Serious Issue ....... that MUST be Addressed !!!!!

by Simon 42 Replies latest forum announcements

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Steve and LV101, for your comments.

Since this is my profession, I will chime in with a link that has drawn no little interest:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/239701/more-on-punctuation

Note that the title reads out loud as "Moron Punctuation." ('Moron Punctuation'. [Brit.])

As already mentioned by other posters, there is an absolute distinction between American English and British English punctuation, e.g., the use of single ("inverted commas," I recall) and double quotation marks and placement of periods and commas within or without close of quotation marks. When editing, I make this distinction in punctuation, depending upon what side of the pond my client lives and writes . . .

CC

• Half banana
    Half banana

Girl next door, since you mentioned one of my favourite poets Emily Dickinson; Wendy Cope an English poet and academic gives a response to her unconventional punctuation:

Higgledy-piggledy
    Emily Dickinson
    Liked to use dashes
    Instead of full stops.

Nowadays, faced with such
    Idiosyncrasy,
    Critics and editors
    Send for the cops.

~Emily Dickinson by Wendy Cope

• sir82
    sir82

Seems like a good place for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7BXPKyikB0

• LV101
    LV101

Thanks, Coco. I love your English instruction. Think you should have an online class and grade no lower than a C!

Best -

• compound complex
    compound complex

You're welcome, LV101!

The retired teachers and professor of English and creative writing enjoy the class I lead (led?).

One of my greatest joys is teaching language arts to a pre-teen student with learning disabilities; she has been evaluated and tests in at 130-plus IQ. An entire team of educators is working with her. When she talks, one is hearing a "professor" explain in explicit detail this or that scientific matter of great consequence, IHHO.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Hi Coco nice to hear from you. Hope you're keeping well.

One of my greatest joys is teaching language arts to a pre-teen student with learning disabilities; she has been evaluated and tests in at 130-plus IQ - wow! She sounds much more like a pre-teen with learning plus-abilities!

I hope you and other dedicated educators help her realise her potential.

And then there's me. I've never taken the IQ test but I assume I'm average (100 IQ give or take).

Just gotta work with the hand I've been dealt, huh! XD

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Boy, some people have way too much time on their hands.

• Badfish
    Badfish

My Pet Peeve Is Those People On The Internet Who Capitalize The First Letter Of Each Word In Every Sentence They Write.

• amiable atheist
    amiable atheist

Punctuation matters:

"Let's eat Grandma." — "Let's eat, Grandma."

Correct punctuation saves lives.

A panda walks into a cafe. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air. "Why?" asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder. "I am a panda," he says, at the door. "Look it up." The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.

"Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."

So, punctuation really does matter, even if it is only occasionally a matter of life and death.

This book is fun and informative. I read it cover to cover in a day; and then I did it again ...

• LV101
    LV101

AA -- that's hilarious! I needed the laugh as this World Series baseball game is distressing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit