What Fun Things Have You Been Doing While In Lock-Down?

by Simon 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

So we've all been locked down and there's only so much Netflix / Prime / Disney / HBO you can watch and computer games you can play. What has everyone been doing to pass the time?

When you're completely stuck inside and working from home it can get a bit boring staring at the same walls all day and then in the evening as well. As it was spring and getting a bit nicer out, I decided to buy a fire-pit - some reason to sit outside (I get bored just sitting there and need something todo).

It's a mobile, hi-tech, smokeless fire-pit that you can control with your app. It's really fun being able to turn a campfire up and down from your phone. I've tried cooking on it with charcoal (usually home-made Adana Kebabs) and then you can lower the basket and put wood on for smores and flame. It's nice sitting out on the lawn in the evening, check it out:

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/firepit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vGKgBDfL5g

My other indulgence was also to go outside more. Angharad wanted to go on bike rides so I got a new ... electric scooter! What? Pedal? No thank you. We're fortunate to live close to walking / cycle paths with some alongside a river and it's a pleasant way to spend some time getting fresh air.

It's so much fun, it's like being a 5 year old. The best thing is the reactions you get - the ones from kids I kind of expected, typically (some kid on a leg-power kick scooter) "whoah! that is so cool!" (and yes, I end up riding down the street with a little posey like a weird mini biker-gang) but when you go for a ride in the morning you meet loads of old people and you hear them saying "ooh, look Margaret, I want to have a go on one of those!".

I got a Segway / Ninebot Max from Costco, which is a model used by a lot of the rental companies. It feels very solid and has a good range although it's heavy (but I'm not commuting with it).

https://www.segway.com/

Last thing was cheap-as-chips but fascinating and that is a lock pick set and practice locks! These are perspex locks so you can see the mechanism inside and it's fascinating learning about how locks work and how you can (maybe) open them. It's also frightening when you watch how quickly the experts can open them - checkout the "lockpickinglawyer" on YouTube.

I'm not planning on any new career as a master-criminal but who knows, one day I'll have to make a Bond style escape from the left's Gulags and I'll be prepared.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

I bought 3 recurve bows and me and the wife are getting back into archery. I bought a drone and am learning to fly. I also rebuilt several antique fans.

• phoenixrising
  • phoenixrising
  • JeffT
    JeffT

I published an alternate history novel (1910:War in the Pacific) on Amazon in April. . I'm currently doing edits on the sequel (1912: War for the White House). I hope to have that available sometime this summer. The draft manuscript for 1916: War for America is done, edits should be done by this fall. That will finish the trilogy, but I have ideas for two more after that.

I've been working on two novels based very loosely on my association with JW's. They were the first long fiction I wrote and need A LOT of work before they're ready for publication.

Bottom line: I'm happy as a pig is s*** sitting at home and writing away.

• Simon
    Simon

Thats a lot of fans. Do you ever watch "technology connections" channel on YouTube? He has lots of things about old, electro-mechanical engineering which are fascinating (like how 1950 juke-boxes worked, before micro-electronics).

I like alternate history stories, feel free to post a link to your book if you want to promote it.

• resolute Bandicoot
  • Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

Flew a kite today with my family in a local park. First did it a few days ago in our back yard (we live on a lake, but have too many trees nearby to do it well) and that was the first time in many years. We headed to the park for more room today. Instead of one kite for the family, I think we'll get one for each of us and see who can get theirs the highest, swoop the lowest, zig-zag the most, and try not to tangle in the trees or with each other. Great fun, a little exercise, fresh air, laughter and it makes me feel like a kid again. Costs next to nothing to-boot.

I just might try out the scooter idea next!

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

Thanks. I love repairing vintage things. I love old Telechron clocks. I buy them because they are almost indestructible and they seize up due the oil getting thick over the years. I can remove the motor put in solvent and it works. a lick of paint and I have a vintage kitchen or wall clock. No Simon I have never seen that show but will look it up sounds interesting. I don't live too far from Wichita and will go there in the AM to pick up a vintage Robbins and Myers desk fan. The Vornado is still made and sold by Walmart But this one is late 50s early 60s. They go for around 200 refurbished. I got a great deal. A flea market had it and he said it worked. We plugged it in and sparks flew. I knew it was just the wiring had the insulation crumble off. and picked it up for 20 bucks. I just did a quick fix to this 1930s Telechron clock made of bakalite. The telechron motor runs by induction so no parts go into it but for one stem with a gear. If you heat up the motor and then the expanding air pushes out and thins the oil you can slowly apply WD40 and the solvents will thin the oil and it will run.

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

I did take one in to have repaired. It was an inheritance and I paid a bit but its been in the family since the turn of the century. Its made in 1895 Ingraham Thorn 8 day clock with hour and half hour chimes. The guy I took it to works only on these type of old wind up clocks. He had to weld on a new hinge and put in some new bushings and clean it up. Works great and when I want to hear the ticking and chimes I will let it run for a week.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit