What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    John_Mann: (from page 1) Some positivists would ask for scientific evidence of "meaning" or "purpose" of life. Positivism is very flawed and are everywhere lately with blind followers (usually they even don't know they're following it).

Is this word mess the definition you are referring to as being identical to the one I posted? If not, please repost your definition. If so, then focus and try to restate your thoughts more clearly. It's your definition of positivism we want, not your feelings about its adherents.

You aren't helping your argument by making your definitions personal.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

cofty12 minutes ago

"OR which is capable of logical ... proof"

C'mon Cofty. You're a clever guy!

The scientific method contain logical consistency and capacity of mathematical proof.

There's a pleonasm in this definition. You can say just "scientifically verified" (like I said) without the "OR" part.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

I @Nicolaou

That's my first post and was not about the definition of positivism per se (me and Viviane were already talking about positivism in other topic), but one of the positions positivism leads. Meaning or purpose of human life beyond biological goals is nonsense to positivists because cannot be scientifically verified.

My crude definition of positivism is 5 posts before your first one. (page 4)

• Viviane
    Viviane
    There's a pleonasm in this definition. You can say just "scientifically verified" (like I said) without the "OR" part.

Logical proof is not the same as scientifically verified. No pleonasm exists.

You've not shown is how your definition is the same as what nicolau posted. You've all your work ahead of you.

Meaning or purpose of human life beyond biological goals is nonsense to positivists because cannot be scientifically verified.

The purpose and goals of my life can be verified. Not sure what you mean by "biological goals". Reproduction? My goals beyond that can definitely be scientifically verified.

You've all your work ahead of you.

• cofty
    cofty

John_Mann - Outstanding use of the word "pleonasm". Well done!

There are things that can be logically deduced but for which there is no empirical evidence.

Therefore you definition of positivism is too narrow.

Positivism excludes superstition “Ignoramus et ignorabimus”. Why would that be evil?

• Wayward
    Wayward

Do the lives of animals have a purpose? Beyond that of breeding and passing on their genes? Humans are just a higher level of animal. Why do human lives need a higher purpose?

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    Reproduction? My goals beyond that can definitely be scientifically verified.

Sorry but personal purpose in life can't be scientifically verified as valid.

If you really knows what scientific verification is you must know that.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    There are things that can be logically deduced but for which there is no empirical evidence.

Like what?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Sorry but personal purpose in life can't be scientifically verified as valid.

OK, so we just learned you don't know what "scientifically valid" means. Of course if can be.

If you really knows what scientific verification is you must know that.
    Like what?

Like, that you don't know what scientific verification is, for one.

So, please show us how your definition of posotivism is the same as the one nicolau posted. You've all your work ahead of you.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Personal purpose in life can be scientifically verified as valid?

Really?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit