What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Why the appeal to ridicule fallacy?

That's would be a good question had I done that. Laughter isn't the same as ridicule, so now we can add "doesn't know what ridicule or a fallacy is" to the list.

I insist, please show me why my definition of positivism is wrong. You can post a link if you wish. Thank you.

And "doesn't know how 'burden of proof' works" is now on the list.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Burden of proof?

You said my definition of positivism is wrong but don't showed why (just replied with a laughter).

I'm asking you why my definition of positivism is wrong.

You have the burden of proof to show why my definition is wrong.

You better stop to deny you're a positivist. It's just like a JW denying to be a cultist.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

What is the purpose of life? The answer is simple. The purpose of YOUR life whatever purpose YOU decide to give it.

For someone else to have to tell me what the purpose of my own life is sounds a little presumptuous. I swear, JWs can't think about anything on their own ... not even what the purpose of their own life is.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Burden of proof?
    You said my definition of positivism is wrong but don't showed why.
    Yes, you said

- What you thought posotivism was

- Claimed certain people were positivists and didn't know it

- claimed it was evil- made claims about what souls are

- etc.

You made those claims first, so the burden of proof is on you. That's how it works.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proofWhen two parties are in a discussion and one asserts a claim that the other disputes, the one who asserts has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim.[1] An argument from ignorance occurs when either a proposition is assumed to be true because it has not yet been proved false or a proposition is assumed to be false because it has not yet been proved true.[2][3] This has the effect of shifting the burden of proof to the person criticizing the proposition.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Just tell me your definition of positivism.

Please.

I say positivism is the philosophical system that affirms the only valid knowledge is the scientific method.

Why this short definition of positivism is wrong?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Just tell me your definition of positivism.
    Please.
    I say positivism is the philosophical system that affirms the only valid knowledge is the scientific method.
    Why this short definition of positivism is wrong?

Because it isn't correct.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Why not?

And most important: what is the correct definition of positivism?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Why not?
    And most important: what is the correct definition of positivism?

Sorry, I have a strict personal policy of "not doing doing your work for you".

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

I'm here to exchange ideas and I know I can't know everything and you are saying you have a knowledge I don't have.

Please share with me your definition of positivism.

I really want to know your short definition or just give me a link.

Positivism is a topic I'm very interested. Because it's spreading everywhere like a plague. I want to know everything I can about it.

I think you're very clever and I'm asking you sincerely.

Please tell me your definition.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Google?!

positivism
    ˈpɒzɪtɪvɪz(ə)m/
    noun
    PHILOSOPHY
    noun: positivism
    1. 1.
      a philosophical system recognizing only that which can be scientifically verified or which is capable of logical or mathematical proof, and therefore rejecting metaphysics and theism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit