I would rather be in the JW cult than the ex-jw cult

by questioningmyfaith 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    Sorry if my post is offensive. I honestly just don't like it here

I don't like Yahoo's home page. The simple trick I found was to not go to it. Ta-da !!

The difference between us an the WTS is that we won't harass you for leaving or tell anyone else they shouldn't talk to you. Enjoy wherever you go.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    I like turtles.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

I hate it here, let me continuously stop by to say why

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

Well said @Simon

Perfect @freemindfade

My experience here has been nothing but supportive and positive. I've gone in spurts and am trying to find my stride in life.

In particular I'm not the needy type. Like not at all. Self made type that just plugs along but I've needed help. Really for the first time. Left home at very very early age never looked back. First home just couple into my 20's the whole nine.

The point is even as confident as I generally am I'm not embarrassed to say I'd been screwed without help of a handful of genuine folks I've met.

Yes some are very angry but can you blame them. Usually they were dealt with abusively. In my case it was on my own terms. I've noticed that it can really depend on how you've come out.

Regardless at least in my mind the worst thing you can do is go around making PSA's like this. If you're not interested and find no value....move along.

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Every religion is a cult, Jesus was ( to some as they would believe, still is) the leader of the largest cult the world has ever seen. Muhammad more successful. When you have these organizations use malicious lies to control and subjugate there adherents, you then must fight fire with fire. You see strong words used to describe what people have gone through and you perhaps confuse that with a ttatt hate cult. But you are wrong, as extreme as the witness are we have no choice but to, say it like it is.

Look at what extreme cults are capable of, Belgium terrorist attacks an extreme veneration of an ideology. You think the witness aren't capable of such atrocities? Look at the blood mandate how many do you presume die each year? How about the Malawi registration cards little rule? Might not seem as extreme as a religious bomber ready to kill and die for his belief, but non the less people die because of a mandate demanded buy a cult. I think your rant is directed at the wrong group. Good luck to you Sir

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I pretty much do not believe in god. This gives me a peace of mind concerning the false things I have been taught since I was a boy. I sometimes wish that I wasn't raised a witness but I know that I learned a number of great lessons as one.

I understand what your are saying and I have identified quite a few positive aspects of having grown up as a JW myself. Having said that, I also realize that even children who came from abusive homes or who lived during extremely difficult times in history, are able to glean fond memories and positive aspects of their childhoods. However fond memories, plentiful social contacts and positive experiences, do not mean a religion is teaching the truth.

I understand your feelings about the sometimes negative tone of some of the discussions here. I have felt this way at times but I remind myself that having grown up in the JW environment where people weren't free to express their true feelings about the world around them, may have left me a bit more sensitive than I need to be and it may have made myself and others former JW's here a bit unskilled at expressing ourselves in an appropriate manner, at times. For many of us here, this is the first time we have been part of a discussion group and we are in the process of learning how to share in an online discussion and how to sand the rough corners off the words that we'd otherwise get away with using in person because our tone of voice and facial expressions help convey our intent.

For me there is always something interesting to learn here but one does have to learn how to filter things out, learn not to take things personally and or skip over topics or posts that appear to be negative just for the sake of being negative. I also know that if one is on the lookout for offenses committed by others (very popular nowadays) they are sure to find them. That's why when navigating our way through the rough aspects of life, It's often better to put on a pair of slippers, rather than to try and carpet the whole world.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

There is no ex JW cult. This is just a discussion board of mostly ex and some current JWs. As with any board on the internet there are some great people and some not so great people, honest people and not so honest people. As with any internet group you should not believe everything you read, people can and do lie. There are some people that have posted here for many years that are open and honest and I trust them to a certain extent, but all others I take with a grain of salt. There are people that come here and tell stories that don't ring true, and those people I avoid. Usually they leave when they realise people don't fall for their b.s.

If you like the JWs and want to stay then no one is stopping you, but don't pretend you are choosing between two cults, that is absurd. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself on what a cult is and how they work. As a start you should check out howcultswork.com.

Cults have several methods they use to maintain control, such as claiming to be the sole source of truth. The Governing Body claims that, ex JWs do not. Cults do not allow you to disagree with leadership, if you are a JW you know you are not allowed to disagree with the Governing Body or even the elders. Ex JWs say what they want, here or anywhere else. Cults tell you who you should associate with, they control how you spend your time. As a JW you are discouraged from associating with those "in the world" and forbidden to talk to disfellowship persons, you have to attend meetings and engage in the preaching work. Nobody tells ex JWs who to associate with, and we don't fill out time sheets or have meetings to attend.

After learning about cults and how they manipulate people I could never go back to the Jehovah's Witnesses. It would be too hard to sit through a meeting knowing how they are manipulating people. I am 100% happier now than when I was a JW, I would never go back to a life filled with fear, obligation and guilt.

Lisa 🌹

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I received a picture of my long lost daughter and filmily yesterday, my sister who is not a JW received the

picture and a card wishing her well on her recent surgery. My sister told me she sent the picture to me

so I can see my grand daughters. If they passed me on the street I would have no idea who they were.

It's a ugly religion, full of hate all about control. If they stop the shunning today my daughter would

call me tonight.

My wife ask me while I was looking at the photo how do I feel? It's been so long since I have seen her

or talk to her, I hope she is happy.

How can any reasonable person especially after your eyes have been opened to the ugliness of that

organization decide to go back.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Simon - "The difference between us an the WTS is that we won't harass you for leaving or tell anyone else they shouldn't talk to you...."

You can even change your mind and come back without having to be "reinstated".

(Unless you forgot your password :wink:)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If open unregretted inquiry upon knowledge and information is a cult, please let me in .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit