1958 Convention Program. 8 days from 9am till 9pm. Anyone attend?

by StopTheTears 76 Replies latest jw friends

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

My parents flew from the UK to be there. I think that being there with 4/10 of the world wide membership served to radicalise them. They came back as weapons grade converts ready to sacrifice anything for the lord.

I was too young to go but personally knew 5 of the speakers.

• TheListener
    TheListener
    I wasn't there, not born yet, but my parents and grandparents were all there. And I thought 4 days was bad.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    I was born that year. I have some of the talks on mp3 in my garage somewhere. The talks were as boring as you can imagine. The most interesting bit was hearing airplanes fly over. or was it snoring?
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Incredible memories.Dunedan the little fair haired one slap bang under the raging midday sun with no protection!Wasnt it cruel that kids were not indulged even to the point of being given crayons?

Enjoying all your memories folks - did we have less to do then?you all should write a book together - fascinating.

Sliding fast LOL weapons grade converts!!I guess you all were at Twinkenham in the 70's then?!Did you know an American missionary sister named Peggy in the south of England?

• Dagney
    Dagney

blondie - I remember it being ridiculously hot...first aid was busy. Do you remember they warned over and over about the "oleander" bushes, and to stay away from them because they were poisonous. My bird died during that time, so that happened.

That's right about Harold King, forgot about that. That was a BIG deal.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein
    Doubtfully Yours

says .....

The 3 days, 9:30 to 5 p.m., I now have to deal with is not that bad in comparison

What they don't even have evening sessions now ?

• Stuck in the middle37
    Stuck in the middle37

We were living in northern Calif. in 1958 and went to that assemble as did every one we knew. It was and remains one of the highlights of my life as a witness. As we drove back and got closer to the east coast the roads were covered with witnesses all the parks, roadside rest areas people waving, it was like a big family reunion. We got there a few day early so we went up to see the farm. When we got back and entered New York they had people on the road to help you find your way. All my friends from the bay area was there we had a time at Time Squire in the evenings. Met a nice girl from Florida spent most of the assemble with her. The main stadium was to full so we spend most of our time at the Polo grounds. In the big blowup pictures of the assemble I can see a friend and I sitting there during the main talk.

After the assemble we took a tour of the factory. Just had a great time I was convince this was the truth and this was God's organ.

I also remember the 63 Rose Bowl I had just got out of prison (Tucson federal) a few months earlier and we were planning a big reunion(the jws I was in prison with) .Had a good time, I still thought it was God's organ. It took me along time to leave.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

We drove from California to NY to attend the International convention in 1958. We camped out on the way there and back. That was the fun part as I was only 12 at the time. But sitting in the heat for 8 days hearing boring talks was in my opinion child abuse.

Also attended the 1963 8 day convention at the Rose Bowl. I was 17 at the time. But sitting for 12 hours in the heat for 8 days listening to boring talks was teenager abuse.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    the 1958 International Assembly is the one my mother got baptized at. which makes me a born-in, although I was born December 1957 and the assembly was July 1958
  • wannaexit
    wannaexit
    My inlaws where there on their honeymoon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit