1958 Convention Program. 8 days from 9am till 9pm. Anyone attend?

by StopTheTears 76 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    There was a CONvention held here in Peterborough. Guess what. The local r&f had to go to Milton Keynes or somewhere. Not even allowed to attend locally. The r&f coming to Peterborough came from...well...not Peterborough. Typical corporation stupidity.
  • brandnew
    brandnew
    Wingcommander.......SHASTA !!!!!!!! yup.....shasta made a killing with watchtower.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i went to twickers in the early 60's--on 2 occasions.--as a youngster.

the first time i recall staying in a rented room full of cats hairs--and i was asthmatic. i was with my mum. i persuaded her to let me stay at a main railway station all evening--i was an avid trainspotter. imagine that happening these days !.

the second time i slept in the tent camp at the stadium--great fun--loads of kids together. i dont think i ever heard a word of the programme--always up to mischief with the other kids.

in my teens and early 20's--i dont honestly remember ever reading a watchtower or an awake--except for the sunday study articles. i may have learned maybe half a dozen bible verses by rote.

• Perry
    Perry

I went to the convention in Atlanta, GA in 1969. I was only six but remember it well. It was 9am to 9pm for 8 days straight. Might as well have been North Korean indoctrination mind programming. I remember squirming and writhing ....counting the minutes until 9pm.

But, at least I was provided with some nice children's books to play with:

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho
    Plus jw's needed to take that as their summer vacation so as hard as they slaved for the BOrg the kids never got a real vacation with the family
  • blondie
    blondie

I went to the 1969 international 8 day...was baptized on the day man walked on the moon. Life a home was worse than being at the convention. Went to the 1973 in the US and Europe.

The music was better, orchestras, and kingdom songs were better than now.

Cafeteria food and food stands were pretty good. As stadiums had potty parity, lines got shorter to the restrooms.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    that imaginary from that Paradise Book is still with me to this very day Perry
  • blondie
  • Witness 007
    Witness 007
    Thats because bethelites dont know what KID'S are!!! Most were not allowed to marry back then.
  • Perry
    Perry

Me too Jook Beard. I remember being fixated on the little girl falling into the hole clutching her little doll. If you look closely, right next to her was her puppy dog dying too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit