Do You Think the Federalist System in the US Gives States too Much Power?

by RubaDub 31 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As time goes on, I keep rethinking this whole thing about States' rights here in the US. The more I think about it, I think less States' power may be a way to reduce some of the craziness going on.

As mentioned on another thread, you can't even drive now into some States without them checking your license tag where you are from so you have have to be quarantined. States such as Georgia are pretty much wide open. New Jersey, Connecticut are in many ways still closed down. Every State has its own regulations. In Germany, which has the COVID under control, they nationally shut things down until it was safe to surface.

I understand that some things should be regulated by the States that affect only the people in the State but when we are talking about national issues that cross state lines, I think more and more it should be a federal issue. Just like when you commit a crime in a State and then cross State lines, the Feds (FBI) gets involved.

Same as with guns. One of the most dangerous cities in the US, Chicago, has VERY strict gun laws. Drive a mile or so across the border into Gary, Indiana, and you can buy whatever you want. It's like trying to get rid of cockroaches in a four bedroom home and you only spray two of the bedrooms. Guess what, you still have cockroaches.

Which makes as much sense as when I used to keep my boat in Ft Lauderdale Florida, about 15 miles north of Miami. If you wanted at the time to go fishing on Sunday morning, you could not buy beer before noon, for some archaic reason in Ft Lauderdale. Well, I'm probably on my way back in to the marina by noon. So guess what, everyone drives a few blocks to Dania Beach which had beer sales, I guess 24 hours. So what was being accomplished other than making the convenience store owners in Dania Beach really happy to sell a ton of beer and ice on Sunday morning?

I'm done venting.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Disagree. Also think the 17th amendment should be repealed.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Also the 16th.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Disagree. The states of the United States are basically like countries within themselves. Huge populations in some, huge economies, and extremely diverse cultures.

can you imagine if the same criteria of California was enforced on Mississippi?

The county I live in in NC does not sell liquor on Sunday and it can't be purchased on any day before 12. Meanwhile a county over there are no restrictions. We prefer it that way. If you want to get drunk go elsewhere, people move here and stay here because there is an old time country feel. We like it.

Our top cop refuses to enforce insane corona restrictions, and he refuses to even consider any of the foolishness regarding gun restrictions. We love it

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

can you imagine if the same criteria of California was enforced on Mississippi?

@silentbuddha ...

True, not practical. The people in California speak American English, have teeth and don't interbreed.

Point well taken.

• Justaguynamedmorph
    Justaguynamedmorph

You lost me when you cited germany as the positive precedent. Germany, total central government control- historically bad bad idea.

I choose dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Germany, total central government control- historically bad bad idea.......I choose dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

@Justaguy .....

Yes, but when it is a national "war" as it is called, it needs national direction. You can't have 50 cats in your back yard and expect them to stand in line and do what you want them to do.

Call it what you want, but 10's of thousands of the "dangerous freedom" people are dead.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

@rubadum

I guess you haven't spent much time in California or North Carolina.

The percentage of people who speak American English in NC is higher than California...

California is also one of the only states that allows a person to marry their first cousin.

Florida, the state you are from has the highest rates of incest in the USA.

Your attempts at humor fail... over and over. Atleast people continue to humor you :)

• Justaguynamedmorph
    Justaguynamedmorph

If indeed we are cats, total control would result in total anarchy

• MeanMrMustard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit