How would you reason with a JW that it is okay to say Good Luck?

by Iamallcool 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Why do they have a problem with good luck? Luck is just the probabilities of events happening. Good results is good luck and bad results is bad luck.

At assemblies they pray that people get home safely. That reduces the probabilities of crashes. Thus they pray for good events from the probabilities.

Thus the god of good luck is Jehovah.

Saying Good luck is a prayer to Jehovah for good events.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

There are some Pretty Good Comments! Thanks!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    lamallcool - "How would you reason with a JW...?"

I stopped at that point.

Why bother?

:smirk:

• Della Street
    Della Street

SO many bigger fish to fry...

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Vidiot, I don’t mind trying. If that is something you do not want to do, fine with me.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“KiwiBoy”: Oh the Pharisees had nothing on JW's....and their heavy load of demands.

I wish I could keep pressing the “Like” button and it would keep adding up and retaining the total number of likes – because you really hit the nail right on the head! Your post indeed says it all.

• SAHS
    SAHS

A substitute circuit overseer whom my folks had over for supper around 1990 used that word “lucky” very nonchalantly in his conversation. He didn’t even seem to realize any issue with that word “luck” in the archaic Watch Tower’s viewpoint.

So much for all of “God’s people” unitedly towing their party line.

• SAHS
    SAHS

Another point: even the most prominent male Jehovah’s Witnesses wear ties bearing the well-known paisley pattern. . . . . But, did you know that even that has definite “pagan origins”? Well, consider this.

A design that is many hundreds of years old

paisley-pattern

The design itself can trace its origins back to Persia and the Sassanid Dynasty, a period of time that stretches back to around 221AD. Its distinctive shape, likened variously to a tear drop, a kidney or even that most exotic of fruit the Mango was originally called “boteh jegheh” and was created as a motif for a religious movement known as Zoroastrianists. The design was supposed to represent the Cypress Tree which was their symbol of everlasting life.

In Tamil culture, another region famed for it’s love of the pattern, the paisley design is known as Mankolam, as it resembles a Mango. Mango fruit is incredibly highly prized amongst the Tamil, it being a symbol of health, peace and prosperity.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Go back far enough, practically everything has "pagan" origins.

• myelaine
    myelaine

This is only slightly related: I was following a post on facebook where a JW lady was asking about a product and where she could buy it. Anyway, someone else suggested she might find it at such and such a store. JW lady was very pleased and said, "fingers twisted".

seriously? she couldn't say "crossed" but was on board for the superstition...

🙄

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit