KURD is the word - and the word is KURD

by Terry 65 Replies latest jw friends

• tiki
    tiki

Very interesting reads....I personally am of the mind that it is all about the oil and the money. Warring tribal factions still exist sadly enough.....history is littered with marauding bands and their atrocities. Set them in motion and have them sitting on a resource like black gold and yes....follow the dollar...you got a problem.

As an aside I always thought the king of the north would end up being the Islamic groups and south Christendom.... The hidden reserves, the oil the north rules over.....Isaac vs Ishmael.

If only intelligence, compassion and ethical behaviors could prevail....

• cofty
    cofty

Terry - your assertion that the Syrian conflict was not triggered by Assad's violent reaction to popular protest against his oppressive rule is the most outrageously biased and wrong-headed statement in this entire thread.

It is straight out of Putin's playbook and the sort of gass-lighting spewed daily by RT.

You are more guilty of subjective and manipulated opinions than your readers.

Read some books by real journalists who report from the ground in conflict zones of the ME. I could recommend examples if you wish.

Of course western governments meddle and of course some news sources are biased. That is no excuse for swallowing every anti-establishment conspiracy theory espoused by Michael Moore and Naom Chomsky.

We need oil. We must do business with some of the most stupid, greedy and corrupt tyrants ever to rule desert kingdoms. One day we will need their black gold no more and they can go back to internecine squabbling.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

You're an intelligent person but historically illiterate, it must be said. There was the Luxor Massacre* in 1997. Islamist extremists beheaded and slaughtered a bunch of tourists in Luxor, Egypt, in 1997.

Too recent? Ok the founder of Islam, Prophet Muhammad, himself beheaded hundreds of Jewish captives, in accord with an Arabian judge's ruling. Muhammad dug trenches outside the court. Then the male captives were split into two groups: those who had underarm and pubic hair, and those that did not. Members of the first group were beheaded with a sword. I remember reading this account:
    "An adult male Jewish captive was brought out. He had torn his expensive clothes so that Muhammad and his followers couldn't loot his clothes post mortem. He kneeled down and his head was struck off."
    I've got a pretty good memory so it's close to being verbatim. Beheading is one of the Hudud punishments in Islam (the reason why Saudi Arabia beheads criminals).
    These and many others like them are atrocities. Unlike Christianity, Islam never had a reformation.
    If you care to honestly examine the history of the ME, you'll find that it is steeped in blood

Listen I've absolutely zero argument about how vile and violent Islam is. No question there.

I said atrocities specifically aimed at the West. The Luxor incident again happened after the first Iraq war.

I maintain, the assaults *specifically* against the West have all happened post the first Iraq war.

I'm pretty certain on that because I travelled alone and penniless in Muslim countries in the 80s and was greeted with nothing but the traditional middle eastern hospitality shown a guest. That could not happen now.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Very interesting info Terry - you definitely put the emphasis on the atrocities of invasion, presumptuousness of outside forces drawing lines in the sand, war and oil

I have not read all of the posts yet but do want to make a note that in one of his tweets re the withdrawal of security forces (sent to Iraq) Trump said the oil was secured. So what was his agenda?

Just a thought

• cofty
    cofty

Diog you asserted that Islamic attacks on West began "after we invaded".

We invaded nobody in 1990.

Get your facts straight before you criticise others.

Would you like a suggested reading list of Middle East history?

Salafist jihadi terrorists have told us why they attack us. It is NOT because of the Iraq war or even the second Iraq war.

Why not pay them the respect of taking them at their word?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I said atrocities specifically aimed at the West - Ok.

The Islamists were at the gates of Vienna in 1529.

I'm guessing they committed terrible atrocities at that time - POWs weren't treated as humanely as they are today.

I'm guessing a few heads must've rolled and a few European women raped.

Is this not good enough?

You want assaults specifically against The West, before the first Iraq war?

• Terry
    Terry
    cofty16 hours ago

Kurdistan is a region not a state. The oil belongs to Iraq.
    _____

Your argument is not with me -- argue with the NYTIMES article I posted: HERE it is once again.

What makes Kurdistan — and Kurdish oil — so important?

Kurdistan is crucial because of its vital location — straddling Iran, Syria, Turkey and Iraq. Ever since the Kurds were denied their own state after World War I, they have been focused on a search for self-determination. The Kurds’ key leverage is oil: Kurdistan has roughly one-third of Iraq’s total oil reserves, much of it located under the sands near the city of Kirkuk, which was once a stronghold of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS.)

By The New York Times

• Oct. 8, 2018
      ____

What's YOUR source, Cofty? Please.
  • Terry
    Terry

cofty

cofty2 hours ago

Terry - your assertion that the Syrian conflict was not triggered by Assad's violent reaction to popular protest against his oppressive rule is the most outrageously biased and wrong-headed statement in this entire thread.
    ______

If you say so.
    Your source (?) says so. My sources say not so.

Whatever shall we do?
    _____

https://www.ecowatch.com/syria-another-pipeline-war-1882180532.html

_____

https://bit.ly/2qw1KEk

____

shorturl.at/ewBIV

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Somehow I dont think this ceasefire is going to last long, as others have noted the huge oil reserves which the Kurds rest on is a concern, a hidden agenda .

• Terry
    Terry

Just as an appetizer, this PDF makes interesting reading as a general
    (if not definitive) background look at the corrosive (I'd say 'cancerous') overreach by the C.I.A.
    Legacy of Ashes is based on more than 50,000 documents, primarily from the archives of the CIA itself, and hundreds of interviews with CIA veterans, including ten directors of central intelligence.

Mission creep is ever present ...

shorturl.at/iqt15

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit