Former Jehovah's Witness admits: We targeted grief-stricken as 'ripe fruit'

by Londo111 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

my uber elder brother told me that JWs like going out on holidays like xmas, mothers day, fathers day or any other day to find potential recruits. He said that days like that, people who are alone are ripe for the picking.

He told me that he has [on more than one occasion] found people in tears from loneliness and he was smiling as he told me.

What a f+#@%^! disgrace the WTS is. What horrible, judgmental, hypocritical, lying behavior the WTS teachings promote to their members.

Nothing like lying for the truth

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Of course this is not new and it can be seen at JW funerals where after the talk about a new Paradise earth to come and the following resurrection.

This is how many got involved in this cult, by being in a sensitive off balanced vulnerable emotional state.

Divorce, death of a loved one etc.

• Lieu
    Lieu

Meh, lying. Only the reason mankind was given the death sentence. And that whole Satan fellow being the "father of the lie", pfffft!

No biggie. Let's all lie, it's fine. We'll just call lying "spiritual warfare". Cause calling that poop in the toilet "rolos" changes everything.

Yessireee.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I recall a number of years ago how some sister got my ex wife to go through the news paper obituary and write to people who had just lost a loved one

I have a workmate who was called on by a JW who had gotten his name and address off of a registry at a mutual acquaintance's funeral. Lord knows how many others on the registry they called on.

• was a new boy
  • was a new boy
    was a new boy

'At times, funeral notices appearing in the newspaper have opened the way for writing a brief comforting letter to bereaved family members.'

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

The big question is: where were the loving, compassionate JWs when Lexie was sick and deteriorating, and the husband could have used some help?

• Dagney
    Dagney

In the territory of my old hall was a very large cemetery, Forest Lawn. You better believe those pioneers worked it, and they loved it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I have to speak up: this is painting with a very broad brush. OK some asshole JWs did this, but not all; not even most. A minority of uber-"spiritual" half-wits who were probably sociopathic with little compassion or empathy.

I was a pioneer and MS during the late 1960s/early 1970s. I never once thought of doing anything like this.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Nathan, you're right, I know that a lot of JWs are decent people with a good moral compass. The trouble being highlighted here is that the "minority of uber-"spiritual" half-wits" can get noticed, in this day and age. It only takes one idiot to ruin it for everybody else. This bit of negative publicity is terrible for the majority of JWs who are not sociopaths. It may, however, be helpful in light of the inquiry into abuse in care being conducted by the NZ government. In that it is another blow to the WT claim that JWs are lovable cuddle-bunnies that never do anything wrong, and that if they do, it was never because their leaders told them to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit