How would you reason with a JW that it is okay to say Good Luck?

by Iamallcool 39 Replies latest jw friends

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Try this during a conversation with a JW - perform a fake sneeze and see if they say "Bless you."

I've heard JW's instinctively say this to sneezers over the years.

• stillin
    stillin

May the unknown forces which govern mathematical probabilities favor you today.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

To counsel someone against saying "good luck" because it is a form of worship to "the god of luck" infers that another god other than Jehovah exists.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

@ingognigo Montoya Typical ignorant JW. Fortune does not " come from" fortune telling, it's the other way around. Your fortune is simply your sum total wealth - not necessarily monetary wealth but usually so.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

How to reason with a jw? "Good luck with that!"

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

Diogenesister, while I can see it from your point of view, the word fortune comes from the latin, Fortuna. Fortuna was the Roman goddess of luck or chance.

But it very much proves my point in that, though the word derives from pagan origins, it has evolved to a somewhat different meaning in our day.

Fortunately; ie, things went well despite the probability of something going wrong.

Unfortunately; ie, something went wrong, despite best efforts to avoid problems.

It would be next to impossible to converse (at least in the English language) and not, at some point, use one of those two words.

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

We could keep going. Take Sunday for example. Day of the Sun. Derived from astrology. Perhaps they should refer to that day, and at least some of the other days of the week, as something else, given their pagan and astrological origins. And, while we're at it, why is their most important meeting held on Sunday?...

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

Good point I M. I wonder that they went to the trouble of rewriting the bible to match what they think is correct, that they haven't thought of rewriting their calendar also. Maybe call sunday meeting day and saturday field service day.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I can recall one oldie who would have taken you to task for using the word Fantastic in your talk.

Because fantastic derived from Fantasy, and if something was a fantasy it didn't exist. So you couldn't say "I hope our pioneers will have a fantastic time at the school."

Fantastic! Take that brother into the back room and have him shot....

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

that they haven't thought of rewriting their calendar also.

Actually I think they did do that at one time wrote their own calendar but it seasoned out .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit