How would you reason with a JW that it is okay to say Good Luck?

by Iamallcool 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Any takers?

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

good luck on this thread..

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Why bother?

• Normalfulla
    Normalfulla

Its the same as saying i wish you well. Its just one of those things people say....

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Good one! NormalFulla!

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

I have heard "good luck" said in the hall, by an elder, from the platform. As with many things, while deemed inappropriate because of its origin, it has become a figure of speech in our modern era. Depending on a JW's personality and rationale, they will be more or less inclined to use it. True, it is frowned upon, and the society has admonished its followers of its pagan origins, but it's one of those things that, if not said often, and in front of brother stringent, it would be shrugged off. Now, if you ask any of them if using "good luck" is acceptable by a Christian, well good luck getting any answer other than no.

I was was once admonished that saying "unfortunate" was bad, as it was a derivative of fortune (as in fortune telling). How can a person using the English language not use the words fortunate or unfortunate (fortunately, unfortunately), at some point? They have become an ingrained part of our language and evolved in their meaning, beyond what the initial root word intended.

...but, you could use that in your argument. Ask if they have a problem using the words fortunate, unfortunate.

• Giordano
    Giordano

So you think saying good luck is pagan....right?

Do you know that lipstick also started in Pagan times?

"According to Egyptologists, women wore red lipstick to show that they were willing to give oral sex and that they were good at it."

https://culturacolectiva.com/history/sex-in-ancient-egypt-red-lipstick

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Nope. You can't reason with someone who doesn't want to...

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Jeff, At least we can try! They might think more about it later!

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

:)

If it is your desire to try, you'll get a lot further then I would.

I am with anything that helps JW's to think on their own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit