Do you still believe in God?

by FormerlySandL 162 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Hello FSNL

Well, nice to see you took the bull by the horns. The God discussion is the big one, most avoid it because it goes nowhere the believer will continue to believe regardless of the evidence. I will say, on a scale 1-10, I was around a 7 non believer and after Acts 5v29 fine explanation I'm now closer to 9.5

The problem imho is Acts is preaching to xjw's, we heard it all before, we read it, preached it, sang it, went to conventions it was drilled in us. The arguments for God, Acts bring to the table is not new, same old stuff. I think I could of done a better job resurrecting some of my old rhetoric. Its a hard thing to sell especially here where we have been duped, where a religion (JW's) used the idea of a Omnipotent God to subjugate it's members and destroy lives, to the point where we are still in the process of picking up the pieces, in a extreme ostracized environment.

Most of us have research and have deeply thought about this, have truly spent years wresting with this subject, the belief in God. "I've concluded that Evidence makes belief unnecessary"

So new evidence will definitely require me to reanalyze my position. But until then I enjoy everyday of life without all the delusional religious constraints.

I hope your situation has improved some.

• Acts5v29
    Acts5v29

MarkOfCain,

respectfully, I was addressing only the issue of why God does not prevent evil, not on proof of God's existance. Whereas the watchtower preaches a sudden slaughter by God, my ministry preaches a rescue of everyone - there is something of a difference.

As I said to Former, if you sincerely do not believe then fine, but if it is prompted by the appalling of your church, then it might be easier to recover if we see God is quite separate from religions, rather than see Him as part of the problem.

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

I was addressing only the issue of why God does not prevent evil, not on proof of God's existance.

The argument has no merit, if you can't convince me there is a God.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@Acts,

if we see God is quite separate from religions, rather than see Him as part of the problem

Almost all of humanity worships some sort of god(s), mainly as prescribed by the religion(s) in their area of birth.

Assuming your God exists, She is part of the problem by not making it abundantly clear that everyone is doing it wrong by following religions that lead away from Her.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I don’t know. Here is how I feel: I do not believe in a personal God. The idea that he would care for my working conditions, my love life, etc, while he tolerated and tolerate so much cruelty around the world… its just not working for me.

So, could I envision a God who placed us on the earth (using an evolutionary process) and further plans for us once we die? I don’t know…. I am not sure I would see the point in this. That being said, if I wake up somewhere else after I die, I would not be surprised.

In the end, weather I believe in God or not does not change the fact that I chose to be a good person. I want to do good around me so that once I pass away, people will be able to remember me as a good guy.

So, if there is a God that has some higher purpose for me at that point, I don’t see why he would not judge me on my action rather than my beliefs.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The problem with believing in a God is that there is usually a structured religion around it, with intervening doctrines which one is enforced to comply and support.

Because these religions were devised and written centuries ago, their held to doctrines have detrimental negative effects onto humanity living today and some still hold positive social direction and acceptance, such as the teachings of Jesus Christ.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    MarkofCane: I think I could of done a better job resurrecting some of my old rhetoric.

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane
    I should of said could have :')
  • AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

As someone who wasted soo much of my life fully immersed in what later showed itself to be a high-control publishing company (now turned real estate company) masquerading as a religion, I decided that I did not need to debate or explore the God versus NoGod question at this stage in my life.

What is, is. What will be, will be. None of it will change my morals or my person very much at all. I am hard-working, self-reliant, help others when and where I can and am generally very optimistic in my outlook.

*IF* there is a god, he should have made the 'right' way more clearer so as to not allow so much dissention.

*IF* there is a god, and life is a gift from our creator, I have squandered far too much of that gift while serving the publishing-company-turned-real-estate-company for it's own high-controlled gain.

*IF* there is NO god... and *IF* this life is all there is... I better get living.

Life is much more precious when there is no Future Paradise on the horizon.

I just find I have no interest in the God/NoGod debate anymore. It's been about 15 years that I've felt this way.

And I'm very, very comfortable with that view. It suits me very well.

At least for now. If I change that view, I may choose to do so. But for now see no need and have almost zero interest.

To the OP (Formerly S&L): With so much on your plate right, I hope you, too, realize that the God/NoGod debate is not something that you have to resolve right now. You first (2nd, 3rd and 4th) priorities really need the bulk of your time and mental attention for a while.

All the best with your pending growth spurt. Keep with it. You will be AMAZED at what you can accomplish.

-AudeSapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself.)

• Terry
    Terry

Explorers searched for the Fountain of Youth, the Lost City of Gold, and the Garden of Eden. Metaphysicians practiced alchemy and sought to turn lead into gold. Ancient Greeks tried to square the circle using only a protractor and straightedge. . . and failed, one and all.

The unreal, the imaginary, and the impossible aren't known in advance. Seeking to disprove or improve is a magnificent ambition. The difference between the explorers, the Scientists, and the theorists. . . and True-Believers who knock on your door with waste paper disguised as Truth is this:

One group of people TESTS their dreams and ambitions against reality.

The other group--hunkers down and defends every silly, disproved lie as though it was the gold in Ft. Knox.

It's a remarkable difference between minds: intellectual honesty is all too rare among "spiritual people." In fact, "Spirit-led" people tend to despise logic, reason, and individuality as though it were a curse. Not all, mind you, just enough to curdle the milk of human kindness.

I think it must be a faulty switch between being able to visualize actual things and a subcategory of imagining non-existing things. If those alternate paths were CLEARLY MARKED in your mind, you'd never stray off into the yellow brick road of wishful thinking. But--I would hypothesize--a hiccup occurs and we get confused between our epiglottis and our doohickey:smile:

BELIEF is a strong conviction based on NO evidence. You just want it because it feels good to imagine you could have it.

No harm--no foul.

Except . . . just possibly . . .by confusing the path between ACTUAL and IMAGINARY, we damage our ability to reach conclusions which harmonize with reality.

In my view (an opinion, mind you) "belief" is a bad habit not unlike picking your nose and eating the boogers. It's sort of like bad manners.

Why "bad" manners?

Because the rest of your rational friends have to waste their time dealing with all that nonsense without hurting your feelings or setting you off on a rant.
    Delusional friends can be a real pain in the ass :smile:

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit