KURD is the word - and the word is KURD

by Terry 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

LoveUniHateExams

Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Yemen, Oman, Bahrain, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait and Lebanon are all independent Arab countries.

If I've missed something, could someone explain it to me ...
    _____

Independent? The U.S. Military casts a shadow over them all.
    Who can come and go - when and where?

Ah, what would being INDEPENDENT actually mean to tribes with differing religious loyalties and blood relations?
    Being interfered with (especially by INFIDELS) would ruin any sense of independence, certainly.

Tribal leaders acted at whim throughout history and incursions and blood-letting widened or narrowed occupied land.
    For Arabs, it is the LANGUAGE which unites them as a people.
    The Koran is said to be written in God's perfect language (Arabic) and it strongly coheres and even binds while simultaneously drives a wedge between Arabs and non-Arabic speakers.

The Ottoman Turks, for example who spoke (duh) Turkish, and Kurds (see topic subject) spoke Kurdish.
    This makes them "other" and marks them the way Jehovah's Witnesses mark JW's who question the authority of the Governing Body.

At the Versailles Conference, Great Britain and France IMPOSED borders already historically pre-established by current residents regardless of affiliations or blood feuds.
    But - too bad for them!

T.E.Lawrence performed admirably in "efforts" to point out how destructive an act this would be.
    He drew up reasonable demarcations and tribal definitions but was completely over-ruled after a pretended respectful "listen."
    ______

Who are the Arabs?

The SAUD family and SAUDI dynasty didn't get along with the HUSSEIN family and its dynasty, refusing to join the Arab Revolt "for freedom."
    (Back and forth these struggles were ongoing with the population, as a whole born, reared, and dying not knowing anything but turmoil and civil unrest. Don't fret - It was "normal.")

The TURKS imposed a Suzerainty on Arabs:
    "Suzerainty is any relationship in which one region or polity controls the foreign policy and relations of a tributary state, while allowing the tributary state to have internal autonomy."
    ______
    As T.E.Lawrence had predicted, neither French nor Brits would succeed at gaining any cooperation with their newly named states and colonies even after pretending to let them run things and backing them up in internecine battles.
    The French finally threw up their hands, Great Britain shrugged and vanished.

A struggle in 1927 caused another big shift as Wahhabi insurgents succeeded in transplanting their culture and rule and kicking out the Saudi family (which had, in turn, already kicked out the Hussein dynasty when Britain stopped supporting them.)

IS ANYBODY INDEPENDENT YET?

Imagine how disgusted Great Britain and France were in 1938 when enormous oil reserves were discovered under the Saudi dynasty. Talk about broken promises, ill-will, mistrust!

Ahhhh, but the United States was suddenly all flowers and kisses and pillow whispers about defending the Saudi dynasty from all aggressors! President F.D.R. and Abdul Azziz became engaged to married politically aboard the U.S.S. Quincy and the honeymoon has lasted all these years!

Did Arabs now transform into Arabians?

Notice the map has been branded as belonging to the Saudi dynasty: Saudi Arabia and not just Arabia. It's like TRUMP TOWER.

Oh yes. Make no mistake about who has BIG AMERICANS in their back pocket.

Under President Nixon, the agreement to become Saudi's well-armed nuclear protector led to Saudi agreement to ONLY SELL OIL if it were purchased in American dollars (called Petro-Dollars) because Nixon was running out of actual gold reserves enough to back U.S. currency. By going off the gold standard, the currency has ever since ENTIRELY depended on PETRO_$$ sales.

After 1945 and the end of WWII, the unrest in the Middle East tempted the U.S. time and again to imagine they could keep a "balance of power" going by covert meddling in local political leadership.

(How? Nobody had ever been up to that impossible task?)

One huge catastrophe was the U.S. insistence on selling arms and even nuclear weapons to PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE: the State of Israel.

So, what does it mean to be an INDEPENDENT STATE in the Middle East? If you are Iran and want your Ayatollah to rule the political and religious state with Sharia law BUT the U.S. has kicked out the democratically elected fella - what is THAT? Independence?
    The SHAH was in our back pocket - but - alas! Uprising - bye bye.

Was that Independence?

If you are a Tyrant like Saddam Hussein and everybody is terrified of you - citizens of Iraq will suffer while the United States merely gives lip-service to the "ain't it awful" hell on earth. But - if Saddam goes after Kuwait OIL -- suddenly shock and awe appear and the balance of power (such as it is) is pulled apart at the seams.

Is that Independence?

American troops are deployed and despised as Infidels no matter how much "help for your own good" they think is necessary.
    The U.S. policy is sugar coated with humanitarian concern but the 150,000 violent deaths seem to be "necessary."
    There is incredible hypocrisy here - but our men and women in uniform are told it is their duty and they obey orders.

"The United States is home to five of the world’s 10 largest defense contractors, and American companies account for 57 percent of total arms sales by the world’s 100 largest defense contractors."
    Lockheed Martin, the largest defense contractor in the world, is estimated to have had $44.9 billion in arms sales in 2017 through deals with governments all over the world. The company drew public scrutiny after a bomb it sold to Saudi Arabia was dropped on a school bus in Yemen, killing 40 boys and 11 adults."

Half the population of the U.S. is against gun violence. Now isn't that ironic?

OUR TROOPS are deployed:
    Iraq

Afghanistan

Oman Turkey

• United Arab Emirates
    • Kuwait
    • Bahrain:
    • Qatar

Who wants our help? The Kurds, you say?

• cofty
    cofty
    But - if Saddam goes after Kuwait OIL -- suddenly shock and awe appear and the balance of power (such as it is) is pulled apart at the seams. - Terry

Nonsense.

The UN (led by USA) ejected Saddam's army from Kuwait and stopped at the Iraq border leaving the tyrant in power for another decade.

• cofty
    cofty
    One huge catastrophe was the U.S. insistence on selling arms and even nuclear weapons to PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE: the State of Israel.

Israel proved its need of defense, and its outstanding ability, by defending itself from its murderous neighbours in 1948, '67 and '73.

Israel is a beacon of freedom and democracy in a region of fascism. The very best place in the Middle East to be a Palestinian is inside Israel.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Independent? The U.S. Military casts a shadow over them all.
    Who can come and go - when and where?
    - all the Arab countries I named are independent. The US doesn't decide who enters and leaves those countries.

Ah, what would being INDEPENDENT actually mean to tribes with differing religious loyalties and blood relations? - ok, consider one of the countries on my list: Jordan.

Jordan is ruled by King Abdullah, a Sunni Muslim who is a Hashemite, i.e. he claims he is a descendent of Prophet Muhammad. He rules over Arab Bedouin and Arab Palestinians (both Sunni Muslim), and minorities, such as Christian Armenians. King Abdullah is on record as saying all Jordanian citizens are equal citizens, the one proviso being that it's illegal for Christians to proselytise. Any Muslims who leave the faith must do so very carefully. As for any Muslims who are Sufi - I don't know about them.

Despite these points, Jordan is a relatively rich, prosperous, stable country. The US doesn't rule the country; King Abdullah does.

Lebanon is even more diverse, with different faiths and minorities being guaranteed a number of seats in the Lebanese Parliament. Again, Lebanon is a relatively stable country.

I think, Terry, that you're conflating influence and control - yes, America is a big player in world politics and so exerts some influence on many countries. But that's not the same as the US controlling those countries - those countries (the Arab countries I listed) still retain their independence.

• Simon
    Simon

Terry. I'm not going to tolerate anti-semitism on this site, please refrain from posting such things.

Israel is the sole democracy in the region that provides the type of human rights that a civilized society needs. The other countries are shit-holes. There's simply no comparison. Israel should continue to have our full backing against the terrorist regimes that surround it.

• Terry
    Terry

Simon:

Simon4 days ago

Terry. I'm not going to tolerate anti-semitism on this site, please refrain from posting such things.
    _____

Simon - it is not MY opinion - I was speaking from the standpoint of the Arabs and surrounding Muslim countries.
    My children are Jewish, for goodness sake!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit