Who is the mediator for jehovahs witnesses?

by atomant 101 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

atomant,

"Just as Noah and his God-fearing family were preserved in the ark, survival of individuals today depends on their... loyal association with the earthly part of Jehovah's universal organization." Watchtower 2006 May 15 p.22 "Are You Prepared for Survival?"

The Watchtower considers the Governing Body as the Mediator between God and members (as well as the rest of mankind). They act as the peoples' Savior. There is no Salvation for anyone outside of the Watchtower's pronouncement of "loyal association" or "good standing" in Watchtower theology.

• vienne
    vienne

A mediator is a go between who stands between God and another party. He negotiates a covenant. A propitiator is a reconciler, a peace maker. As I said before, in witness theology they keep those concepts separate because they believe only a small number are in the New Covenant, but all are reconciled to God through Christ.

Some of you are confusing the two terms to cause outrage. The real issue is this: are there two classes of Christians, one destined to heaven and the other to a paradise earth. That question has been debated for several centuries, but within traceable Witness history it has been an issue since the mid 19th Century.

Witnesses do NOT teach that 'the earthly class' is without a savior, salvation or reconciliation. They do NOT teach that salvation comes through the anointed or a governing body. We may reject Witness theology, but we should be honest about it. A false outrage is wrong.

• vienne
    vienne

This is what the Bible says about Jesus as mediator: “Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance” -- Heb. 9:15.

This is not the work of reconciliation. This is an organizational covenant, just as the old [Mosaic] covenant was organizational. The question is, then, are the Great Crowd under the new covenant, or is there a separate "Israel of God," limited in number? If we answer as Jehovah's Witnesses do, that only a limited number are in the New Covenant, then all else is not. Jesus did not negotiate a covenant with them. If we answer as some others do, that every Christian is part of the new covenant, then the Great Crowd has Jesus as its mediator.

However we answer, an organizing covenant is not the work of reconciliation. That's Jesus' role as atonement sacrifice, and in that role, John the Apostle calls him the propitiatory sacrifice for all. The two terms are distinct both in English and in Greek. Purposely confusing them, as some are doing here, persuades only the choir.

Being exact and accurate in our criticism matters.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    They do NOT teach that salvation comes through the governing body

I think a solid case could be made otherwise.

• vienne
    vienne

Then make it. It's not Witness doctrine.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

How about... they have said numerous times that the Organisation and the Governing body are essential for a JWs salvation.

Your turn.

• vienne
    vienne

exact quotation please.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Sorry, no quotes... got nothing but 30 years of JW indoctrination.

You don’t believe they have said it’s vital to maintain in the borg?

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Perry is spot on. (Watchtower 2006 May 15 p.22 ) As was I in my earliest post, the one right after the OP.

Unlike Perry, I have lost interest in backing up my assertions with WT print propaganda.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

How about the baptism question? Should we dismiss that entirely?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit