Overcoming our Evolutionary purpose in order to save mankind (A most interesting discussion)

by TerryWalstrom 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Guys if you know about the Fermi Paradox, I've always wondered if evolution itself IS the GREAT FILTER.

Sounds bonkers, but that's kind of what Weinstein is saying. It may be that all intelligent civilizations end up wiping themselves out once a certain level of tecnological advancement is achieved. That the mechanism that drives that destruction is our own evolutionary biological make-up in the form of 'them and us', 'out' group and 'in' group mistrust and competition.

NB he also states that a memetic virus must have and does have some utility to the individual that carries it in the form of an advantage to its descendent. I disagree. We know there is NO utility for the descendent of the JW meme carrier...no further education worsens the situation for the descendent of a dub, not to mention death due to the blood doctrine may result in zero descendents at all.

• cofty
    cofty
    It may be that all intelligent civilizations end up wiping themselves out once a certain level of tecnological advancement is achieved.

But there is no evidence for any intelligent civilisations apart from our own. We may be unique in all of space and time.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    LUHE One point that Murray and Peterson made that I firmly agree with is that the West shouldn't abandon its Christian heritage/culture because it acts as a buffer against worse cultures

THIS is what concerns me. While Christianity, if you know it, is relatively easy to refute I've often wondered whether doing so publicly leaves the door open for Islam in the minds of westerners. I know the stats claim Islam is on the rise among westerners, how much of that is among white westerners and how much imported I don't know. Islam is harder to refute publicly for a number of reasons, not least because we're not so familiar with it and the PC brigade disapprove. I think it doesn't believe in a necessarily all benevolent God, too.

Anyway it scares me.

• jhine
    jhine

Finkelstein , l am not and never was a JW and l repeat l am not doing the Armageddon is next week thing .

l am not sure that anyone in Syria or Palestine would agree that the world is a better place and the way the Rohingya people are being treated in Myanmar l don't think would lead them to conclude that life is great now .

In the West all the refugees stuck in hell hole camps might find it hard to agree with the life is better than ever now premise . Why are they there , because their neighbours are all lovey dovey ?

In the UK 131,269 CHILDREN will be homeless this Christmas , with the Borough of Westminster ( one of the richest in the country ) cited as the worse hit . How is that allowed to happen in this utopia ?

Deaths from drug overdose are at an all time high in the UK , and a recent report said that gambling problems among school children were at worrying levels

l am not scare mongering and l know that there are ways in which life is better , particularly in the West but human beings just seem to swap one problem for another . There is still violence in the world , children being killed , women being raped as a weapon of war ( !! ) , whole groups of people being displaced , totalitarian regimes using false imprisonment and torture to silence dissent and social problems that get worse ( homelessness and addictions ) in our so called civilised society .

No , l don't see that humanity is actually any better now than at any other time in history . Perhaps for us pampered , fortunate Westerners it is just harder to see .

Rant over , sorry if l have depressed you but l needed to say it ,

Jan

• waton
    waton

According to cofty, evolution has no purpose, but has led to truly amazing results, the flight of the Albatros, preying on abandoned Penguin chicks incubated by males in an Antarctic winter!!! the exact opposite of what you would expect!

In the struggle between families, tribes, cultures there is a great advantage in numbers. The core family morality that was part of strength of the Judeo-Christian make up of the west, but it's renouncing there, has weakened distinct societies. Destroying them further by immigration will hasten that progress.

The planet is getting crowded, overtaxed. A blood letting has to happen. SOS save our souls.

• cofty
    cofty
    The core family morality that was part of strength of the Judeo-Christian make up of the west, but it's renouncing there, has weakened distinct societies. Destroying them further by immigration will hasten that progress - Waton

I agree. What is to be done?

Pretending that the supernatural is real is not an option.

• jhine
    jhine

Cofty , surely by those rules the ball is in your court , and the people who feel that science is the answer to all the world's ills .

It seems plain that education doesn't help , the "baddies" are just more able to cause destruction with better weapons , including using the internet to spread hatred and evil and unrest .

How do we learn to live in harmony worldwide , despite human nature's propensity to hate " the other " as it has been put ?

l don't know how that will happen considering humanity , as we know it , has been on earth 200,000 yrs and we have been considered civilised for 6000 yrs and nothing much has changed .

Jan

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    l don't know how that will happen considering humanity , as we know it , has been on earth 200,000 yrs and we have been considered civilised for 6000 yrs and nothing much has changed .

The changes have obviously been dramatic since industrialisation and modern medicine. The human population has boomed, and it’s going to get exponentially more cozy real soon.

The problems with mankind should be expected, we have only just arrived as a species and we’re getting shit figured out. God will fix things (he doesn’t exist) or Satan is the cause of problems, neither is really a satisfying explanation for anything.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What is to be done?

Pretending that the supernatural is real is not an option - jettison multiculturalism.

Have everyone in Great Britain sign up to be British.

That means everyone in the UK, including migrants and ethnic minorities, must speak English well, must accept British culture as dominant and must be properly integrated into it - must be a part of it.

If anyone disagrees, then life should be made harder for such people.

• jhine
    jhine

LoveUniHateExams ,

Pretending that the supernatural is real is not an option - jettison multiculturalism.

So are you saying ban all religions in the UK ?

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit