Do you think I should get something for my wife for her birthday?

by schnell 26 Replies latest jw friends

• schnell
    schnell

My wife is still nominally in, but only because it "makes me (her) happy". There is nothing academic about her beliefs and when I try, she interprets me as negative.

But then she cusses like a sailor and watches certain movies with me. *Shrugs*

Her birthday is coming up and it's also right around Valentine's Day. Should I get her something? What do you think?

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Absolutely. My wife is still in but I took her to a nice restaurant on Valentine's Day last year and she loved it.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Make sure the present is something that she absolutely wants. Then make a little game out of it and tease her. Call it an 'anti-birthday' present or a 'non-birthday' present. She won't refuse something that she really wants no matter what day you give it to her. Best of luck and I hope she appreciates your gesture.

• schnell
    schnell

Those are great ideas, guys. Anti-birthday present and a nice dinner. Love it.

Happy birthday hun.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Wrap it up....... but put this message in the box......... Romans 14 5 One person regards one day holier than other days, and another regards them all alike. Each must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 The one who observes the day does it for the Lord.

• Spiral
    Spiral

Yes. JWs never get a "special day" (even if you don't call it that). Don't give it to her precisely on her birthday. I think a lot of JWs would love to have holidays they just don't admit it. That was one of the first things we started doing once we lived in a different state from family.

• Simon
    Simon

Sure, it's the thought that counts and even if she objects now, it doesn't mean she won't look back and appreciate it at some point in the future.

It's between you and her, no one else and no one else's rules should interfere with that.

• OUTLAW
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Like Sparky said, don't call it a Birthday present and don't get a Birthday Card. Just give her a gift and tell her you love her.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd
    Not to change the subject, but I recently gave someone a birthday present for the first time in my life. I gave my history instructor an apple on his birthday, by no means an extravagant gift, but he really seemed to appreciate that I remembered. It felt good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit