Repository for JW "experiences" with Hurricane Harvey

by sir82 36 Replies latest jw friends

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I saw the scam first hand in the aftermath of hurrican andrew in florida... houses fixed for free with free labor and free materials (all donated by fellow wintesses) and congregants pressured to give insurance money to the org

• LV101
    LV101

I 'heard' they were finally helping 'strange' or non-witnesses out -- of course, they had to hand over their insurance policy or checks, whatever.

Not only are they a real estate business but also construction business. Ironic they hire professional, decent, contractors to do their own places in upstate NY.

They probably have a few decent construction workers but can't have that many General Contractors. Just plain wrong.

• John Davis
    John Davis

I don't get the problem with expecting that the person who does get their house repaired to give some of the insurance money. Insurance is to make a person whole not to be a windfall for the recipient.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

The problem is this , john.... insirance companies demand work be done by certified vendors usually requiring garuntees of some sort on the work and often with price points fixed or at least price guidlines. The wt “volunteer” workers offer non of that and on top of it they hawk free publicty on how they “help” fellow believers and give willingly... the untold story being the slave labor and donated materials used to line the wt pockets in a back door scam. Its not simply the insured paying someone to fix their house.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I don't get the problem with expecting that the person who does get their house repaired to give some of the insurance money. Insurance is to make a person whole not to be a windfall for the recipient.

Sure, if a bunch of volunteers happen to make you whole again. But often, they are not repairing things back to the original state and they are certainly not getting it inspected to be sure of their work quality.

I put shingles up after Hurricane Andrew. If the JW homeowner's insurance was for that, he can feel free to go ahead and donate it to WTS. But also keep in mind that it wasn't WTS that paid to get me there. We did not give the homeowner a choice of shingles. So WTS buys the same shingles for all homes in bulk, shells out a little money for YOUR home, and you are asked to donate the entire sum to them instead of having it inspected by a pro or saving the money to put the right shingles up there a few years from now.

And that's just shingles. Did we use the right roof boards below them? How about window replacements done by WTS volunteers? Wouldn't it be more likely those were not the right ones, might not be as durable as the original?

https://questionsforjehovahswitnesses.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/disaster-relief-fund.jpg

• LV101
    LV101

Morph - perfect!

The insurance money is for the repairs but the homeowner usually has options to choose their own qualified general contractor or contractors, subs, workmen, whatever. Maybe the WT does the labor for less or the homeowner is impressed with the JWs work from the neighborhood. Interesting.

My general contractor recently had a JW working in my home -- he was one of the worse tile/stone artisans I've ever had! I didn't know he was a JW but told my contractor he was hounding me crazy for side jobs that my general contractor (his employer!) already knew about! He (the professed JW) was so angry he wasn't going to get a lot of money on the side he started doing shoddy work - I had to call the GC and tell him that's it! I don't want him on my property -- a few days later my GC told me he'd been ex-communicated from the JW church and had done bad work elsewhere. I told my GC they don't get "ex-communicated" for shoddy work and they're in dire need of members. He thinks some he has are good workers -- I'm sure they are. This bad JW workmen was recommended via the other JW workmen and they told my GC that he's a con artist -- sure they fessed up after he stole product from my residence and the other JWs couldn't cover for him any longer. They want their cult to look so good in the eyes of the GC and not know any of their JW associate's horrible work ethics but couldn't care less what happens to the client. Unreal.

I told my GC not to send any JWs to my house - I don't trust them! I've had my own share of the god-fearing people in the past. I'm not saying there aren't really good ones out there. My GC got it!

Also, he was only working about 3 - 3-1/2 hrs. a day and all over the valley looking for side jobs charging the GC for a full day's work. Unreal. I hope the GC got a dose of JW reality!

• undercover
    undercover

I don't get that the supposed organizer of volunteers who rush to help those in need expects payment. That's not charity or relief work... that's commerce.

• undercover
    undercover

My general contractor recently had a JW working in my home -- he was one of the worse tile/stone artisans I've ever had!

I told my GC not to send any JWs to my house - I don't trust them!

I've seen some shoddy JW tradesmen and contractors as well. But - I know some JWs who are excellent at their craft, and do quality work at a fair price, and would not hesitate to hire them to do work for me, should I need their expertise. Basically, they're the same as any other group, when it comes to trustworthiness, skill, and experience.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I'm sure that the society will recite "upbuilding experinces" after this PR opportunity (natural disaster) passes.

They will be "factual accounts" such as:

"A city official was overheard saying that 'only you people give evidence of being Gods true people'" But of course no name will be provided to prove this.

Or

We will hear reports of "neighbors saw the unity of Gods people and accepted a bible study, which resulted in 6 members of the family coming into the Truth!"

Or, after hearing about the many deaths in the community, the society will boast about how the disaster resulted in a "fine shout of praise toJehovah!"

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Sorry, I know it is a side point, but your thread title reminded me of an ignorant and massive stuff-up that an Australian prime minister made when it comes to the use of the word "repository" a few years back!

Enjoy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Y5R2LWWAQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit