Overcoming our Evolutionary purpose in order to save mankind (A most interesting discussion)

by TerryWalstrom 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Jordan Peterson is a vacuous poseur.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I see where his theological concepts comes from in that hierarchy power should come from the almighty god the creator, since he is the creator of all things, the moral social imperative must emanate from him.

I disagree of course

Here is part 2 of this discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEf6X-FueMo

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Dawkins anti-religion stance is blinding his reasoning, like he has created a brand that he has to protect. Religion is awful at full throttle all the time, and some science..

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yes, I saw the Peterson v Harris debates, including the ones in Dublin and London that included Douglas Murray.

Sam Harris's points were spot on. Peterson was kinda arguing that we can seek metaphor in religion and that's where its value lies, whether you're a member of organised religion or not.

While Peterson may have a point, just think of all the bloodshed that religious beliefs have caused, throughout the centuries and today.

A heavy price for some metaphor, no?

And Peterson even admits that we can get the same or similar benefit from fictional stories, hero stories, the arts, etc.

One point that Murray and Peterson made that I firmly agree with is that the West shouldn't abandon its Christian heritage/culture because it acts as a buffer against worse cultures.

I was impressed with the quality and tone of the discussions. Peterson and Harris are intelligent, articulate, decent men.

I wasn't particularly impressed with Peterson in this instance.

Here you had an intelligent guy trying to argue the impossible!

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

With religion in full force up to 1859 when Darwin book came out on Origin of the Species it has been only 160 years evolutions has become a counter belief. With that in mind it will take some time for humans to evolve enough to put religion behind them. If this world can survive the hate religion causes we will see a time in the future where hopefully this planet will stop being destroyed. I don't believe you need religion to be moral. But it seems to me you need religion to learn to hate others. As it has been said before or the gist of it "bad people do bad things but religion causes good people to do bad things". Still Totally ADD

• Charles Gillette
    Charles Gillette

John Lennon's Imagine. Will it ever happen? I am sure it will, but not in the near future,in the distance future our children's children.

• Charles Gillette
    Charles Gillette

JP 1692 Agreed,not the believer,the cultural belief and religious organizations.

I was a watchtower slave for 33 years 1969 thru 2002. I am 73 years old now.

As Terry pointed out kindness, empathy and listening I think is the way now. And yet I understand where Dawkins is coming from.

• cofty
    cofty
    John Lennon's Imagine. Will it ever happen? I am sure it will, but not in the near future,in the distance future our children's children

I really doubt it will. I'm not even sure it would be desirable. It's a prayer for tedious homogeneity.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Long live supernatural influence ?...I hope not !

• cofty
    cofty

‘Religion binds and blinds’ - Jonathan Haidt.

How do we replace its ability to bind without lying to ourselves about reality?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit