Overcoming our Evolutionary purpose in order to save mankind (A most interesting discussion)

by TerryWalstrom 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jhine
    jhine

Politics has only been mentioned briefly on this thread . However political ideology has caused far more deaths than religion . Stalin sent 18 million men and women to his death camps , most of whom did not return .

Hitler was responsible for the deaths of millions . Even today in Communist China there are gross violations of human rights , women forced to have abortions for one .

The Watchtower learnt it's brainwashing techniques from North Korea l believe -another mainly atheist country .

In the anti religious Communism it seems that human life is cheap and disposable . The problem with the world is human nature , and no , it is not getting better . We won't evolve into some Utopian society where everyone is equal and we all love each other .

Jan

• cofty
    cofty
    The problem with the world is human nature

Humans are the most amazing thing to happen in the entire history of our universe. We also have the potential for total destruction.

The need for belonging to groups defined by kin, geography, beliefs and ideologies will never change. The challenge is how we allow that without hating and destroying the ‘other’.

• jhine
    jhine

Absolutely Cofty , but it is naive to think that if religion was somehow eradicated then the world would automatically become a better place . You have to allow for all the good religion does as well . In my village there is a housing project for homeless young people , started by the then vicar . We are a CAP ( Christians against Poverty ) church helping people out of debt . Countless schools and orphanages have been built by people of faith . Many of the major charities Oxfam , CAFOD , Christian Aid and countless others have their beginnings in Jesus' teaching to " love our neighbour as ourselves "

NO , we shouldn't have to be religious to help our fellow man but it does seem to make people more inclined to do so .

Religion , like political ideology can be used for good or evil , so can science . It is a tool that can cure diseases or create new ones as weapons ,

Jan

• darth frosty
  • redvip2000
    redvip2000
    The problem with the world is human nature , and no , it is not getting better .

Based on what? Sounds like the same point my mother was making during my last visit -- in true JW fashion -- that the world is definitely getting worse.

When I made the point that statistics show that it really is getting better, a blank stare. When I asked what is making her think this way, she said: "Well the news".

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The best time and place to live in - whether you are male or female, black or white, straight or gay, religious or atheist, healthy or sick, rich or poor - is right now, 4 Dec 2018, in The West.

It is self-evidently the case.

That said, there are still problems that need sorting out.

Although Science will sort the majority of our problems, there is room for solutions from sensible politics.

• jhine
    jhine

Hi Redvip2000, l didn't say that the world is getting worse , just that generally speaking humanity as a whole isn't getting better . Yes , you only have to watch the news to know that , man's inhumanity to man never ceases . Of course good things happen and people also do really good things as well as bad , that has always been the case . l am NOT doing the JW thing of pointing to Armageddon just around the corner . l am disagreeing with the idea that somehow humanity will pull itself up by it's own bootstraps by means of education , or scientific advancement .

Yes most places do have better schools , medicine and housing but those things don't necessarily make people BEHAVE any better or like each other any more .

Jan

• cofty
    cofty
    generally speaking humanity as a whole isn't getting better

I don't think I agree Jan.

There has never been a time in all human history when there has been such an extended period of peace and a respect for human rights.

It is without dispute that we are faced with many self-inflicted causes for unease, but compare now with any other time and we really are getting better.

• amiable atheist
    amiable atheist

Marked for later. - But I noticed the oxymoron in the title of the thread:

Evolutionary purpose -- WTF?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes most places do have better schools , medicine and housing

but those things don't necessarily make people BEHAVE any better

or like each other any more .

Wrong assertion statistically humanity behaved worse in previous centuries, but of course you have to study human history to know that.

One shouldn't take ignorant and biased information from an end of the world apocalyptic religion like the JWS alone.

The point being that in accordance to populations growth world wide and relating to percentages, humanity has learned to coexist more cohesively in a civil manner.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit