Some recent baptism figures in the UK - is there a "bounce back"?

by freddo 35 Replies latest jw friends

• freddo
    freddo

Well, round my way (South of the UK) all the way up to and including the Regional conventions this summer, baptism numbers have been extremely low. But I have just received news of three recent circuit assembly days where the figures seem to be higher. (All have been across the last three weekends at a UK assembly hall in October)

Assembly 1 Attendance 975 Baptisms 8 (Oct 2015 2)

Assembly 2 Attendance 948 Baptisms 6 (Oct 2015 4)

Assembly 3 Attendance 926 Baptisms 7 (Oct 2015 Unknown)

How about where you are?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

mostly born-ins coming of age i would imagine.

which ass-hall was that at ?

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

That's fantastic.

• freddo
    freddo

@stan

In one case yes; in another definitely not; the other I don't know. You have a pm

@Sanchy

Huh?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I would hardly call 21 baptisms from a combined attendance of nearly 3000 a 'bounce back'.

• freddo
    freddo

@nicolaou

I agree - but locally it's back to where things were pre-all the 2014 hoopla.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

I was baptized at a convention with 35,000 attending and 700 baptized, in 1984. Those days are long gone.

• John Free
    John Free

Most are probably kids desperate to relieve their natural urge to procreate, which they can only do when they get married, which they can only do when they...get baptised. Clever old watchtower...

• honest
    honest

That is not impressive baptism numbers. Thank goodness, although it would be better if there was zero baptisms.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The ratio of baptisms to attendees at a convention is an interesting metric. One nice thing about it is that both numbers are known accurately and announced at every convention. The figures from the OP are between 0.6% and 0.8% of the attendees. I would hesitate to call it a bounce back, although we recently have seen figures as low as 0.1% to 0.5%. However, as OneGen mentioned in his post, the ratio back in the day was often as high as 2% to 2.5%.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit