Evolution is a Fact - Index of Parts 1 - 40

by cofty 191 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saename
    Saename
    False alarm... Nimble duck is just a troll (or utterly incapable of thinking and therefore not worth talking to.)
  • Perry
    Perry

Hey Cofty,

Professor Tours is one of the ten most cited chemistry scientists in the world. He would like to talk to you. I will purchase the air ticket for you and put you up in a hotel if I can be there when you explain to him how evolution works. Deal? Just think about all the people you could save.

Let me tell you what goes on in the back rooms of science – with National Academy members, with Nobel Prize winners. I have sat with them, and when I get them alone, not in public – because it’s a scary thing, if you say what I just said – I say, “Do you understand all of this, where all of this came from, and how this happens?” Every time that I have sat with people who are synthetic chemists, who understand this, they go “Uh-uh. Nope.” These people are just so far off, on how to believe this stuff came together. I’ve sat with National Academy members, with Nobel Prize winners. Sometimes I will say, “Do you understand this?”And if they’re afraid to say “Yes,” they say nothing. They just stare at me, because they can’t sincerely do it.

I was once brought in by the Dean of the Department, many years ago, and he was a chemist. He was kind of concerned about some things. I said, “Let me ask you something. You’re a chemist. Do you understand this? How do you get DNA without a cell membrane? And how do you get a cell membrane without a DNA? And how does all this come together from this piece of jelly?” We have no idea, we have no idea. I said, “Isn’t it interesting that you, the Dean of science, and I, the chemistry professor, can talk about this quietly in your office, but we can’t go out there and talk about this?”

If you understand evolution, I am fine with that. I’m not going to try to change you – not at all. In fact, I wish I had the understanding that you have.

But about seven or eight years ago I posted on my Web site that I don’t understand. And I said, “I will buy lunch for anyone that will sit with me and explain to me evolution, and I won’t argue with you until I don’t understand something – I will ask you to clarify. But you can’t wave by and say, “This enzyme does that.”

You’ve got to get down in the details of where molecules are built, for me. Nobody has come forward.
    The Atheist Society contacted me. They said that they will buy the lunch, and they challenged the Atheist Society, “Go down to Houston and have lunch with this guy, and talk to him.” Nobody has come! Now remember, because I’m just going to ask, when I stop understanding what you’re talking about, I will ask. So I sincerely want to know. I would like to believe it. But I just can’t.

Article

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray
    Perry:- " Professor Tours is one of the ten most cited chemistry scientists in the world. He would like to talk to you. I will purchase the air ticket for you and put you up in a hotel if I can be there when you explain to him how evolution works."

I love the subtext. Not smart or informed enough to take on Cofty, Perry will get his educated friend to debate in his place, because Perry isn't intellectual enough to do it himself.

Way to go Perry.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

Perry presents (or rather copy and pastes some else's work...) the we don't know everything therefore we know nothing argument. Utterly pathetic Perry.

I would imagine all scientists would like to know, would sincerely like to know everything but of course they have to work hard to gather information to improve their knowledge instead of behaving like this individual.

Again Perry, educate yourself so you might have a chance of understanding why these arguments you present are moronic.

• cofty
    cofty
    I was once brought in by the Dean of the Department, many years ago, and he was a chemist. He was kind of concerned about some things. I said, “Let me ask you something. You’re a chemist. Do you understand this? How do you get DNA without a cell membrane? And how do you get a cell membrane without a DNA? And how does all this come together from this piece of jelly?” We have no idea, we have no idea. - Anon

Notice this statement is attributed to an anonymous dean of an anonymous department of an unnamed university at an unstated date "many years ago".

If the puzzled Dean is still interested I could point him at the latest developments in origins.

Of course if your or your anonymous Dean knew anything at all about evolution you would address the evidence for evolution instead of changing the subject to abiogenesis.

• Perry
    Perry

C'mon Cofty,

It's Rice University in Houston for goodness sakes. I grew up there. I promise to pay all the bills, take you to some fantastic restaurants, tour NASA with you.

All you have to do is explain how macro-evolution (molecules to man evolution) works to someone who really does have the education that you so often claim you wish others had. (Even though you have ZERO such education yourself).

I'm in the construction industry. Dr. Tours "makes molecules" for a living. I'm curious, what do you do for a living?

• cofty
    cofty

Perry. Biological evolution is a well established fact. That explains the journey from LUCA to all of the millions of species on our planet.

If your professor really isn't familiar with the countless lines of evidence for this then I'm sure he has access to a fantastic academic library.

The questions of how geochemistry became biochemistry are very lively fields of research. He could invite Nick Lane of UCL for a visit if he seriously wants to discuss the latest developments in bioenergetics.

If as you imply, he really doesn't know in detail how an enzyme works at a molecular level he should ask one of his first year students.

If you have any specific objections to any of my first 40 threads on this topic that you can explain in your own words feel free to ask.

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray

The problem for you Perry is... if your offer was taken up, would you even know if your scientist was refuted?

Considering your record of debating with people on this forum, you're not exactly the sharpest tool in the box.

• Perry
    Perry
    He could invite Nick Lane of UCL for a visit if he seriously wants to discuss the latest developments in bioenergetics.

So I guess that means you decline my offer and the offer of Dr. Tours. I was really looking forward to meeting you. I guess I'm not really surprised. Your lack of formal education in science would be quite embarrassingly evident when engaging in any kind of meaningful dialogue with someone who actually does makes molecules for a living. It also forces you to rely on others research.

How is that different than what we all did with the WT's "research" at one time?

Well, the offer still stands in case you change your mind. Can't you at least give us a hint at what you do for a living?

Have a blessed day !

• Saename
    Saename

Perry, you just lost all respect. I was fine whenever I saw your topics on how the Bible should be interpreted. But this? Young earth creationism?

Sure, you have the freedom to believe what you want, but you should know that this is extraordinarily ridiculous. Your beliefs deserve the mockery they receive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit