So ... Russia and Nato at war? Should we be worried?

by Simon 68 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

It seems unbelievable but Turkey (a Nato member state) shooting down a Russian jet fighter on their Syrian border seems to be "meh" news and no one is too bothered about it too much.

The world seems a bit upside down right now. I don't think a lot of countries really know who the hell they are fighting and who is and isn't on their side in it all and really what is going on.

Smaller incidents than this have led to major conflicts in the past but hopefully calm heads will prevail. China shot down a US spy plane years ago and the world survived and forgot about it so things will move on I'm sure.

I'm guessing the price Turkey pays for their Gas supply from Russia will be going up soon though.

Man, that Republican primary is sucking all the news attention from the room. It won't be a story until Trump says he'd shoot all Russian planes down and Carson tells us that the Russian planes were the Angels in the bible (while fidgeting and looking at the ceiling like Rainman).

• prologos
    prologos

"--China shot down a US spy plane years ago--" I remember it was a joyriding fighter pilot who did aerobatics too close and got caught in the propeller, any way, -- a long drawn out hostage drama, leaving the mighty USA dangling in an impotence stalemate.

Yeah, an interesting situation with The Russian base so close , and a narrow strip of Turkey that can be crossed in a few seconds near by. Reminds me of the Berlin airlift, with hundreds of allied planes in 2 corridors at all times over soviet controlled territory, and nuclear -capable B-29 US bombers sans bombs stationed in England. --

Now, the victim Russia,--An Ace in Putin's hand of cards, ready to play it when and how he wants to, at his terms. but he should remember the Gallipoli lesson.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

The no fly zone has been tested many times before by Russia. In my opinion, Turkey has been tolerant and lenient. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, it is a test. A game. Yes real lives are involved. My opinion is Russia pushed the envelope too far. That airspace can be defended. And it is being argued. To what avail? To let it be traversed is akin to letting the bully take your lunch money. The US is pushing the envelope with China. The US has a good reason to do so. But when a jet gets shot down, what will it lead to? These are war games. Nobody wants to acknowledge that, but it is happening and it is a test of wills and metal. Give boys a lot of money and weapons, see what hemorrhages they can cause.

• kaik
    kaik
    I am more worried on proxy war escalation. Russia will not start war with NATO, but it will punish Turkey. Russia will not let anyone crap on her, but it will calculate political cost on internal scene. The best way Russia can punish Turkey is to support Kurdish separatism.
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It seems unbelievable but Turkey (a Nato member state) shooting down a Russian jet fighter on their Syrian border seems to be "meh" news and no one is too bothered about it too much......Simon

.............................It`s a..

..................NOTHING BURGER..

......Image result for nothing burger

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

About 5 yrs ago I stayed in a villa owned by an old Dutchman in Bali. He was a retired Colonel with NATO. While having a beer he told me that when the USSR crumbled there was a crisis meeting in Brussels. NATO realised with no world enemy there would be no need for NATO. The next year there was a terrorist strike in Africa. He didn't say they organised it, they just let the intelligence slide....

So from what I can figure out NATO are pressing Russia to test their metal. Don't forget the Russians lost hundreds of civilians just a few weeks ago, they are pissed.

The danger in leaving major decisions affecting the whole world in military hands, you get a military response

• cofty
    cofty

Every family has the idiot who gets drunk at weddings and starts a fight. NATO has Turkey.

Unlike the rest of NATO Turkey's agenda is selfish and motivated by ethnic and religious allegiance. Their decision to shoot down a Russian plane was idiotic. Of course Russia should not have been so close to Turkish air space but so what? They flew across a projection of Turkey's border for a total of 17 seconds. They had left Turkey and were back in Syria when they were attacked.

It should have been the sort of incident where rational, intelligent governments summon the ambassador to a meeting without coffee.

Turkey cannot be trusted any more than Putin can.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    The no fly zone has been tested many times before by Russia. In my opinion, Turkey has been tolerant and lenient.

As if right and wrong have any place in situations like this. The Issue is not, who is in the right? The issue is how can we best avoid blowing up the planet?

So far since the invention of the bomb in 1945 mankind has somehow avoided annihilation, but it's probably only a matter of time. Someday world leaders with think "who is in the right" is a more important question than "how can we avoid nuclear confrontation?" And by the time they realise their priorities were wrong it will be too late.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    NATO should make it absolutely clear to Turkey they have no intention of backing them up. It's the only reasonable response to prevent escalation.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I read somewhere that the Turks breached Greek airspace over 2000 times ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit