before the first fish.] Regarding the "extended evolutionary synthesis" see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_evolutionary_synthesis . hooberus, you might appreciate an expect of that extension of the theory, for the article says the following. 'Notably, Dr. Müller concluded from this research that Natural Selection has no way of explaining speciation, saying: “selection has no innovative capacity...the generative and the ordering aspects of morphological evolution are thus absent from evolutionary theory.” '

For me, the prevailing known fossil record is a big pat of the evidence proving biological evolution. The evidence from it (including the radiometric dating of fossils and of geologic layers) combined with the evidence from comparative anatomy and from biogeography are sufficient to convince me that biological evolution happened, and the modern evidence from DNA (showing common ancestry) makes the proof much stronger. But if fossil rabbits were found in the Precambrian and without any other vertebrate fossils (even of fish) found in the Precambrian and without any fossils of land plants found in the Precambrian, that would be extremely perplexing for me and a huge problem to me. Not only would it be very hard to make sense of from the point of view of biological evolution, but it would also be perplexing as to how could the rabbits (even if specially created by a god) survive without vegetation on land to eat? The rabbits could not live under water and I don't think they could dive into water to eat submerged plants without drowning. Perhaps they could swim and eat plants which were sticking up out of the water; I do not know about that. But they would have to spend much of life in the water, and it would be very hard for me to believe that Precambrian rabbits would spend much of their life in the water, hence I think there would be a contradiction.

If fossil rabbits were found in Precambrian without any other vertebrate fossils (even of fish) and without any fossils of land plants also being found in the Precambrian that would be extremely strange. While it would not disprove the idea of the evolution of life which came into existence after the Precambrian, it would make it extremely hard to believe that the Precambrian fossil rabbits evolved from life of other genera than the genera of the rabbits. To me it would be strong evidence against the evolution of the Precambrian rabbits. I think that because I strongly believe that fossil record is not incomplete in regards to not showing the existence of fish, reptiles, non-Rabbit mammals, and land plants in the Precambrian. I think the absence of fossil evidence of such is evidence that such life did exist in the Precambrian, and thus if fossil rabbits were found in the Precambrian it would be very hard to explain how those rabbits came to exist by an evolutionary process.

Fossils of Precambrian rabbits would cause me to wonder if humans from the future time traveled to the Precambrian and brought many rabbits with them to that time. But it would be extremely hard to also accept that idea. But perhaps if Precambrian fossils were only a very recent discovery, then perhaps I would think that fossils of Precambrian fossils of other mammals and of other vertebrates would be found, including ones which would show transitional features supporting the idea that the Precambrian rabbits evolved from other general of Precambrian animals.

Regarding the https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Falsifiability_of_evolution saying "First of all, it must be remembered that the fossil record is merely supporting evidence for evolution ... Indeed, natural selection was initially formulated without the aid of fossil record, and subsequent DNA evidence can stand completely without it", I say the following.

It is true that the fossil record is supporting evidence for biological evolution, but prior to the discovery of the genomes of many species it was also key evidence for evolution (though some evolutionist scientists during the 1970s -1995 said the fossil record did not prove evolution, while admitting that other scientific evidence did collectively prove evolution). When I read scientific literature printed before 1995 I see the fossil record as providing a great deal of the evidence for evolution, though I wish it provided provided many more examples of animals with transitional features. Fortunately after 1995 many more examples of fossils of animals with transitional features have been discovered. Now we can see a clear progression of transitional features from fish without paired fins, to fish with paired fins, to fish with lobe fines, to fish with proto-legs and proto-feet, and to true amphibians.We also we can see some of the stages of progression of transitional features from amphibians to reptiles and from amphibians to mammal-like synapsids (formerly called mammal-like reptiles and sometimes still called such), and from mammal-like synapsids to true mammals. Likewise we see fossils of animals with transitional features between other taxonomic groups, including of non-avian feathered dinosaurs, of whales with legs and feet, and of that which is commonly called ape-men.

I am not sure that the claim of "natural selection was initially formulated without the aid of fossil record" is true. Darwin became convinced of evolution (which he and other people initially called transmutation of the species) largely from a combination of the fossil record and of comparative anatomy. For Darwin, another major factor was biogeography. Darwin started seriously thinking that evolution was true from his contemplation of the fossils he discovered during his voyages on the Beagle and from his observations of biogeography during his voyages on the Beagle. He came to believe in transmutation of the species (evolution) before he thought up the theory of natural selection as the primary mechanism of evolution. Such is seen in the notes which Darwin made (if my memory is correct about such).

hooberus, since you wrote 'So we see that evolutionary theory is flexible enough to accommodate “Precambrian rabbits” ' and because you wrote 'ReMine documents how natural selection is composed of numerous mechanisms operating discordantly over a complex “fitness terrain” ', I think think you might find interesting the following words from https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsfs.2017.0015 (in an article called "Why an extended evolutionary synthesis is necessary").

"The theory of evolution is the fundamental conceptual framework of biology all scientific explanations of living phenomena must be consistent with. As it does not describe a universal law regarding a single natural phenomenon, such as gravity, but rather the principles of organismal change over time, based on the highly complex inputs and interactions of a multiplicity of different factors, evolutionary theory cannot be expected to remain static but is subject to change in the light of new empirical evidence.

... Evolutionary biology, as practised today, does not represent a single coherent approach but includes sets of different topics and research programmes. "

The article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_evolutionary_synthesis lists the following predictions of extended evolutionary synthesis.

"Predictions

The extended synthesis is characterized by its additional set of predictions that differ from the standard modern synthesis theory:

1. change in phenotype can precede change in genotype[4]
    2. changes in phenotype are predominantly positive, rather than neutral (see: neutral theory of molecular evolution)
    3. changes in phenotype are induced in many organisms, rather than one organism[4]
    4. revolutionary change in phenotype can occur through mutation, facilitated variation[4] or threshold events[39][54]
    5. repeated evolution in isolated populations can be by convergent evolution or developmental bias[4][31]
    6. adaptation can be caused by natural selection, environmental induction, non-genetic inheritance, learning and cultural transmission (see: Baldwin effect, meme, transgenerational epigenetic inheritance, ecological inheritance, non-Mendelian inheritance)[4]
    7. rapid evolution can result from simultaneous induction, natural selection[4] and developmental dynamics[55]
    8. biodiversity can be affected by features of developmental systems such as differences in evolvability[4]
    9. heritable variation is directed towards variants that are adaptive and integrated with phenotype[4]
    10. niche construction is biased towards environmental changes that suit the constructor's phenotype, or that of its descendants, and enhance their fitness[2]
    11. kin selection[3]
    12. multilevel selection[4]
    13. self-organization[40][56] "

See also https://www.templeton.org/discoveries/extended-evolutionary-synthesis . So far I have only browsed the above mentioned articles about the Extended Evolutionary Synthesis, but I intend to read much more of their content since their ideas seem very interesting and very helpful to me. Some of their ideas remind me of what Francis Hitching wrote in his book called Neck Of The Giraffe. Despite a number of severe criticisms made by numerous evolutionists about that book and its author, Francis Hitching got many things right in that book and his book fascinates me. One edition of his book even had the subtitle of "Darwin, Evolution and the New Biology" (see https://www.amazon.com.au/Neck-Giraffe-Francis-Hitching/dp/0451624343 ). What Hitching wrote about "the New Biology" includes a number of the ideas which are now referred to as part of the Extended Evolutionary Synthesis!

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

hooberus, I notice that you wrote the following."Also countless (trillions) of universes are now another part of the evolutionary theory smorgasbord. These are conjured up to try to provide a rescue device for mathematical probabilities that point to the universe or origin of life being designed." As a result of scientific literature I read, I don't think that the concept of the multi-verse was thought up for the reason you state, though a number of people do appeal to the multi-verse idea to refute the idea of the universe being fine tuned and the idea of the universe being designed. The discovery magazine article which you linked to is interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit