When you were fully in, did you believe that you would not die?

by TTWSYF 66 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sparky1
    sparky1

On her deathbed in the Spring of 2000 my fanatical, 'dyed in the wool' Jehovah's Witness mother still thought that Armageddon was just around the corner. She told me that if she could just leave the hospital and get home, she knew that Armageddon was only a few weeks away and that if she could just hold on, she would live to be in Paradise. A very,very sad situation indeed!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Of course I believed it . Every dub in the world believed it . That was the big attraction.

• blondie
    blondie

I belonged to a rogue group that realized that anyone one of us might die any day in a car accident, etc.

What I believed was that I would not be executed if I was still alive and faithful to God at Armageddon.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    Magnum: I would have eternity. It turns out, though, that not only will I not have eternity, but I was robbed of even the few years that my peers had.

So true! I am still somewhat young (close to 40) and I am now starting to do things I would have done much sooner. Yet, there are things I have lost. Had I not been a witness, I know I would :

1. have tried out for pro football.
    2. become a lawyer
    3. learn martial arts
    4. have remained a bachelor for a longer period (travel, hunt, extended camping trips, etc)
    5. have about 3 "real friends" (I only have one).

Though I'm pretty proud of what I have done with my life so far, I still regret the fact that I wasn't entirely myself for the last 20 years as I was deeply influenced by that group.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Even if we no longer have that "Earthly hope", we're all perfectly free to believe in an Afterlife, now, if we want.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I believed that most likely I wouldn't die. I thought there was a possibly that I would be most likely not. And then I got married and thought we both could live on through the big A and we'd be happy ever after.

Now I have come to grips with the fact that I will die in the next 25 years or so.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

it was drilled into me that I would never die and I totally believed it as it was fed to me from birth on......life is to short

That`s my story too..

One by one..

All the JW`s who fed me that WBT$ BullShit as a JW Kid..

Ended Up Here..

Image result for Graveyard

• sparky1
    sparky1

Actually, from a 'mental standpoint' I was never fully in, so I had a rather odd outlook on the whole 'you will never die' concept. In the 70's, the Congregation Servant and the Bible Study Servant convinced me to put all my doubts about the organization aside since 'Armageddon will be here by 1975'. So I hedged my bets, put my nose to the grindstone, pioneered and became a Bethelite. I figured since Armageddon was coming in 1975 I had just two chances at life. Either I would live into the New System by Jehovah's grace or I would die at Armageddon by Jehovah's justice. Either way I felt that I had nothing to lose. Surprise! No Armageddon in 1975 and I have been trying to live life on my terms since 1980. The background noise and indoctrination are still there but I try my best to keep moving forward. I am a very, very fortunate man because I 'die' about three times a week anyway! "La petite mort" is the only death that I want to experience right now..................but I know that at 61 years old, the final countdown is on.

• undercover
    undercover

I was raised in the 'truth' as our culty dub friends like to say. As a child and into my teens I never really questioned it. I did wonder at times how it was that the generation that I just happened to be born in would be the one to see this earth shaking event, and then be the ones to never experience death. On one hand, it was kinda 'cool' to never grow old and die; on the other, there was this lingering doubt... what if this isn't the 'truth'. And of course, as a fully indoctrinated JW, I pushed those doubts out pretty quickly, never allowed them to surface longer enough to gain a foothold.

But as I started doubting other doctrines this one kinda fell away without much consternation. Once you realized that the 'truth' was anything but, it went without saying that to believe that you would live forever was preposterous.

• Thisismein1972
    Thisismein1972
    ttdtt. I am thinking the same thing here. Who would give you a dislike?

Is fisherman still active here?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit