Believers: How do you know your view of your chosen holy book is the correct one?

by punkofnice 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Receptive brainwashing of information by others creates the notion of we have the correct view of the holy scripts and you can use the JWS as an example.

Thats why they internally identify themselves as being in " The Truth "

The JWS religion comes to the forefront of we have the correct view and interpretation of the bible, the other Christian religions do not

• lriddle80
    lriddle80
    The experiences that I have with God line up with scripture. He guides me into all truth. He comforts me and works all things for good; he is always faithful and I see my prayers come to life. I have gone through the fire and my faith remained. I saw my family fall apart and be restored and I was comforted and carried through the painful process. I see these same things in other believer's lives...they aren't just my unique experiences. And I get to share in other's life transformations! And so much more that I can't express the width, depth and height of it all!!
  • smiddy3
    smiddy3

People cherry pick what they want to believe out of any religious book they want to believe in.In the many Christian religions in the world today a few have a different number of books that they consider as the word of God.

And their are many many more books of Scripture that didn`t quite make it as a part of the Bible canon and not rejected by God ,but rejected by humans who didn`t believe they should be considered as part of Gods inspired word .

God didn`t have a say in it .

Jehovah`s Witnesses adopted the same Bible books as the Protestants why is that ?Because they are a protestant religion against the Roman Catholic Church. Just look at any of their publications throughout their short history of about 140 years ,contrast that with the Catholic religion of over 2000 years.

Catholic religion, by the way had a big if not a great say or even the ultimate say, as to what Bible books were inspired by God or not and is really not disputed by anyone today including the Jehovah`s Witnesses .

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Blubby - Why must everyone be identical?

Because they have the same god. Otherwise god is playing silly bees by appearing differently to people.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Your view" of "your chosen book" sums up most believers attitudes to the Holy Books. First they "choose" a book, though in reality it is not the case that there is much choice, most are born in to a religion, and the converts too are then told which is "their" Holy Book.

The view the believer takes of it is usually dictated by religious teachers. Most of whom interpret it as they wish, and ignore parts that do not suit them.

The proper way to get a good grasp on such writings is the use of Hermeneutics and Exegesis. An awful lot of believers do not know what the words mean, and certainly do not apply them.

Many dodgy interpreters, the JW Org especially, employ the very looked down upon method, ( by Scholars) of Eisegesis, which is reading in to the Text what is simply not there.

The majority of believers let it come down to mere emotion, they "feel" that their Holy Book is the Word of God. This is both lazy, and dangerous, it leaves you open to manipulation of mind and action by Authoritarian groups and individuals.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Wow. I never thought of this point. So if the beaten slave survives for 2 days and dies on the 3rd day, the master is not to be punished. What a loving arrangement.

I should use this point in my Field service

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Varied people have said to me that it's because I was raised a Jobo that they have as a result, turned me into a hard atheist. (I don't mean an atheist with a flick knife either).

Their point is that the corporation is so anit-christ that they have deliberately made it so that you can't leave the cult without total damage.

Maybe. Whatever. I just cannot see any compelling reason to be trapped in religion again. I don't believe there is a god given what I observe.

I believed in Jobo-ism because I trusted my parents choice. They meant well.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Why does one need a holy book in the first place? Why cant we just be genuine , caring good human beings, living and let live!

Zing

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    punkofnice - "How do you know your view of your chosen holy book is the correct one?"

By how much said view affirms and reinforces your biases, obviously.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

I would describe my Bible relation as a love relation and soundtrack to my life alongside the struggles and errors in my life. I enter the supernatural realm when reading or praying to Jesus. Had I not come to faith later in my life, I would see things much like many of you being comforted by a gospel of atheism and trying to find meaning in naturalism. With this sort of background who would love th Bible without Jesus doing something in their lifes. Im certain that will happen for all one day. Jesus is for loosers, Jesus is my cane, rock for the Rock Hallelujah 🥰

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit