Visited My Grandfather

by Saethydd 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

My grandfather is a longtime JW with advanced Parkinson's. On the advice of a good friend mine who is inactive but not "out" I went to visit him Monday and we talked for awhile. His health isn't well, but he was happy to see me. He seemed almost... proud of me for going to college and trying to do something useful with my life. As I was leaving I asked if I could bring a chess board by in a couple days and we could have a game. (He's always loved chess and used to play on a club in high school.) He seemed to be aware that I was disfellowshipped but wanted me to come anyway.

So I went back Wednesday and we played a bit, he's still pretty good for someone with dementia, though he did get confused on the pieces a few times. Things were going well, until my sister walked in, she didn't say anything just gave me a dark look and stormed out. I recall hearing the word "chess" come from the other room where she went to talk to my nuna (grandma). Anyway I didn't let her phase me and just finished my game with him, it was nice getting to see him again. As I was packing up the board he told me to come back again, but when I walked back through the house and said goodbye to my nuna, she asked that I not come to "play a game" with him again because she didn't think grandpa was fully cognizant and didn't want to "offend Jehovah."

I just wish my family could see how fucked up it is to worship a god that would be "offended" by a grandson spending quality time with his dying grandfather while he still could.

• Giordano
    Giordano

It is a screwed up religion....always has been......... Your grandfather enjoyed playing chess with you and he enjoyed your company.

As far as I am concerned it's 'family business' to provide some kindness to a person who is dying.

But hey JW's lets just punish Grand Pa.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Perhaps the issue is with playing a war game such as chess. The "Society" had articles about playing these games decades ago. At least she didn't tell you that you couldn't come back to visit. Or maybe I misunderstood.

• blondie
    blondie

Good for you; I would go back since he asked you to.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

my late dad--a jw for over 50 years went into a care home for his last 3 years. i visited him several days a week--and performed various personal services as part of his care.

-----------------

my daughter---46----lives with her husband and her own 4 daughters----together with her mother ( my first wife )----less than a mile from him. they are staunch dubs.

my first wife visited dad just once in those 3 years---my daughter:- never.--despite me repeatedly asking her to.

i think it was their way of shunning him because they knew he and i had a very close relationship.. what a sad end to his life.

------------------------

in case youre wondering--i hate the watchtower cult.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Go back, see your Grandpa, don't let the shunners get in their way. Tell them he's not going to "offend Jehovah" because he doesn't exist.

If they want to stop you tell social services; it's elder abuse to stop someone who is weak and Ill from receiving guests he wishes to see.

• freddo
    freddo

Saethydd - good for you. Go and visit granddad and ignore the cunning shunts.

Stan - I hope you "tweaked your daughter's nose" over that self righteousness on her part.

But maybe you're more grown up than me!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    He seemed almost... proud of me for going to college and trying to do something useful with my life.

The Parkinson's is destroying the years of indoctrination and his "authentic self" is shining through.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    ignore the cunning shunts.

Are you sure you don't mean "ignore the shunning cu*#s"?

The Parkinson's is destroying the years of indoctrination and his "authentic self" is shining through.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

It just keeps rolling along in its horribleness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit