Serious Issue ....... that MUST be Addressed !!!!!

by Simon 42 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon
    I do support the use of the Oxford comma and two spaces after the end of a sentence.

I support the Oxford comma but two spaces is now wrong - the reason being that it was for use with typewriters and nowadays font's automatically have the spacing adjusted - one space character is correct typographically.

The title uses more than three exclamation marks and dots to grab our attention, which Simon then goes on to say he dislikes.

It was meant to be an example :)

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma? I’ve seen those English dramas too, they’re cruel. So if there’s any other way to spell the word, it’s fine with me.

Why would you speak to me that way? Especially when I always said that I haven’t got the words for you. All your diction dripping with disdain, through the pain, I always tell the truth.

Vampire Weekend!...great band!!!!

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Simon, Simon, Simon

You are being very biblical in your post. 3 times for emphasis!!!

just saying!!!

just saying!!!

just saying!!!

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

I,ll drink to that!

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub
    LoveUniHateExams3
    @the girl next door - we Brits spell favorite with a u in it ...

You Brits do everything with a flair. You even drive on the wrong side of the road just to be different. Or as I was once told by a very clever British lady, "you yanks do drive on the right side of the road but we Brits drive on the correct side of the road".
    just saying!
  • compound complex
    compound complex

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/us/oxford-comma-maine.html

Feb. 9, 2018

Ending a case that electrified punctuation pedants, grammar goons and comma connoisseurs, Oakhurst Dairy settled an overtime dispute with its drivers that hinged entirely on the lack of an Oxford comma in state law.

The dairy company in Portland, Me., agreed to pay $5 million to the drivers, according to court documents filed on Thursday.

The relatively small-scale dispute gained international notoriety last year when the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit ruled that the missing comma created enough uncertainty to side with the drivers, granting those who love the Oxford comma a chance to run a victory lap across the internet.

But the resolution means there will be no ruling from the land’s highest courts on whether the Oxford comma — the often-skipped second comma in a series like “A, B, and C” — is an unnecessary nuisance or a sacred defender of clarity, as its fans and detractors endlessly debate. (In most cases, The Times stylebook discourages the serial comma, often called the Oxford comma because it was traditionally used by the Oxford University Press.)

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

If I was directly quoting something someone said I would put the period the quotation marks

Crofty said " Its a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the noo."

Whereas if I'm just using quotation marks in my prose I put the period outside the quote marks.

Morpheus tends to be a bit of a "bleeding heart liberal".

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks CoCo on what a missing comma can lead to (i.e., uncertainty. So true.

On a related noted, a comma - or its absence - leaves room for more than one take, or, as in the following example, more than one doctrine:

"Truly I tell you today you will be with me in Paradise."

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Just to say I was taught at a pretty good school, in the UK late seventies and 80s, NOT to use the Oxford comma.

Out of interest. If anyone's interested....which they're not.

( I love eclipses tho. I use them for elongated pauses such as you'd use in normal speech, but only online not when I write normally )

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

what about the epidemic of posts without any sort of puctuation at all it’s just one long stream of words with no breaks in thought we are all left trying to figure out when one sentence ends and the next begins good lord almighty it is the most annoying thing in the world even proper capitalization is left by the side of the road to rot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit