Today's Text - Show Appreciation For Elders! LOL
Wednesday, August 10
Holy spirit has appointed you overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God.—Acts 20:28.
It is important that we show appreciation for God’s arrangement for shepherding his flock. Christian elders are a provision from Jehovah, who always acts in our best interests. The elders are “like a hiding place from the wind, a place of concealment from the rainstorm, like streams of water in a waterless land, like the shadow of a massive crag in a parched land.” (Isa. 32:1, 2) How we appreciate a shelter from a strong wind or from a chilling rainstorm! When the hot sun is beating down on us, we are grateful for the shade provided by a crag. These figures of speech help us to see that the elders provide needed spiritual help and refreshment. By obeying those taking the lead among us, we show how much we appreciate these “gifts in men” and give evidence of our love for God and for Christ, the Head of the congregation.—Eph. 4:8; 5:23; Heb. 13:17. w14 6/15 1:19
10 IMPORTANT questions that need to be considered:
1. If elders are REALLY appointed by holy spirit, then why are there so many among them who commit GROSS misdeeds?
2. If the answer for the above is "they are imperfect men", then shouldn't the holy spirit which is PERFECT guide such ones in a better way? After all, God wants what is BEST for his people, does he not?
3. If elders are REALLY appointed by holy spirit, shouldn't the holy spirit who KNOWS ALL THINGS alert the other elders IMMEDIATELY when an elder is doing wrong? How is it even possible that elders can get away with committing gross wrongdoing UNDETECTED for YEARS?
4. What EVIDENCE is there that elders are appointed by holy spirit? Hint: none
5. Elders provide "needed spiritual help and refreshment"? Then why are there so many JW's suffering from depression?
6. Elders are "gifts in men"? Tell that to abuse victims who have suffered at the hands of elders!
7. Elders are "loving shepherds"? Watch all the elders testify at the ARC proceedings and ask yourself HONESTLY whether they can be called "loving shepherds"!
8. We are told in the text to "obey those taking the lead among us." Should we BLINDLY obey those "taking the lead", like the Israelites who got killed after worshipping the golden calf made by Aaron? (who was ironically taking the lead)
9. If the shepherds DO NOT care for the sheep properly, are the sheep to be blamed if they wander off? (NO, so this is why I do not fear being destroyed by God if JW's turn out to have the truth against all odds)
10. What do shepherds ultimately DO wih the sheep which they shepherd? (see why this illustration sucks???)
So funny, I just said to myself, I am gonna read todays text, then go online and google" bible messages of the day"
And WT goes and brings out By obeying those taking the lead among us, we show how much we appreciate these “gifts in men”
And online it says Wednesday, August 10Lamentations 3:31-3231 For no one is cast off by the Lord forever. 32 Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love.
Read Lamentations 3
So basically WT is about obedience to man and some random online site talks about God showing compassion. Man I cant believe I never seen this kind of talk before..
I like your 10 points Divergent. How can sane JWs listen to these day's texts without sighing, complaining or exploding? It's all drivel... Please JWs : get a life!
The elders were the antithesis of refreshment to my family and me. They were more like monkeys at the zoo throwing their feces at the crowd.
Amazing how many verses are twisted by WT to arrive at the same place- Obey Obey Obey us you fools. Resistance is futile.
Very good points, I 100% agree. These elders are not appointed by God's Holy Spirit.. They're appointed by other men in the cong/org/GB..
bottom line if you don't obey them your beligerant and can be DF
we show how much we appreciate these “gifts in men” and give evidence of our love for God and for Christ, the Head of the congregation.—Eph. 4:8
Actually, Ephesians 4:18, the text they use to say that the elders are the "gifts in men" it is a flawed text of the NWT!!!
Ephesians 4:8Revised Standard Version (RSV)
8 Therefore it is said,
“When he ascended on high he led a host of captives,
and he gave gifts to men.”
These gifts to men are the gifts of the Holy Spirit, none a body of elders!!
"The elder are"like a hiding place from the wind". Oh sure they are when so much
wind come out of their mouth and rear. Let me stay in the storm. The elders I know
are going through hailstorms themselves created by the GB.