Believers: How do you know your view of your chosen holy book is the correct one?

by punkofnice 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

As I see it, and probably as I've said before on this forum, I don't believe there are over 4000 religions. I believe there are just 2...and even that is not completely true. The 2 religions are , "Do" and "Done".

All religions are "Do" while Christianity is "Done".

Religion is man's attempt to find, please, placate, God or gods. Do religion offers no assurance. One never knows if one is good enough, ones works are meritous enough to outweigh our sins and misdeeds of the past. Do religion is "I hope I make it religion". Essentially we save ourselves by our own efforts.

Christianity on the other hand is done; his death and resurrection, his work on our behalf, are completely adequate to save, to sanctify and heal us and overwhelm us with the fact that we are loved and secure eternally despite our past. Our response to this grace is love out of a pure heart, and joy unspeakable. God becomes our Father and Jesus our Friend and Lord.

• cofty
    cofty
    who would love th Bible without Jesus doing something in their lifes - Joan

Does it never occur to you how narcissistic this is? Reflect for a moment on the desperate anxiety of millions of people in physical or psychological need. But god decided to do something for you in your relatively over-privileged life and ignore the more needy.

There is much in the bible that is interesting, thought-provoking and even beautiful but there is not one word that even hints at a supernatural origin.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Vanderhoven7,

Indeed. 2 Corinthians 5:17-21. God in Christ has reconciled all things. Now get that Jesus experience (my paraphrase). He has done it. We are the children of Jesus John 13:33 🥰

As for the inspiration of the Bible, I would Imagine it would be pretty impossible to have 66 books written over a long time spand with such thread of consistency. But Church tradition has certainly missed out much learning from them.

The mystery of election. God chooses me and God also chooses a poor Filipino.. who can know God's master plan but out of the Storm He called us and spilled his blood

• Zilgee
    Zilgee

Google articles on evolution of religion. Religion was made so that nomads could live in a bigger group setting. It's like having a legislation or Constitution. Since things have changed like we have laws, police, courts, human rights etc etc, religion has no place in society now.

• cofty
    cofty
    religion has no place in society now.

Religion does contribute to the coherence of a community. We seem to have replaced Christianity with identity politics and environmentalism.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Indeed Cofty, Religion is a part of the Ethnicity/Culture of all peoples on Earth, even in Nations that suppress it. I do believe that Religion should have no place in Politics now, all Governments should be secular, even if some of the members are personally religious. How far we are from that ideal !

But to use ones chosen Holy Book as the basis for Law, or for Government action, especially military, should have no place in the machinery of Government today, sadly, it is pervasive, and yet, as this Thread has shown, such "Holy" books are merely flawed works of men.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Obviously "Its In The Eye Of The Beholder"

How do you know your view of your chosen holy book is the correct one?

Ethiopic Bible, 84 books

Eastern Orthodox ,76 books

R.C.Vulgate,73 books

Greek Orthodox,79 books

Protestants including the Jehovah`s Witnesses who have always protested against the Roman Catholic religion ,as just 66 books.

Or is it just another example of where on earth you happened to have been born ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit