Can you believe the opening song at the memorial tonight?!

by Indian Larry 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

DId anybody (who went to the memorial) notice the opening song?

Keep in mind that this is the most important night of the year for the witnesses. It is supposed to be all about Jesus Christ. It seems that the opening song should be one of praise for the person who not only had a part in creating the earth, and all life on it but also gave his life for us. Instead the opening song was a song of praise to the governing body/anointed . . . published by the governing body.

On memorial of Christ’s death the governing body assigned 8 million people to sing a song of praise . . to them. Song 147 - A Special Possession (1 Peter 2:9)

God has a new creation,

His spirit-anointed sons.

He has bought them from mankind;

His approval they’ve won. *

(CHORUS)

A special possession,

They’re a people for your name.

They love you. They praise you.

As one they declare abroad your fame.

They are a holy nation,

Who handle the truth aright.

God has called them from darkness

To his wonderful light.

(CHORUS)

A special possession,

Faithful to their commission,

They gather the other sheep.

To the Lamb they are loyal.

His commandments they keep.

(CHORUS)

A special possession,

They sure like to blow their own horn.

Also, I noticed that they did not mention the number of partakers from last year like they normally do. Kinda hard to explain when that number keeps going up

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Wow crazy just crazy!!!! They have no shame! Why won't more people wake up to thier crap I just don't know??!!

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley
    I noticed that they did not mention the number of partakers from last year like they normally do. Kinda hard to explain when that number keeps going up
    The number was mentioned (15k) here and the speaker said the fact that it is a small number is proof we are in the time of the end.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    I L - His approval they’ve won.

I always loathed these back to front Yoda type lyrics. That's because the writers are too dim to find a word that actually rhymes with the words the right way around.

You are right Indian Larry, where is the praise of Jesus? Nowhere, that's where.

Self praising popes again.

Koolaid will be served soon.

• ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE

That is so Apostate [by their own definition] and idolatrous ! Wow that's put a crappy taste in the mouth !

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

WOW!
    Is that really the lyrics of the song?

I am honestly gob-smacked!

• ambersun
    ambersun
    I am honestly gob-smacked!

So am I stuckinarut2!!

Surely, a memorial of someone's death, by its very definition, should be all about remembering that person who has passed away, not praising a group of men who are very much alive and kicking.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

ambersun, for your comments:

Surely, a memorial of someone's death, by its very definition, should be all about remembering that person who has passed away

JW Memorial is not just a memorial service for remembering Jesus death. It is also called "The Lord's Evening Meal" and hence includes remembering those who shared the final meal with Jesus Christ during his last night and those who are included in the covenant with Jesus.

not praising a group of men who are very much alive and kicking.

The 'spirit anointed sons' mentioned in the opening song does not simply refer to 'group of men' or the governing body. It includes all anointed christians (even those who are dead now), the first century apostles of Christ and other Christians (including women). According to JW's a vast majority of such anointed ones are already dead and are in heaven.The song refers to all the 144,000 anointed ones, not just the GB

Not supporting, but just giving you the JW perspective, since we are discussing about their memorial.

• Listener
    Listener

Drearyweather, where did you get that idea from, I can't find it in their publications?

• stillin
    stillin

I noticed that the older brother who closed with prayer actually slipped a few words speaking actually to Jesus into his prayer. I mentioned that to my wife who said that he was way off track in doing that. I said that it seemed to me that Jesus would appreciate hearing a word of thanks once in a while...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit