I would rather be in the JW cult than the ex-jw cult

by questioningmyfaith 60 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Gee thanks, yeah, now you mention it, I spose we are a rag-tag bunch of WT misfits and escapees here.

Funny that, it being an apostate website and all.

• mrquik
    mrquik
    We're a cult now? Do we get cookies? How about Kool Aid? Just the fact that we disagree openly about everything should have been your first clue.
  • Hecce
    Hecce

My two cents worth, this board and the WT are as different as night and day.

I come here post when I feel like, read what I like and have the choice of participating or not, as long as I don't break the rules I don't have to answer to no one and generally speaking I am free.

Compare that with the constant surveillance and suspicion in a congregation, try to open yourself even your most closest friends and you will see what happens.

• JRK
    JRK

I am more an ex-JW anarchist or apatheist. I am a no cult zone.

JK

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

It sounds like you didn't suffer from hurtful or abusive things growing up as a witness. That is quite rare, and I am happy for you. I am also quite jealous. I would love to not have the baggage that growing up a JW created for me, and I would have loved to simply walk away because I didn't believe. But the fact is, most people leaving the witnesses did not have the positive experiences that you seem to have had. If people on here sound angry, it is with good reason, and talking about it with people online is one way to deal with it and try to get past it.

It also sounds like you suffer from black and white thinking, which is very much a JW trait that is instilled from birth, so I think growing up a JW adversely affected you more than you think. Just because you had a great experience in the org doesn't mean most people have, and it is OKAY to have different thoughts and opinions about the JWs and anything else. I don't agree with everything I read on here, either. But this place isn't like the Kingdom Hall where everybody has to believe the same thing about everything. If you think the GB are uber upstanding guys ... you are allowed to think that. And people here are allowed to try to change your mind. And the best part is ...we can have an open and frank conversation about it nobody will be pulled into the backroom.

For your sake, I hope you are able to find a like-minded group of people that had a great experience with the witnesses, but just wants to leave. All four of you can support each other.

• JRK
    JRK

Sparrowdown,

I am actually wearing a Misfits t-shirt.

JK

• just fine
    just fine

It's hard to understand the dynamics of all the disagreements around here, when we all spent so many years around people with identical beliefs. Disagreement is good, and if you are sure if your beliefs no one is going to sway you from them, but they might help you to think along some different lines if you take time to consider other points of view.

i won't ever belong to a cult again.

• Heaven
    Heaven
    No one told me that if I don't join this forum, I risk my eternal life. However my parents told me I risk it if I don't join their religion.
  • EyesOpenHeartBroken
    EyesOpenHeartBroken
    ExJW is not a cult.
  • atomant
    atomant
    questioningmy faith l just dont like it here. l dont like it here either strangely enough but l keep comin back.l keep comin back because it reaffirms what lve been thinking about the jw's all these years.So ya can like it or lump it.or ya can stick it where the sun dont shine as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit