How to stop school violence

by Jayk 24 Replies latest social humour

• blownaway
    blownaway

Roboto, it was in the northern part of Michigan. It was very common in more rural communities. I never had any use for big cities. Full of crime and crap. Same today only worse. Some say it correlates with kids taking drugs for ADD and other things. I think its more complicated and most likely can be traced to several things. When I was growing up we had one or two single family homes and that was the odd man out. Not its more the norm. perversion is also the norm, I have no issue with two people of the same sex but many seem to want to wash their and others kids in it. We did not have video games that made very real looking killing easy. My mother would yell at me to get to bed when she was watching Hitchcock's the birds as it was to violent for me. Now that would be a Sat. morning cartoon. Pre 1941 80 percent of Americans lived on farms. Now its this weird almost machine run corporate farming and every one want to live in a friends city situation or sex in the city BS. When I was growing up it was not easy to get your hands on a playboy, and National Geo. was the best you could do. Even as a young man, to get blue movies you would go to a video shop and get and OK to go in the back room with a curtain to rent one. Now you can see it as it happens on ten thousand channels no questions asked. I don't think the human can adapt to this as fast as technology has changed.

As far as guns go, most liberals do not know the difference between an AR15 and a Browning BAR or Remington 7400. The latter two are hunting rifles in semi auto. The 223 or 5.56 used in most ARs is more anemic than what most would use for hunting medium game like deer. A 3006, 308 is very common and would do 10x the damage of a 223. And the guns work the same way the AR does. Gas operated self loading. This is why the 1994 crime bill failed.

Fienstein lied when she said it worked. ARs were built for the ten years they were supposedly banned. An AR with a flash suppressor removed [does nothing more than help not blind the shooter from flash at night] and the bayonet lug removed made it not an "assault rifle." I bought a Colt Match Target Sportster in 1996 that does not work any different than the pre ban type. So the idea that shootings went down because of the ban is an out and out lie.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Just another example of how the best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun

Perhaps we should all carry a can of spray paint so we can stop graffiti artists dead in their tracks that way we could go back to having spray paint available in the store like we did back in the good ol' days.

People carrying guns may be able to stop a shooter once he's begun shooting and has mowed a dozen people down but the idea is to prevent the shooting in the first place by making the guns or at least the ammo as difficult to get as prescription medicine is. Can you imagine the number of misfires and gun related accidents there would be on a daily basis if everyone walked around carrying a gun just in case they encountered a shooter? Can you imagine the casualties there would be from stray bullets if everyone with a gun opened fire on a shooter in a Mall? They could kill or injure more bystanders than the shooter himself would have.

Statistically we are on a daily basis more likely to get into a serious car accident than we are to encounter a shooter but it would be viewed as impractical or crazy to suggest that we all should wear crash helmets when riding in a car yet there are those who suggest that the solution to the gun problem is that we should all carry guns in the off chance we encounter a shooter.

We brought our own guns to school and took the bus to the school forest and drove deer to each other for hunting season. Now they need safe places because someone may say something that hurts their feelings.

When I was a kid we used to fly down the freeway at 70 mph in the back of a station wagon with no seat belts and we all survived but it doesn't mean that it was a good idea or that we should just ignore the statistics now that we know better. There were plenty of kids killed even though we didn't hear about it or may not have known anyone who was thrown through a windshield.

I don't know what exactly changed but its not good. People are becoming weak and thin skinned.

Humans have always been just as thin skinned, you just hear their complaints more readily now which doesn't mean their complaints don't have any merit. Back in the old days when something went wrong, you just figured it was an isolated incident. Now we can see things on a global scale and can recognize patterns that need to change.

Speaking of thin skinned,for some reason it's legal to buy and possess armor piercing ammunition, but it's illegal to sell it which means you can have it, but nobody can sell it to you. For some reason, when it comes to gun regulations, the logic is so skewed and anyone who points it out is dismissed as being "thin skinned".

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    Perhaps we should all carry a can of spray paint so we can stop graffiti artists dead in their tracks that way we could go back to having spray paint available in the store like we did back in the good ol' days.

If "paint spray" could stop graffiti artists...I'd say carry some.

but the idea is to prevent the shooting in the first place.

Great...any suggestions?

• millie210
    millie210

Since this is a thread about school shootings and not gun control I was thinking outside the "gun" box for a minute.

The what might be the weapon but the "why" does not get looked at much. Whatever is wrong inside these shooters is wrong before they pick up the gun. Trying to address that would be time well spent by us all.

I dont claim to have an answer. I suspect that kids are growing up today in a society that does not address some basic need.

What need?

I dont know. I do wonder about the lack of heros in todays world. No clear cut good guys or bad guys everyones efforts picked apart on social media. Does that play some role?

Or maybe the institutional upbringing of children? Most kids go in to daycare just after birth and then the school system. All institutional upbringing. Does this foster some elemental detachment we are unaware of?

Dont claim to have the answers, just a lot of questions like everyone else.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Great...any suggestions?

Oh I don't know.....just off the top of my head....maybe limit the amount and type of guns a person can own. Make bullets as difficult to get as a pair of contact lenses or a bottle of prescription drugs. Limit the amount of ammo a person can buy or keep. Make gun owners keep their stock pile of guns at the local firing range rather than in their home where their kids can get at them. Figure out what's going on with young males that makes them want to shoot up their school. Figure out whats going on mentally with the large sections of the population that feel the need to surround themselves with weapons.

I dont claim to have an answer. I suspect that kids are growing up today in a society that does not address some basic need.

What need? I dont know. I do wonder about the lack of heros in todays world. No clear cut good guys or bad guys everyones efforts picked apart on social media. Does that play some role?

There are studies that suggest that since the "women's movement" young males are becoming increasingly lost because large numbers of fathers are either absent entirely or are distant with their sons because they too were ignored or neglected or are unsure of their place in the world. The role of men has become blurred and hard wired masculine traits that were once thought of as admirable or even necessary, are often deemed as bad or in need of correction. Boys are no longer able to do things that boys like to do as a group without girls being included. Girls are the gold standard of behavior and the message is that boys need to be more like girls and if men were more like women the world would be a better place. Fathers are the butt of every joke on television and adult men are portrayed as clueless buffoons who are mocked and disrespected by their wives and children. There is evidence that more and more boys and young men are lost, resentful and hate themselves and are lashing out at the world around them. Girls on the other hand statistically are doing better in every way.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Jayk that was not at all funny.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

@Jayk my boys would agree with you.

When I was growing up in the 70s, our school had 15 22lr bolt actions, 2 1100 Remington 12 ga semi autos and one 870 20 ga pump. We loaded our own ammo shot skeet in the school forest in the two hours of out door education

@Blown away. And I tell my kids how dangerous it was we were allowed to practice javelin throwing on the school playing field at playtime LoL!! ( UK)

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    SparrowdownOr maybe the institutional upbringing of children? Most kids go in to daycare just after birth and then the school system. All institutional upbringing. Does this foster some elemental detachment we are unaware of?

If there is an answer ( aside from sheer statistics ie more people, more mental ill) Sparrowdown you may just have it. Certainly Bowlby's"attachment theory" paper, and more recent studies, agree a single carer ( doesn't matter the sex or who) is more beneficial than the multiple carers kids get in daycare. That's why the well off get a Nanny.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Two actions to take as to reduce the use of gun violence (youth and adults) is to restrict gun ownership and stop selling gun violence to kids ie. video games etc.

The gun restriction initiative in Australia and England reduced gun violence in those countries.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Gun restrictions for citizens not only tends to reduce gun violence (apparently) but it also tends to reduce liberty.

I say take the guns away from one and all - police, military and citizens. Then, gun deaths will be nearly zero and the original purpose of the 2nd amendment will be fulfilled in that the gov will not have the balance of power in their favor by virtue of their own arms being able to over power a determined citizenry.

But the sudden uptick in blunt force trauma, sharp object and other deaths will leave more questions to be answered. At least those take more effort to accomplish but there's no good way to stop all highly motivated would-be murderers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit