Is most of the promotion of creationism, not just that by the WT, charlatanism?

by Disillusioned JW 86 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• waton
    waton

DJ, IT IS LINKED TO MY VIEW OF TIME, THAT SEEMS TO BE THE first DIMENSION, EXISTING PRIOR TO MATTER. the big beginning was just a point in time. the universe is still expanding into time.

the mainstream view is that time started to roll with the big bang, and we all have timelines, that spool out so to speak. .\or time is a flowing river.

i consider time as static, infinite in the past and future. the creator is not moving through time, James 1. but we do. for a time, some distance in time.

With the creator/ trice occupying time in all directions, past and future, the point in time, our universe, the temple had to be inside the creator, not the other way around.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Correction; In my prior post when I said "... atom of any element can" I meant to say "... atom of any other element can".

• jhine
    jhine

As a Christian l am curious as to how many deniers of evolution there are . I don't know any

Is this mainly a JW , Mormon , Deep South Baptist thing ?

I've just finished a book by John Polkinghorne entitled " Theology in the Context of Science" and am part way through another book by Hugh Ross entitled " Improbable Planet "

Polkinghorne was ( he died recently) a professor of mathematical physics at Cambridge and an Anglican Priest .

Ross is a Canadian Astrophysicist.

Francis Collins a physician - geneticist who led the Human Genome Project has also written about science in the context of faith. Notably in the " Language of God " .

All these men are Christians who have no problem merging science and religion

As l said l don't know any Christian who has a problem with this .

The comment above about seeing the creation account as an allegory and how faith has to evolve is pretty spot on . Genesis was written at a time when no one knew about the composition of living things , genetics , the make up of stars etc . It was written for it's time .

Incidentally Polkinghorne points at that actually we ARE all technically stardust . How cool is that?

Jan

• Sea Breeze
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

As I've said many times before, it's all moot, really.

Despite how hard creationists try to convince others of the scientific basis of their beliefs, the real reason is solely theological...

...their religious cosmology is dependent on the assertion that the Eden narrative in Genesis is historical.

If evolution is true, then Genesis is allegorical, and that simply won't work for them.

• jhine
    jhine

Wow Sea Breeze , that really surprises me . I would trust someone like Polkinghorne who was a Cambridge professor then became Canon Theologian at Liverpool Cathedral. He and the others mentioned know their stuff and have no reason to lie or " twist facts " .

If it makes no difference to one's faith then l see no problem in believing in evolution. In fact reading their books was quite mind blowing .

I would recommend " Improbable Planet " to people on both sides of the debate .

Jan

• jhine
    jhine

I would like to add that surely all Christians are creationists as we all believe in a creator .

So is it more old earth vs young earth ?

Jan

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I looked at this provided link -

https://kgov.com/genius-of-ancient-man-don-landis

Any event that has taken place in the past 15,000 years is human history (aka "ancient history"). Modern humans (i.e. Homo sapiens) have walked the Earth from any where from 150,000 years to 300,000 years. Modern humans. 300,000 years. Cave drawings and archaic navigation devices are not proof of anything in regards to creation vs evolution.

Neanderthals were human, but they were not the same species. Neanderthals (aka neanderthalensis) did live during the same time period as Homo Sapiens. Some even interbred. Then, about 40,000 to 50,000 years ago the Neanderthals were gone. Probably killed off by Homo Sapiens.

So, yes, Neanderthals made tools...just like Homo Sapiens, us. Neanderthals displayed high levels of IQ...just like us. Neanderthals are hominids - primates that walk upright...just like us. I also sit and watch crows take walnuts from my parent's orchard and place the walnuts on the nearby paved street so cars can crack the shells open while the crows watch safely from the powerlines.

Homo Sapiens, Neanderthals, gorillas, chimpanzees, etc. are all primates. If you are reading this, you are a primate that walks on it's hind quarters.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Jhine, Old Earth vs. Young Earth is not a salvation issue for sure. But, as time goes on and more and more scientific discoveries are made ... well it just seems obvious.

Dinosaur soft tissues, blood cells, vessels and DNA ..... that last 65 Million years? That's longer than it would take for the Rocky Mountains to weather down to sea level from erosion and to reform again!

That takes a tremendous amount of blind faith to believe that don't you think?

Hundreds of peer-reviewed scientific articles confirm that soft tissue in supposedly deep-age fossils is common... not rare.

There has never been a better time to be a creationist than now.

This one is still covered by skin and soft tissues:

The front half of a fossil of <i>Borealopelta</i>, an ankylosaur, with skin and soft tissue preserved along with the bones

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Here's a gorge that took millions of years to form... not. This location is about 15 minutes from my house and formed in just three days during a flood in 2002. I personally watched it happen.

And just look at the smooth contours of this land mass that undoubtedly took millions of years to weather down right?

Wrong. I'm actually older than Surtsey Island.

View of Iceland's not-so-old Surtsey Island from its coastal cliffs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit