What Fun Things Have You Been Doing While In Lock-Down?

by Simon 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

I attacked the crabgrass and dandelions in my front lawn and reseeded the bare spots. There's been plenty of rain, so it's filling in nicely. Also, finished planting annual flowers, so lots of nice compliments from neighbors.

Emma (see avatar stage left) tore her ACL, so I've been picking her up a lot. Between the yardwork and lifting a 26 lb. dog, I've started physical therapy for my back, so no more gardening or Zoom yoga classes for now.

Started getting ready for sailing season. There's always something to do on a boat, and it's pleasant at the dock watching the birds fish and the kayakers, power boaters and other sailors go by.

My husband and I were taking neighborhood walks and beach walks, but my back again. He's been baking sourdough bread nearly daily and has perfected it. Sadly, he is falling victim to COVID-20 (additional lbs.)

We've hosted two backyard barbecues with two different couples-- lots of extra work implementing precautions, but pleasant afternoons together. They're allowing eating outdoors at restaurants in Connecticut now which feels pretty safe, so we've enjoyed a few nice meals on outdoor patios-- seafood, Italian and an Irish Pub.

All in all, small town New England is not a bad place to weather the storm.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Phoenixrising, that's also an impressive gun collection. What is the long gun on the rights side? My first guess is a Sharps Carbine.

Thanks Simon. Here are the links, if these work I'll start a thread.

www.amazon.com/dp/B08768PGPY

This link will get you to both Kindle Ebook and print versions.

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

Yes They are part of my civil war collection. The brass receiver on the left is a Uberti Henry in 45LC, The other is a Sharps Carbine 1863 NM original. The revolver on the right is a Uberti LeMatt Army. That is a 9 shot revolver with a 20 ga under the barrel. If you don't know about it look it up its a great gun. The Ubertis are replicas that work and fire live rounds. The other revolver on the left is a 1849 Colt Pocket. I had to do a repair on that one the hand spring was bad. I don't even think of firing the originals. Unlike the BS in Pawn stars that does not make it worth more but less. They only do it for effect on the show. I also never fired the LeMatt. They are getting hard to find even the replica remakes. Above and one is only partial visible are two 1860 Light Cav sabers dated 1863 and 1864 one is by Mansfield and Lamb, the other is Ames which I believe still make swords for the military today. The LeMatt was used by the Confederacy and most were owned by officers in the Calvary because of the 9 shots and 20 gauge gave a trooper and advantage over a colt or Remington 6 shot. . I have bought and sold Antique weapons on a small scale for years. I also have an 1858 Rem New Model and Colt 1860 Army in the safe. The picture on the right is my Great Grandfather who was in dress at the Buffalo Bill Circus Sells Floto Circa 1913. He was in the Devlin Zouave's unit that did trick shots, scaled 20 men over an 18 foot wall in a min. Ect. The powder horn and snuff horn on the wall on the left were his, the clock was also his. Thanks

• TD
    TD

I love those fans. It kinda reminds me of Rick Dale's work

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

For me, I have one question. What lockdown? I work at an "essential business", and had to work straight through it. Not even a 2 week quarantine caused by someone coming in with a false temperature reading of something like 100.5 (F). (That goes to show what a piece of rubbish the i"Health(??)" thermometer is--rubber stamping 97.1 nearly every time, if it works at all).

And I have prepared for such a lockdown. We have plenty of supermarkets open, albeit with limits on purchases of many items. I have my Nintendo 3DS, along with more than 20 different video games (in addition to many Pokemon games). I have quite a few videos, books on mazes, books to learn German, science school textbooks, a book on algebra and one on geometry (so I can brush up on my math and science), plenty of music, quite a few collection coins along with literally thousands of investment silver coins, and plenty of tools to work on my bicycle. And that's on top of the Internet.

I did, however, have time to give a bad review for the i"Health(??)" thermometer. I do not recommend it, since I have had plenty of time where I took my temperature with a Sunphor BZ-R6 thermometer before riding my bicycle to work. The temperature was usually around 36.5 to 36.8 C (I set it to metric). Then, when I get to work, the i"Health(??)" said around 91, if it worked at all (it was closer to 98). After riding a bicycle in warm, muggy weather. Any thermometer that is off by this much, and in the wrong direction (working out makes you warmer, not colder), is not only useless but dangerous. I could have a 101 temperature and get a 97.1 rubber stamp, work, spread coronavirus through the store, and some elderly person gets it and dies. All because the stupid thermometer did not do its job.

• LauraV
    LauraV

Phoenix - I remember growing up with a clock that looked just like that. My folks also kept the old style radio from the 50's. When the radio purchased in the early 70's broke down, my mother just replaced it with the older one from the 50's, lasted a long time.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I've been working down my backlog of model kits, helping my aging Mom with handyman stuff, and reading novels.

Plus watching movies, marathonning TV shows, and playing Xbox with my kids..

• RandomUserName3500
    RandomUserName3500

I have a lot of projects on my wish list. But, I work in healthcare - there's been less free time and no lock down for me.

Did enjoy reading everyone elses and seeing the pics. Thanks for sharing

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I'm a old fan of old fans! Their fan-tastic!

just saying!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I don't have internet access at home so when the public libraries closed I had to stop social media, FB, this forum, etc.

I did manage to save up enough money to buy myself a DVD player, so I've spent a lot of lockdown watching my collection of movies. (I have 110 films and I've seen 70 so far!).

I've also done some reading - I've read Salem's Lot, The Firm, The Whistler, Gray Mountain.

One thing I've managed to do is go out walking every day - whether that's sunbathing on a park bench or longer walking. I have to get out my flat, I'd have gone mad staying indoors all the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit