Why I lost my religion

by Sour Grapes 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i am one very lucky S.O.B.

i realised i simply did not believe in a god..just a man-made idea. so--no point in being a dub anymore. i was 23 years old.

why very lucky ? i'm 69 now.

so that 46 years watchtower-free.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

Even if JW's were right about the gloom and doom and god was going to destroy the world, I can't even imagine living in a world that is run by elders and elderettes. And what new tests would god give us to prove our loyalty to him during the 1,000 year reign?

The final test after the 1,000 years sounds like a lot of fun. In Revelation chapter 20 we read:

"When the thousand years are complete, Satan will be released from his prison and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to assemble them for battle. Their number is like the sand of the seashore. And they marched across the broad expanse of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city. But fire came down from heaven and consumed them.…"

Maybe then, at last, no more test from god. Sure sounds like hundreds of thousands of people or even millions of people ("their number is like the sand of the seashore") weren't too happy with paradise and having a pet lion and sitting around all day having picnics. Perhaps it all got to be a little boring after several hundreds of years of life.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Pete Za Even at that, I couldn't get through the Watchtower study without ducking out to my car after the public talk, to have a sip of the beer or wine I stashed there, just to stop the waves of anxiety and flip flops going on in my stomach.
    A week or two after ending my meeting attendance, the years of anxiety I had been suffering, magically disappeared.

Just wanna say I'm So glad Pete Zahut . Honestly you could have ended up slowly dying that way.Believe me I've seen it happen.👍

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Sour grapes you and I think a lot alike. Great post

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

If he would have brought the end in 1975, close to 800,000 million people would not have been born who now have to die.

Aw...but in true WT "logic" that means that there would have been 800,000 million people that would have never had the oh-so-loving opportunity of joining the WT and avoid being slaughtered simply for being born...

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

It is a shame that when the JW's go to a meeting at the Kingdumb Hell they check their brains in at the door and then they can soak up all of the information from the platform with their heads bobbing up and down. What they hear they have heard a hundred times before. The only thing that is new is "new light."

Just to think that I was a bobblehead at one time. They believe if a householder rejects the magazines from a pimply faced teenager knocking on their door that they have almost signed their death warrant.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

I listened to a Peter Gregerson talk - found the link on here - from years ago. At the end he said the Watchtower was guilty of causing thousands of lives to be lost because of the blood policy, ruining families and smashing peoples faith. That last bit resonated with me.

My husband wasn't a born in, he came into it when he was in his late 20s. He still has faith. He reads the bible and prays and says he feels closer to God.

I was born-in and left last May. I'm 64. I don't know who God is anymore. I have no idea. I can't pray. I don't read the bible. I don't know what to believe. The Watchtower has taken that away from me with their lies.

I know a lot of you don't believe in God. but I would like to. I would like to be comforted by prayer. I would like to have hope. I wish I'd been left alone to find God for myself instead of having it force fed to me and made to feel terrified of God.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

Phoebe,

I know exactly how you feel. I stopped praying and reading the Bible. I now believe that when one dies that is it. I have several family members who are still in the Borg. Everything is about how bad world conditions are, how we need the kingdom, and how good it will be in paradise. They are not enjoying the only life they have because they live in the future.

I have listened to many church services on my phone just to take a peek at what they have to offer. It is better than the Witchtower Company but it just doesn't ring my bell. I guess this is due to the fact that I once believed that I was apart of the only true religion and everyone and everything else was wrong. The end was coming and I was going to be in paradise. When you realize that what you once believed was just a big pile of steaming horse crap it unhinges your belief system.

Sour Grapes

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

Sour Grapes

Good post and very similar to my thoughts. But why blame God? It stroke my mind suddenly and intensive: “the reason for all this mess is simply because there is no God. He or She doesn’t exist.” All kinds of life from flowers, trees, animals, humans, insects, fishes, is simply trying to survive, by eating the others. There is no purpose, there is no test no salvation,,, just the simple fact “try to survive”.. There are no one to blame, No God, No satan, no Jesus, no angels… But from who comes the feelings of love, the love for music, humanistic thoughts? Why does mothers care for their children?

I was a member for more than 30 years. I am now +70, and I live with No God no explanation, and still very happy with my knowledge. My wife is still in, but all my children have been saved, and so my grand children… will come back with more thoughts

• Onager
    Onager

@Phoebe Just because I don't believe in God, doesn't mean that I don't understand your position. There are many qualifications in the various religious books I've looked at for understanding the mysteries of the divine and revealing gods will. You need to be humble before god, listen with understanding etc. etc. Nowhere does it say that you have to be an old, white man.

So you're as equally qualified as anyone else on this planet to discover the truth, to discover god.

Big Hugs!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit