Protect Your Family??

by Tech49 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tech49
    Tech49

Here is an article in the current study copy of the WT. Tell me your thoughts and I will tell you mine.! This is a topic that I am very sensitive about, as I could NEVER see NOT protecting my family, even if that meant using whatever means at hand to do so! Again, a spurious example of double-speak.

Questions From Readers

Would it be fitting for a Christian to keep a firearm, such as a handgun or a rifle, for protection against other humans?

While Christians may take reasonable steps to ensure their personal security, they do so within the framework of Bible principles. These advise against the use of carnal weapons, such as handguns, rifles, or other firearms, for protection against other humans. Consider the following:

In Jehovah’s eyes, life—especially human life—is sacred. The psalmist David knew that Jehovah “is the source of life.” (Psalm 36:9) Hence, if a Christian chooses to take reasonable measures to defend himself or his property, he would do everything in his power to avoid taking a human life and becoming bloodguilty.—Deuteronomy 22:8; Psalm 51:14.

Although using any number of objects could lead to incurring bloodguilt, guns make it easier to kill someone—accidentally or deliberately. *

[Footnote.] * A Christian might decide to own a firearm (such as a rifle or a shotgun) for hunting animals for food or for protection against wild animals. When not in use, though, such weapons are best kept unloaded, perhaps even disassembled, and safely locked away. Where gun ownership is illegal, restricted, or regulated in some other way, Christians obey the law.—Romans 13:1. [End of Footnote.]

Moreover, if an attacker—who may already be tense—sees that the other person has a firearm, the situation is very likely to escalate and a death might result.

When Jesus told his followers to equip themselves with swords on the final night of his life on earth, he did not have protection in mind. (Luke 22:36, 38) Rather, Jesus had them bring a sword for an object lesson to teach them not to resort to violence, even when confronted by an armed crowd. (Luke 22:52) After Peter wielded one of the swords against the high priest’s slave, Jesus commanded Peter: “Return your sword to its place.” Then Jesus stated a fundamental truth, a principle that guides his followers to this day: “All those who take up the sword will perish by the sword.”—Matthew 26:51, 52.

In harmony with Micah 4:3, God’s people “beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears.” This identifying trait of true Christians harmonizes with the apostle Paul’s inspired exhortation: “Return evil for evil to no one.... If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men.” (Romans 12:17, 18) Despite the many troubles that Paul experienced, including “dangers from robbers,” he lived by his words, never putting personal security above Scriptural principles. (2 Corinthians 11:26) Instead, he trusted in God and in the wisdom found in His Word—wisdom that “is better than weapons of war.”—Ecclesiastes 9:18.

Christians consider life to be far more valuable than material things. “Life does not result from the things [a man] possesses.” (Luke 12:15) Thus, if a mild tongue fails to stop an armed robber, wise Christians heed the principle embodied in Jesus’ words: “Do not resist the one who is wicked.” It may even require that we give up our inner and outer garments, so to speak. (Matthew 5:39, 40; Luke 6:29) *

[Footnote.] * Regarding the matter of defending oneself against rape, see the article “How to Prevent Rape” in the March 8, 1993, issue of Awake! [End of Footnote.]

The best strategy, of course, is prevention. If we shun “the showy display of [our] means of life” and are known by our neighbors as peace-loving Witnesses of Jehovah, we may avoid being targeted by violent criminals.—1 John 2:16; Proverbs 18:10.

Christians respect others’ consciences. (Romans 14:21) If it became known that a member of the congregation kept a gun for protection against humans, some fellow believers might be shocked, even stumbled. Love moves us to put others’ interests ahead of our own, even when that means putting aside what we may feel is a legal right.—1 Corinthians 10:32, 33; 13:4, 5.

Christians strive to be exemplary. (2 Corinthians 4:2; 1 Peter 5:2, 3) After receiving Scriptural counsel, a Christian who continues to keep a gun for protection against other humans could not be considered exemplary. He would therefore not qualify for responsibilities or special privileges in the congregation. The same applies to a Christian who continues to carry a firearm as part of his secular work. How much better to seek other employment! *

[Footnote.] * Further details on the question of accepting employment that involves being armed are found in The Watchtower of November 1, 2005, page 31; and July 15, 1983, pages 25-26. [End of Footnote.]

How a Christian chooses to protect himself, his family, or his possessions is, of course, largely a personal matter, as is his choice of employment. That said, Bible principles reflect God’s wisdom and his love for us. Out of regard for those principles, spiritually mature Christians choose not to keep a firearm for protection against other humans. They know that true and lasting security comes to those who demonstrate trust in God by living in harmony with Bible principles.—Psalm 97:10; Proverbs 1:33; 2:6, 7.

Picture on page 31: During the great tribulation, Christians will rely on Jehovah and not try to defend themselves

• Tech49
    Tech49

Ok, so here's some of my thoughts:

For some who dont like guns, or where they may be completely illegal to even own....Now, I dont play baseball, but if I have an aluminum bat next to my bedroom door, for the "just in case" scenario..... does that make me no longer a "true Christian?" Am I supposed to be ok with letting my wife and daughter get assaulted, raped,.... or worse.... because I dont want to break "bible principles?"

Respect other's consciences??? How about if I dont tell them, and they mind their own business!

• pontoon
    pontoon

Bullshit. Twisting scriptures around and misappling them.

• zeb
    zeb

I was always some confused by the sword scene at Jesus arrest but the wt is not just confused but they have twisted their dogma into the scripture and as regards the appalling crime of rape..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPwKhOW6sL0

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TECH49:

It was always my opinion that the Jehovah's Witness religion expected its members to not protect themselves and to let themselves be victimized by anybody and everybody.

Naturally, the idea of somebody defending themselves with a weapon would be frowned upon. You should just lay down and die, (they wish!) Never mind that in Jesus's time they carried small swords. Whether this was to protect against animal attacks only, I don't know. But, they were armed.

I'll take it a step further and say that the general teachings of the religion try to erode our instinct of self-preservation. They start by breaking down people's personal boundaries to gradually get them to tolerate anything. The end result of this, if taken to a ridiculous length, would be those creatures in the movie The Time Machine who were so docile they allowed themselves to be taken away and eaten by the cannibalistic underground dwellers. They had no instinct of self-preservation at all.

I think this is ultimately what the religion wants from its followers. I wasn't buying it, along with a lot of other things they said.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

You know, the Bible is enough of a weapon on its own ;). Comedian, Anthony Jesselnik proved this with an amazing story about his uncle. He said, this man has always carried a copy of the Bible specifically in his breast pocket for as long his he could remember. And Anthony would always tease the uncle for it. One day, his uncle got caught in the crossfire of an armed robbery when a bullet struck the God-fearing man in the chest. "And MIRACULOUSLY, my uncle... had something to read while he bled to death."

• Giordano
    Giordano

Wake Me Up.........Yep that about sums up the dreadful policies of the fantasy world of the WTBTS. One of a number of religions that teach's you how to live in a world that doesn't exist.

• Tech49
    Tech49

This was the first thing that caught my eye:

"While Christians may take reasonable steps to ensure their personal security, they do so within the framework of Bible principles. These advise against the use of carnal weapons, such as handguns, rifles, or other firearms, for protection against other humans."

What? Um, excuse me.... but that is a stretch isnt it? Where does it say that? What scripture are we referring to? Oh, that's right, there isnt one...

A Christian might decide to own a firearm (such as a rifle or a shotgun) for hunting animals for food or for protection against wild animals. When not in use, though, such weapons are best kept unloaded, perhaps even disassembled, and safely locked away.

.... where it will do no one any good if needed, as it is in pieces in a box in the garage....thanks for the GREAT advice T'Mo.... you all stay in your lockable bunker with food service and laundry, and watch the real world out your lakefront window.

"When Jesus told his followers to equip themselves with swords on the final night of his life on earth, he did not have protection in mind. (Luke 22:36, 38) Rather, Jesus had them bring a sword for an object lesson to teach them not to resort to violence, even when confronted by an armed crowd. (Luke 22:52)"

BULLS**T !! Just plain BS! Says who?? Are we just making this crap up as we go along, to fit the general agenda??? C'mon.... People carried swords for protection! There was no "object lesson"!

Thus, if a mild tongue fails to stop an armed robber, wise Christians heed the principle embodied in Jesus’ words: “Do not resist the one who is wicked.” It may even require that we give up our inner and outer garments, so to speak.

Oh MY GOD! A MILD tongue???? "Please kind sir, can you stop beating and raping my wife and daughter, no really, please. For real, pretty please. This is not proper. I just wont stand for it! Stop now! "sigh" No? Ok, well.... ok, I will just wait until you are done..... All done? Can I read you a scripture? How about a quick video, I think we have time.....Ok, now go in peace, be blessed. And here, take my jacket and my car and my wallet...." ...."at least I'm a TRUE Christian"...

Screw that! The dude is getting as good of a thrashing as I can muster! Or worse!

WTF??!! But dont you dare actually protect yourself, or be PREPARED to protect yourself, because then you showing to everyone that you arent a TRUE CHRISTIAN! on the contrary...Its ENTIRELY a PERSONAL matter, and none of your GoshDarn business!

"Out of regard for those principles, spiritually mature Christians choose not to keep a firearm for protection against other humans. They know that true and lasting security comes to those who demonstrate trust in God by living in harmony with Bible principles."

So you and you and you and YOU are NOT spiritually mature Christians. Because we say so. Demonstrate your trust in a God who wont do diddly squat if your family or you yourself are in danger. Live in harmony with Bible principles..... and be dead/maimed/raped/etc.

In conclusion... these guys that live in their little granite castle on the lake in Upstate New York are just getting more and more ridiculous by the minute. As LongHairGirl pointed out, any little glimmer of personality or self-reliance is a direct affront to these buffoons and their ego-maniacal way of life. I am continually amazed at how much they want to control EVERY SINGLE aspect of their follower's lives. I am even more amazed at how much their followers LET their lives be controlled! CULT 101, for sure. I think that the longer they print crap like this, and hateful messes like the shunning video, the more REAL thinking people they will continue to lose.

Morons. Just morons.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto
    I think it feeds the persecution complex of the org when bad things happen to members and so if you were to defend yourself and especially in a way that would likely have you be successful, noone could point to "poor Larry, who died a faithful man, just after watching his wife and children get raped and killed by the wicked unbelievers." Martyrs are good for business. PS Larry is probably a fictional character and any resemblance to a real person/experience is horrific and unintended.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

So it's "a personal choice" BUT you are not considered exemplary and may have privileges removed if you choose own a firearm.The ole JW double speak bulls@it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit