What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Asked and answered.

• Absolutesbeginners
    Absolutesbeginners

Purpose of life :

do anything we can do to forget we gonna die . soon or later .

Make love , go on the Everest , learn violon , take cocain ( only twice its better ) , play loto , do yoga , drink a lot ,"buy" a "house", make diets, have 7659 friends on facebook , fall in love , run a marathon , have kids , work, buy brand new tooth.....and pay your tombstone at last .

And then ...25 years later...your kids .....do the same .......

They call it "the life " .......

I would prefer to call it the "monkey's life "

Ps : thats only for lucky "monkeys" in rich contries .

Ps 2 : i understand why so many "monkeys" wait for " god" to change their life ...

https://youtu.be/xxn-fz9mjo4

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Asked and answered.

With the only answers you ever seem to give: I don't like the question, or "that's ridiculous", accompanied by various insults.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I no longer believe that the Bible is consistent with itself. So I won't argue that there are parts of the Bible that claim God has revealed himself in various ways, especially Jesus. What I do know however, is that the inscrutability of God is a dominant theme of many parts of the Bible. Such as the following:

Romans 11:33 Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!

Job 26:14 Behold, these are but the outskirts of his ways, and how small a whisper do we hear of him! But the thunder of his power who can understand?”

1 Corinthians 2:11 For who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

Isaiah 55:8, 9
    For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Pslam 147:5 5
    Great is our Lord, and abundant in power;
    his understanding is beyond measure.

• sir82
    sir82

If God is inscrutable, why did he make humans without the ability to comprehend him and/or the problem of evil?

Is it a design flaw? That makes him less than omnipotent.

Could he have designed us differently but chose not to? That makes him rather a jerk (i.e., not perfectly loving).

• looter
    looter

Viviane, it was about faith. You feel that belief in God is wrong and totally stupid because you yourself don't believe God exists, right? And don't tell me you don't because if you didn't you wouldn't be constantly saying I'm a nutterball. Well belief in God and doctrines is faith in which you don't think is right so you feel it's gracious to treat me and anyone who has it like we're beneath you or something. This isn't dishonesty on my part as I've a firm believer and have no problem letting others know. You only say it's dishonest because you don't believe in God so stop saying I'm dishonest. Your failure to see that you are in fact a positivist with not even courtesy to respect another's belief that's not your own is astonishing.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    If God is inscrutable, why did he make humans without the ability to comprehend him and/or the problem of evil?
    Is it a design flaw? That makes him less than omnipotent.
    Could he have designed us differently but chose not to? That makes him rather a jerk (i.e., not perfectly loving).

Among the things that we don't understand is, presumably, the reason why God made us in such a way that we don't understand. Is this compatible with goodness? Frankly it is hard to see how. But once again, that is precisely the point. Given that we don't know everything, is it impossible? I don't think we can say it is impossible that God has good reasons that we don't know.

If we encounter a maths problem we can't understand we might say, "I can't work out the answer to this".

It may be that there is no answer to the maths problem. It may be meaningless for all we know. Or it may have an answer, but we simply don't know what the answer is.

What would make no sense would be to say: "I can't work out the answer to this maths problem, therefore there is no answer to this maths problem".

• cofty
    cofty
    Well belief in God and doctrines is faith - Looter

How are you defining faith?

Why do you think it is good to believe things on inadequate evidence?

• looter
    looter

Cofty that's not the issue here. The issue here is respecting those who have faith. I'm not falling for those brain washing questions.

• cofty
    cofty
    I'm not falling for those brain washing questions.

So asking you a simple, respectful question amounts to brainwashing does it?

How weak would your mind have to be for that to be true?

Is it ok to disrespect faith as long as I respect people of faith? Or like most believers do you have difficulty understanding the distinction?

A few minutes ago you demanded respect for your beliefs. How can I respect error? Why should I? If I did that would be dishonest.

Why would you not want somebody to point out the error in your beliefs?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit