Why I lost my religion

by Sour Grapes 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I was a JW for over 50 years and recently just stopped cold turkey going to the meetings. Years of sitting at the meetings with the boredom, the gloom and doom, repetition of doctrine, the gloom and doom, the fake love, the gloom and doom, the end being so close, do more - do more, just got to be too much for me to stomach.

I stopped praying to god and no longer thank god for the food before I eat. He doesn't give a rat's ass about people. How can I say that? In Revelation 12:9 it says: "The great dragon was hurled down--that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him."

The earth is just a mere speck of dust in the universe and with trillions of other places that God could have thrown Satan to, God chose to confine Satan's activity to where his dear children live, who by the way were created in God's image. I thought that god loved the world so much that he gave his only begotten son as a sacrifice. If you had three children playing in the backyard of your house, would you let a wild lion lose to see what happens? Perhaps you are testing your children as you tell them to run and hide and be obedient to your instructions to avoid being destroyed by the lion. If they didn't listen to you, oh well, maybe they will be resurrected.

For 6,000 years people have been dying, How much time does God need to prove a point about universal sovereignty? Every year 75,000,000 babies are born but thank god 56,000,000 people die each year for a net gain of only 19,000,000 additional people that will need to be murdered at Armageddon by God as his faithful JW's stand in the giggle weeds, or maybe in the bunkers, and rejoice that at last God is destroying 99.9% of the worlds population and in unison they all scream out with smiles on their faces, "See, we told you so!".

Every year that god delays in bringing the end, 19,000,0000 men, women and children must die. If he would have brought the end in 1975, close to 800,000 million people would not have been born who now have to die. That sounds like a lot more people than the "Cart People" have saved.

The reason I stopped thanking god for my food is every year 9,000,000 die of starvation. By thanking god for my food I am saying that he provided the food for me. Why am I so special? If you had three children and had the ability to give them food, would you let your dear children suffer the terrible death of starvation? I have food because I worked my ass off and have a retirement. The money that I earned buys the food that I eat. God did not give me food, Hard working farmers provide the food.

I could go on but I think you see where I a coming from.

Sour Grapes

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

"The earth is just a mere speck of dust in the universe and with trillions of other places that God could have thrown Satan to, God chose to confine Satan's activity to where his dear children live, who by the way were created in God's image."

I never thought of it that way. Very well said, Sour Grapes.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SOUR GRAPES:

Good post. I suppose if I had analyzed it the way you did I might have been out sooner than I was. I hope you find happiness outside the religion. While I am sorry about the broken dreams and loss of some friends, I found acceptance and peace.

The reason I "lost my religion" was because of how I was treated and the bullshit spouted by hypocrites. Like you, I worked my ass off and have a retirement. Otherwise, would God drop food or money down from heaven to help me? Does it work that way?? Would the hypocrites in the religion help me? I wouldn't hold my breath waiting..These people weren't looking out for me: myself, my Aunt and my Dad looked out for me. Plus, I am inclined to think God helps those who help themselves.

If I listened to the religion and the fools there, I would be in a bad situation.

People leave the JW religion for several reasons it seems. Either it's because of faulty doctrine, mistreatment or underlying faith issues or the nature of God.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

In the late 1960's I was going to go to school to get involved with the medical field but two elders told me how foolish it would be to go to school for something that would not be needed in a few years because Armageddon was coming. Instead of going to school I became a laborer and lived paycheck to paycheck for over 20 years until I finally started climbing the ladder at work.

Another reason I lost my religion was the look in my mother's eyes as she lay in a nursing home bed dying of old age realizing that she was going to die just like her parents who thought that they wouldn't die either.

The Watchtower Company is a cruel organization that gives false hope to lonely people.

• steve2
    steve2

Well, you could talk about losing your religion and gaining your mind. Sounds like a great swap to me. Nice to hear you took decisive action.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub
    I was a JW for over 50 years and recently just stopped cold turkey going to the meetings. Years of sitting at the meetings with the boredom, the gloom and doom, repetition of doctrine, the gloom and doom, the fake love, the gloom and doom, the end being so close, do more - do more, just got to be too much for me to stomach.

Hey Sour,

Pretty much sums up my exact experience in my 60+ years as a jw. Totally agree with everything you posted. Unfortunately, I do attend some mind-numbing meetings with my wonderful, 'still-in', wife and my 90 year old m-i-l to appease them even though they know how I truly feel about the wtbts.

I've often tried reasoning with my wife and my M-I-L that thanking god for what he 'gives us' also implies that he doesn't listen to or doesn't care about those who don't receive those supposed things that god gives us! Same as thanking god when someone we know lives through a very horrible accident or survives life threatening disease. Doesn't that imply that god didn't listen to nor answer the prayers of those whose loved ones didn't survive?

Can't have it both ways-----or can you?

just saying!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Years of sitting at the meetings with the boredom, the gloom and doom, repetition of doctrine, the gloom and doom, the fake love, the gloom and doom, the end being so close, do more - do more, just got to be too much for me to stomach.

Same here....I was an anxious depressed wreck and it got to the point that only could attend the Sunday meeting. Even at that, I couldn't get through the Watchtower study without ducking out to my car after the public talk, to have a sip of the beer or wine I stashed there, just to stop the waves of anxiety and flip flops going on in my stomach.

A week or two after ending my meeting attendance, the years of anxiety I had been suffering, magically disappeared. Not dwelling on all the ills of the world and listening to continual dooms day predictions, was all the cure I needed. This gave me the motivation to find out what else I could jettison from my psyche to improve my life.

Your story and thought process pretty much mirrors my own but you've managed to articulate it much better.

Thanks !

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Sour Grapes, Great post, and points! I loved your point about how out of all the universe that God could have thrown Satan, Satan was thrown down to the earth to devour God's Children. (Of course, unless you are of the Anointed you are not one of God's Children even after the 1000 years and a "final" test as if you haven't been tested enough.)

Yes, and I agree with your comments about the Mind Numbing Meetings, Years of sitting at the meetings with the boredom, the gloom, and doom, repetition of doctrine, (yes, all the scriptures divinely and magically point to C.T. Russel, Rutherford, the WTBTS, or some insignificant convention in 1935 at Cedar Point Ohio, etc.) the gloom, and doom, (the public talks with 40 minutes of doom and gloom and 2 minutes of God's Kingdom being the solution and conclusion), the fake love, the gloom and doom, the end being so close, (the end is now ever so closer) do more - do more. (May I add, after you are doing more, that's still not enough? do more)

I was in my early 40's when my doubts and alternative personality finally yelled at me and said, "That's enough." I seldom come to this site anymore, but I will have to say, that now, I truly have peace in my life and hope that you will also find it, my Brother.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I hope you feel better after venting. Thank you for sharing. Your post may help others that may be afraid of taking the step you just took.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    sour g - He was hurled to the earth,and his angels with him

A classic case of 'off loading'. Old invisible sky misery-guts offloaded his problem onto us. (Disclaimer: I do not believe in god).

As Bart Simpson saidImage result for bart simpson thanks for nothing god

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit